Zoomies And Playful Aggression

markquinton

Hi all

I've got a 12 week old mally pup (girl) and she is great although it is a massive learning curve.

My question is....is it normal for pups to want to bite (nip) you when having the mad zoomies. Jazz our pup runs around like made, jumps on the sofas (which she is not allowed to do) and then runs past us and tries to nip us with her teeth and sometimes grab hold of our cuffs on our jumpers or trouser legs. I am guessing that this is just because she has gotten over excited and loses control a little. My 5 year old boy is an easy target when she does this and he gets a little panicky. Is this something to worry about or is it perfectly normal? For the rest of the time she's a very loving girl and gives plenty of licks when we get home, she is still nipping like most other puppies though.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi. Our Kodiak used to do this when he had a case of the zoomies too. He still grabs hold of my arm if he wants something now and if he wants to go a different way when we are walking! When he was teething it was worse but the best thing was to stand up fold our arms and turn away from him. He soon got the message :) However, now he is 52.5kg and still growing we just get out of the way if a case of the zoomies strikes. We did loads of reading about Mals and were very glad that we did. He is our goofy bundle of fluff and I wouldn't change him for the world.

oh aye this is normal! lol I call it the Purple Mist! Eyes glaze over, tongue hangs out, runs like a lunatic from one end of the house, doesn't care what is in her road-it will get trodden on and a few nips. yep all too familiar lol It is blooming hilarious though! It's just excitement. as long as no one gets hurt or anything gets broken just let her play it out :)

She's only 12 weeks, she'll grow out of it in time, however i'm not too sure she'll stop it during the zoomies, my girl is two years old and will still nip the odd time when she's over excited.  You could try making your hands unavailable during the zoomies so she had nothing to grab? 

Most puppies I've seen like to nip and tug on you, Its all play in their eyes. A firm "uh uh" and give her something more suitable to chew might help. It does get better as they get older. Bear has stopped entirely now and ice only does it to stop me from stroking bear as he's jealous!

I'm going through the same thing with Deifen who gets the zoomies and nothing is safe from his jaws

He tried nipping Polee last night which was a mistake as she just showed him her teeth are much bigger. Ive not seen him recover from the zoomies so quickly before

Glad it's normal. I must admit the boisterous side of puppyhood is something I can't wait to be over, I need to working on the 'drop it' command as well as at present she is stealing items and growling quite angrily when we are trying to retrieve the item, she's caught both me and my wife so far and made us bleed. She's got a lovely nature normally though just very possessive.

My puppy growls when I try to take a toy (or sock, or whatever other item she gets her teeth into) away, but it's not anger, it's part of playing (she wants a tug of war). She also sometimes growls when she's running around outside and gets in her pounce position at my feet. I can tell her anger growl, and it only happens if you grab her collar while her food bowl is full.  If your puppy is actually growling angrily I'd try to get some help on the aggression/guarding issues. It's cute enough when they're little, but someday she'll be big - then it won't be cute it will be scary!

But I'm with you! I'm ready for her to be a bit less nippy! I