4X4 Advise Please

Mollys Dad

Do any of you use 4x4s for your dogs? I know Andy recently baught a Jeep, and some of our American members have mentioned pickups. We are looking at a couple of Discoverys (Discoveries doesn't look right?) and loved the first one we drove which was over budget but the dealer was local, just in case we hated it, before we start going however far to look at more realistic examples. Any suggestions / tips / things to avoid / etc?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we got a freelander love it dogs easy in and out fixing points for leads to stop them jumping clean out realy well but we still put pads down thay look like big bits of puzzel  and half the hard top comes off in summer (DEFO GETS SHUT OF HAIRS) :D in snow no prob and back low enough to sit on

we got a freelander love it dogs easy in and out fixing points for leads to stop them jumping clean out realy well but we still put pads down thay look like big bits of puzzel  and half the hard top comes off in summer (DEFO GETS SHUT OF HAIRS) :D in snow no prob and back low enough to sit on

I looked at the Freelander and decided it didn't have enough room in the boot for my guys.

That's why I ended up with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Do any of you use 4x4s for your dogs? I know Andy recently baught a Jeep, and some of our American members have mentioned pickups. We are looking at a couple of Discoverys (Discoveries doesn't look right?) and loved the first one we drove which was over budget but the dealer was local, just in case we hated it, before we start going however far to look at more realistic examples. Any suggestions / tips / things to avoid / etc?

Give peeps some info to base their suggestions on.

How many dogs, Kids and adults does it have to carry on an average journey.

Will you need to fit all your camping gear etc for camp in as well ??

We've been having this same discussion lately. We would really like a Freelander/Discovery to get monster dog in, and with a potential child in the future we need to think of how much stuff can we cram into it including the hound :D

We have the Jeep and it has a very spacious boot.

However. . . . 

Edens stuff can fill it without breaking a sweat.

When she goes to stay at her nans 

Pram, bouncer, bags and bags of clothes and nappies and sterilizers etc.

WOW !! the amount of stuff a tiny baby needs.

and. . . . 

Don't forget half the back seat gets taken up with a baby seat big enough for King Kong. :eek:

Get the biggest boot you can.:up:

Give peeps some info to base their suggestions on.

How many dogs, Kids and adults does it have to carry on an average journey.

Will you need to fit all your camping gear etc for camp in as well ??

Ok, good point!

2 adults with or without a teenager, 2xSibes 1xMal - all 9 stone of him...

Fitting all the camping gear in is a must, although I do have a large roof box - not all Discos have roof bars though. Looking at getting a caravan, which would mean no tent and all the other camping gear including bikes could go in the caravan, so no need for bike rack / roof box.

It seems that the series 2 has a longer boot - bad for 'serious' off-roading, but more space - the only off roading we are looking at is camping fields which any car can cope with if driven carefully, and the usual cr@ppy cratered roads that the council c.b.a. to repair...

No need for baby seat / buggies etc - not having any more kids!

We have the Jeep and it has a very spacious boot.

However. . . . 

Edens stuff can fill it without breaking a sweat.

When she goes to stay at her nans 

Pram, bouncer, bags and bags of clothes and nappies and sterilizers etc.

WOW !! the amount of stuff a tiny baby needs.

and. . . . 

Don't forget half the back seat gets taken up with a baby seat big enough for King Kong. :eek:

Get the biggest boot you can. :up:

When you put it like that maybe a small 18 wheeler would be suitable instead :rofl:

When you put it like that maybe a small 18 wheeler would be suitable instead :rofl:

LOL yeah !!! :)

I just switched from a small SUV to a car not too long ago and now with Knox being added I will def be going back to a larger SUV in a couple of years.

Looking at jeeps or maybe a Tahoe. My boyfriend has a truck and its practical but not really much room in the back seat and I don't let my dogs ride in the back of it as its not safe. Not sure what options you have over there but besides outrageous gas prices bigger is better!

We have an 06 Honda crv.. It's a 4x4 and gets us through heavy snow. It's not on the scale of the defender or disco's but does us. There's room in the back for four sibes although we struggle camping with 2x adults2xteens 4 dogs and all gear (huge tent)which most goes in the roof box but some in the car. We have the leather interior so its good for fur and we have a fitted tray in the floor of the boot that comes out for mopping an hoovering. We haven't figured out how to get the canoe an the camping stuff on the roof at the same time lol

The difference between the newer models an the one we have is they're higher, have more clearance and the boot door opens like a hatch back and not side opening like ours.

We have an 06 Honda crv.. It's a 4x4 and gets us through heavy snow. It's not on the scale of the defender or disco's but does us. There's room in the back for four sibes although we struggle camping with 2x adults2xteens 4 dogs and all gear (huge tent)which most goes in the roof box but some in the car. We have the leather interior so its good for fur and we have a fitted tray in the floor of the boot that comes out for mopping an hoovering. We haven't figured out how to get the canoe an the camping stuff on the roof at the same time lol

The difference between the newer models an the one we have is they're higher, have more clearance and the boot door opens like a hatch back and not side opening like ours.

This is what you need

post-1354-0-87020000-1361056883_thumb.jp

It sounds like you don't actually need a 4 x 4, if this is the case you maybe better off with something like the CRV which isn't permanent 4 wheel drive and will therefore have better MPG.  I had the 2 litre petrol CRV which was one of the best cars I've owned but being a petrol the mpg wasn't great but you have to go a long way to beat the reliability of a japanese car

There you go big enough for all of you :)

You'd be better off with the Navigator than the Hummer as they had a big problem with the front hubs. Some were known to have the wheels fall off ;).      We have a freelander at the moment. We can get 4 dogs in comfortably and it does have the tabs so that you can tie them in but you loose the rear seats. I would like to swop it for a Mitsubishi Pajero. You can pick them up at a very reasonable price and they are very sturdy and reliable. I believe that some do suffer with head problems but I think it's more to do with the previous owners not looking after them properly. Most are Automatics, very rare to find a manual. If you have a lot to cater for it won't matter to much which 4x4 you go for as they are not massive in the back so you would probably need a trailer of some sort. This is the way I am going. Whatever I ger, whether it be a Pajero or I stick with the Freelander I will have to get a trailer of some description as well. Or just buy a Navigator :rofl: .

1_zpsc6bfc191.jpg

5_zpsdbce75b3.jpg

Gary.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a pick up truck (Ford Ranger Wildtrack) without a lid so hubby had to construct something to keep the dogs in - the wind blows through the fur and they love it.  We have had a Mitsubishi Trojan with a lid and that was awesome to and easy to clean - I would proberly recommend a pick up truck with a lid if asked  :-)

We have a pick up truck (Ford Ranger Wildtrack) without a lid so hubby had to construct something to keep the dogs in - the wind blows through the fur and they love it.  We have had a Mitsubishi Trojan with a lid and that was awesome to and easy to clean - I would proberly recommend a pick up truck with a lid if asked  :-)

So when they are blowing . . . .

every day chuck them in the back of the truck and do 20 miles up the local motorway and back.

At 70mph it's better than brushing :P