Why K.c Registration?

Keeonah

This is a question and an observation. Whilst not wishing to upset or annoy anyone but I was just wondering why it is so important that dogs have to be Kennel Club Registered?. All mine are, but the aggravation I had doing it was unbelievable. I filled out all the paperwork, which, in itself, for a husky, is difficult. We all know how much a husky can change after birth so the questions about colour were going to be difficult to say the least. I waited until I was fairly certain we had the right details. I  sent all the relevant payment details off, which, to my dismay, were cashed immediately. Not so bad but I was then informed that the breeders name that I wanted, and during a previous phone call told I could have, sounded similar to someone elses and therefore would not be permitted. Spelling was completely different, the pronunciation was different and the other person was nothing to do with Huskies. I then, very quickly had to change all the pups names to suit what the kennel club wanted, not what i wanted and then had to wait 3 weeks to get the money refunded to my bank account. My daughters pups are all pedigree, all have certificates, all have 5 generation paperwork, she has the breeder name that she wanted and it was only half the cost of the Kennel club. Are the K.C getting to particular. What are your thoughts on this. Please don't be too hard on me, it's only a question ;)

Gary.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we never intended to breed any of ours we never bothered to get them KC reg.

We have the paperwork for Darwin however he was already neutered when we rehomed him.

What I have found on other Husky forums, when you say mine is not a show dog and is not KC reg and will never be bred is simply loved as a cherished pet.

Oh, Lordy you get shunned and hateful remarks about your "Mutt" etc.

Here at Husky-Owners, it's simple. . . we don't care.

As long as you love your pooch we are happy, papers or no papers, don't care.

We are here for the love of the Husky, We don't do Elitism here. :up:

for me it was important to do the buying puppy thing correctly this time.

I didnt the first time and bought a crossbreed.

Not that id change storm now but I was naieve.

I want to show my aurora, properly in kc classes even just in companion comps.

Thats why I have gotten a kc pup.

People may be surprised by this but shadow is kc registered because my ex wanted to stud him out! He is now neutered :) so the papers do not matter to me though I like that I have 5 generations of his family :)

Skye is not registered as she is a cross :)

Hurley's parents are K.C. registered but Hurley is not as the previous owner didn't want to deal with the painful process of registering Hurley and her brother. But seeing as both dogs are fixed and were intended as family pets, not breeders or show dogs, I don't mind the fact that she she is not registered. I do believe that next Husky I own (yes, i'm sold, I will probably get another in the future) I will probably get a pup from a registered breeder and maybe (big maybe) get into shows.

The papers are good to have as you can look at the dogs behind yours, which I do wish I could do with Keyusha as she may have a problem with her eye, if I knew her parentage I could find out what it might be (if its hereditary) 

If you daughters pups are registered but not with the kennel club im guess its something like Dog Lovers Registration? Sorry to say but 'papers' from them aren't worth the paper they're written on and prove nothing about the dogs ancestory, you can put almost any dog you want on the papers, and it doesnt mean they can enter any shows/club events etc

Having papers makes like a whole lot easier if you want to participate in anything, shows or rallies especially. Without papers you're limited to fun dog shows and only open working events, which are few and far between unfortunately.

There are only 3-5 races a year that my guys can enter, and only 2 of those are close enough for us to go to! If they were registered we could do loads

I'm not sure about kennel names, but it was fairly painless for me to register Yuki with the AKC :S I only did it because I wanted to try some events out with her when she was older, agility, whatever might interest her. Plus I can now register her with the UKC and participate in UKC altered shows if I want to which might be fun! Good luck with everything, sorry its being irritating for you xx

And to add onto what Sid said.. my Cloud has APR "America's Pet Registry" papers. They're worth nothing xD

Here we have a few different registertrations.  The American Kennel Club is the largest and that is what Yukon is registered with, but he has a limited registration which means I could never stud him out (hes neutered anyway, wasn't interested).  Nikko is with the American Canine Association, which is much smaller and less popular.  I don't plan on showing them, and with the AKC you can still do rally's

See, this is why I love this forum. The question was pretty much answered in the first few replies but with the extra answers other little points came to life. Love the fact that on here no-one cares one way or the other as long as you have a passion for the breed yet on that other site your treated as though you have the plague or something if you don't possess the required KC papers. Sid hit the nail on the head though. Yes Sid she has registered them with Dog Lovers but I can't understand why it is that, even though they have a pedigree and they also have a 5 generation family tree, identical to the KC, THE PAPERWORK IS USELESS. I can understand that you would need KC paperwork if you wanted to enter KC shows and events but for other events not run by KC then if you have pedigree paperwork, no matter who has issued it, you should be allowed to enter. This then comes back to the original question. Why KC? It does annoy me that certain businesses have a monopoly over everyone else and if your not in their little gang you don't count.

Gary.

When we got our first Siberians we wondered how worth it it would be to register them.  Both were spayed/neutered so there was no show or breeding potential, what was the point.  It wasn't a big deal, and it wasn't hard to register them once we decided to do it.  The papers basically sat in a file folder in our file cabinet for years.  Now we have younger Siberians of quality breeding that we registered and now show, and then started running the Siberians on a sled team including our older dogs and because they are registered purebreds we are able to compete in the purebred class races.  Never in a million years when I got Dakota and Juneau could I have imagined this is where we'd be :) so it has proven to be worth it.

As for the kennel name, the name is who bred the dog and if you intend to start your own line your kennel name follows the Reg'd name so in example my girl Kenna is:

Galena Creek's Born Of Fire At Keahi

She is bred by Galena Creek, but is owned by me at Keahi Siberians-

Having spoken at length with a very well known breeder who has since retired from racing/breeding/showing. 5 generations on paperwork is in her opinion laughable. 5 generations is nothing in the scheme of things it equates to a minimum of 10 yrs generational breeding history. Anyone who is willing to pay the fees can have hip an eye scoring done and there by have their pups KC registered. ( Assuming those scores are within KC guidelines)It doesn't mean their dog was any better in the way of 'breed standard' than one that hasn't had those checks done. They don't have to show it, race it, win awards for its looks or prowess in harness. It just has to pass a couple of screenings and have its parentage proven. The fact it has parents already screened means its more likely to pass the tests unless it has some abnormality previously unknown. It does secure a better outlook as far as hips an eyes go for the puppy's over all future but aside from those two things everything is unproven. The are no guarantees.

What I'm attempting to say badly is, even KC registration doesn't mean you have the best of what the 'breed standard' is considered to be. And there are many levels of 'breeder'

BYB's have a bad reputation. Puppy farms also have a bad rep producing dogs that are considered substandard even though carrying KC reg have a bad rep. What about ' bare minimum breeders' ? Buy a well bred dog (with its 5 generation pedigree) get the checks an breed from her using a stud. Never look at form, temperament, intelligence. Never show, or race her. All you want is her womb.

These are just thoughts running through my head on the subject of 'good breeding'

Ok off me soap box now lol

You are right that Registered does not equate to quality.  You as a potential buyer have to do a bit more research to get quality pups.  But just because you do or don't do the required research into your breeder does not discount the registry IMO.  If you find a breeder that has for generations health tested their parent lines then there is a higher guarantee you will be getting a healthy pup, vs having a singular breeding pair from line the breeder knows nothing about, they may have done nothing to prove quality on, but did health testing though the parent lines had not been tested you get no such guarantee.  Is that the fault of the registry?  Not IMO-

You are right that Registered does not equate to quality.  You as a potential buyer have to do a bit more research to get quality pups.  But just because you do or don't do the required research into your breeder does not discount the registry IMO.  If you find a breeder that has for generations health tested their parent lines then there is a higher guarantee you will be getting a healthy pup, vs having a singular breeding pair from line the breeder knows nothing about, they may have done nothing to prove quality on, but did health testing though the parent lines had not been tested you get no such guarantee.  Is that the fault of the registry?  Not IMO-

I agree completely that quality has nothing to do with registry. Registry doesn't dictate show winners.

But here is some food for thought for everyone. Have you ever gotten a dog that was defective by breed standards (registered or not) but the deformity was just so cute that you couldn't resist?

For instance, my dog is slightly deformed. Her tail does not curl over the top of her body like its supposed to. It cork screws to the side. While it will still stand over her back, its curls in a corkscrew manner. While in a show this would be frowned on, but I think its the best thing about her! So while yes, if you are paying good money for a quality for a dog with little health issue in its lineage, would you pass on a pup due to a slight physical difference that is not typical of the breed? (assuming this was for a family pet)

I agree completely that quality has nothing to do with registry. Registry doesn't dictate show winners.

But here is some food for thought for everyone. Have you ever gotten a dog that was defective by breed standards (registered or not) but the deformity was just so cute that you couldn't resist?

For instance, my dog is slightly deformed. Her tail does not curl over the top of her body like its supposed to. It cork screws to the side. While it will still stand over her back, its curls in a corkscrew manner. While in a show this would be frowned on, but I think its the best thing about her! So while yes, if you are paying good money for a quality for a dog with little health issue in its lineage, would you pass on a pup due to a slight physical difference that is not typical of the breed? (assuming this was for a family pet)

I've found that when a breeder has a pup of show quality they normally want that dog to be shown rather then go to a pet home, which makes sense to me seeing as they put so much work into their dogs. I would never want to take a dog of breed standard if there was    

someone who planned to make the dogs potential of better use.

A lot of people who are looking for a pet will go for the dog that looks "a little different" I've found too.     :)

I've found that when a breeder has a pup of show quality they normally want that dog to be shown rather then go to a pet home, which makes sense to me seeing as they put so much work into their dogs. I would never want to take a dog of breed standard if there was    

someone who planned to make the dogs potential of better use.

A lot of people who are looking for a pet will go for the dog that looks "a little different" I've found too.     :)

I've never actually bought from a breeder personally. Pedigree was never really something I looked for him a pet. I like to rescue.

But the first time i saw my dogs crazy tail, i was in love!

I've never actually bought from a breeder personally. Pedigree was never really something I looked for him a pet. I like to rescue.

But the first time i saw my dogs crazy tail, i was in love!

I agree some dogs can have really cute features and btw do you have cats?

I do and every rescue I've seen in my area wouldn't get on with a cat.

I came by a rescue once on an overseas rescue and fell in love with it, to bad that was never going to happen lol.

I do have a cat, and the dog is weary of the cat. They get along for the most part, but she is a little scared of cat i think. My Husky is broken. She doesnt scream, run off the leash, dig, she likes cats and other small animals, and she doesnt really blow her coat.

I do have a cat, and the dog is weary of the cat. They get along for the most part, but she is a little scared of cat i think. My Husky is broken. She doesnt scream, run off the leash, dig, she likes cats and other small animals, and she doesnt really blow her coat.

Promise this is the last off topic thing I'll say so I don't mess the thread up too much, but I hate the term "broken" used for a dog and any other kind of put down, I wouldn't worry about those things if you love her  :)

It was a joke. Regardless of the fact that she has traits not typical of the breed. I love my dog more than anything and the term "broken" was a joke, not a put down. It was kind of a way to describe how untypical she is of the breed. Would I trade her in? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Buying a pet is certainly different than buying for purpose or function.  I'd never discount a deformity unless it was dangerous to the health or well being of the animal or if it was being used for further gain of the breeder that produced it.  What many people don't understand is though a curly tail might be 'cute' it goes against the actual breed standard.  A tail that curls tightly or 'snaps' back over the back or body actually indicates a bad rear end.  A bad rear is detrimental to the functionality of the breed.  Does it mean the dog can't be a quality pet?  No, so hopefully no one will misconstrue what I've said.  Some of my best companions have been rescues, puppy mill products, BYB dogs, etc.  Though they are nothing more than pets that I love, most of them aren't able to do the job the breed was designed to do.

When you are paying large amounts of your hard earned money you deserve to be getting what you've paid for.  Not just padding the pockets of irresponsible breeders.  I believe that you deserve a healthy happy puppy that is bred for breed type, function, personality, etc.  It's not fair to anyone to purchase a pup that spends more time at the vet, or on medications, or whatever because the breeder was just looking to make a quick buck.

Buying a pet is certainly different than buying for purpose or function.  I'd never discount a deformity unless it was dangerous to the health or well being of the animal or if it was being used for further gain of the breeder that produced it.  What many people don't understand is though a curly tail might be 'cute' it goes against the actual breed standard.  A tail that curls tightly or 'snaps' back over the back or body actually indicates a bad rear end.  A bad rear is detrimental to the functionality of the breed.  Does it mean the dog can't be a quality pet?  No, so hopefully no one will misconstrue what I've said.  Some of my best companions have been rescues, puppy mill products, BYB dogs, etc.  Though they are nothing more than pets that I love, most of them aren't able to do the job the breed was designed to do.

When you are paying large amounts of your hard earned money you deserve to be getting what you've paid for.  Not just padding the pockets of irresponsible breeders.  I believe that you deserve a healthy happy puppy that is bred for breed type, function, personality, etc.  It's not fair to anyone to purchase a pup that spends more time at the vet, or on medications, or whatever because the breeder was just looking to make a quick buck.

I've still never felt worthy of a well bred dog due to not having prior experience with the breed, I could afford it and had looked at the website's of these breeders but again I wouldn't feel worthy.

I've still never felt worthy of a well bred dog due to not having prior experience with the breed, I could afford it and had looked at the website's of these breeders but again I wouldn't feel worthy.

How else do you get experience with the breed though?  I have rescued many that may look like the breed, but truly don't act like or reflect the health or functionality of the breed.  Rescue is a great option if that's what you want to do, don't get me wrong.  I will always suggest rescue for companion animals first, and if that is just not the route you want to go suggest responsible breeders that take care in producing healthy quality puppies.

You should always feel deserving of getting what you pay for IMO.  You wouldn't pay the price of a new BMW and settle for a used Honda, so why pay the same or more than you would for a health tested quality puppy for a puppy that comes from unproven lines, non-health tested lines.

To me personally I think there are two reasons for kc registration. The first being that it provides buyers with a certain sense of security that the pup they're buying is less likely to suffer from generic disorders and more likely to be raised ethically. The second is for people who intend to work/race/show their pups. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your dog. Neither of mine are as far as I'm aware (all rehomes albeit young rehomes) and they're both neutered and purely just family pets. It doesn't matter to me the circumstances of their birth, I work with what I've got.