Need Advice Asap

LittleLuka

okay i'm having a really hard time trying to make the right choice here. here's my problem:

all of my facebook friends know i'm bonkers for huskies so they've all tagged me in a husky that is stuck in a local shelter. It is a high-kill shelter and if he's not adopted he will be put to sleep. i want to go get him and at least foster him until he can find his forever home.

the problem is my boyfriend who happens to live with me. he's already told me he doesn't want 3 dogs right now and that he isn't sure about fostering because he thinks i'll get attached. i'm fully aware that i will get attached, i love dogs, i love huskies, and i will love this guy. HOWEVER, the reward of seeing him in a forever home with a family that loves him and takes care of him will allow me to let him go. When we found Knox i fell in love with his sister but we found her a new home. I didn't actually ask to keep Knox, Josh just wanted to keep him and i agreed.

So I want to go get this guy today. Should I ask Josh knowing that he will pretty much say No or go ahead and get him and bring him home? BTW i am perfectly capable of affording his care so that isn't a concern.

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know, it's a big decision - I think I'd probably at least TELL him that's what you're going to do. I think he probably deserves that level of respect. If he has to live there too, it's his living space as well. I know it's a life we're talking about, but I'd still probably tell him. I mean, it's not like he isn't going to find out when he sees the dog there!

I don't know, it's a big decision - I think I'd probably at least TELL him that's what you're going to do. I think he probably deserves that level of respect. If he has to live there too, it's his living space as well. I know it's a life we're talking about, but I'd still probably tell him. I mean, it's not like he isn't going to find out when he sees the dog there!

oh i'm not trying to hide it from him. i just know that when he sees him he will get over it. haha i'm worried if i try to talk to him i'll get a flat out no.

I'd still probably say I was going to do it. I'd feel like his feelings should be taken into consideration when making big decisions like that. Of course I haven't gone totally husky crazy yet and am struggling just with one dog - so who knows how I would react once this pup is bigger and (hopefully) better behaved!

I do bring home an awful lot of shoes without asking though...

Make it clear is temporary. That you're a stopgap to proper longterm home and reinforce you've done that previously. Also remember there so many dogs in need of this care and only one you. There's a limit to what you can achieve :)

Good luck :)

Oh an don't forget, you're on your jollies soon..

Before bringing him in the home, can you take luka to see how they get on? Is he puppy friendly?

doubtful, it's not like a rescue. basically it's a regular animal shelter they adopt out to anyone and they don't hold dogs. the dogs that run out of time are pts. sadly in smaller areas (like tipton county) not too far from me there are many many strays and this is a common thing. apparently they will let me see him with other dogs before i take him though so that'll help. luka gets on with everyone so if he's laid back and happy luka will be too.

I would still talk to my OH. My finace and I do not make any decisions without consulting the other one and telling each other our reasons for why we want to do it and our reasons for why we would say yes or no. Granted I am stubborn (possibly more then my husky but that is highly debatable) but I at least try to see his point of view and make sure I let him know what my stance is and why I think what I think. Make sure to stress that it is temporary and that it was him that wanted to keep knox not you and that you were attached to his sister but gave her up and you are willing to do the same with this one.

I would defiantly want to go and get him, but I think I would at least try and talk my OH round first

Not sure if this was supposed to be definately or as it is defiantly but love the second option. It's always good to talk but there is a dogs life on the line. You will have to play this one how you see it. Good Luck.

Gary.

When I got Ryn, I waited  until two days before she came home to tell my husband. He was absolutely against getting a husky. While I respect his opinion, the reality is that I love huskies. I've never had more than one at a time. The thing is, he purchases what he wants, when he wants and many times I don't agree with his decision. Yet I never let that come between us.

I brought Ryn home, much to his dismay. He restated that he didn't want a "dam* puppy" and I stated that he didn't need anymore "dam* fishing equipment". Stand-off.

Ryn's here, she's spoiled rotten by both of us and he still purchases fishing poles.

Sometimes, you have to do what's right for you. 

i'm sort of in the same situation, only we'd be keeping this girl (i just posted about her) dh is on board with it but we have kids so it makes the situation a lot more tricky.        -- i say go for it, tell your bf that you intend to foster - can you make some sort of contract with him?   lol, i've rescued dogs and fostered, always hard to give up but oh so rewarding to see the bond between the new owner and dog.  i would hope your bf would be forgiving :) 

I def understand you want to help, but I think it's very important to make sure it's ok with all that are living in the house first. You have to think about how you would feel if you told him something you didn't feel was a good idea and then he went and did it anyway. It's a break of trust and respect. I'd just talk to him some more, try to assure him it'll only be a foster.  

I hope it works out, best of luck!

Not sure if this was supposed to be definately or as it is defiantly but love the second option. It's always good to talk but there is a dogs life on the line. You will have to play this one how you see it. Good Luck.

Gary.

Was supposed to be the first one, but now you mention it..........:) good luck with your decision it's a hard one to make

Okay, thank you all for your replies.

Here's the thing, he does bring home things without talking to me about it first. I didn't make a complaint when he went out and spent 1200 USD on a stupid AR (gun) that he will never use. I have decided that I will talk to him about it tonight because the shelter is closed today but if he says no i'm doing it anyways. If he doesn't want to help save this dog's life then honestly i'm with the wrong person anyways. That may sound harsh but i'm not the type of person to have someone control my life. I do things for him because they are important to him and I expect the same.

I def understand you want to help, but I think it's very important to make sure it's ok with all that are living in the house first. You have to think about how you would feel if you told him something you didn't feel was a good idea and then he went and did it anyway. It's a break of trust and respect. I'd just talk to him some more, try to assure him it'll only be a foster.  

I hope it works out, best of luck!

I don't control his life, i give him advice on things but ultimately it's his decision because it's his life. and i expect the same. if he makes a decision to do something against my wishes than that's on him but i try to be respectful of his decisions.

Gary.

Gary, yeh, I saw that too and decided it was a typo :) but then again it may not have been ... << LOL >>