Do You Pick Your Battles?

Chula

I seriously cannot keep up with all the things Chula decides to chew/shred. I gave up on her doggie bed and will give it to her when I need a break so she can continue to destroy it. She got ahold of a plastic Tupperware dish and I let her chew on it for a few minutes while I finished washing dishes. I have found her halfway through a piece of mail and usually just let her finish.

I do stop her from chewing the couch, shoes, clothing, wirees, electronics etc but if I took away everything she chews I'd spend the whole day yanking things out of her mouth. Am I preparing her for a future of naughtiness?

I figure she knows she can chew her toys its probably confusing for her to know what's allowed and what isn't in a world of a million things that look so dang chewable.

Sigh I know I need to stay on it but I'm downright tired!! I'm considering going to a hotel during the day just to sleep for 8 straight hours!

Ours have had cushions from my daughters bed (scatter cushions) that she no longer wanted.. They've had one each, the boys have had theirs on the floor with their blankets when we leave them in the kitchen. The girls have them in their crates, for weeks! Today we left them for an hour... An came back to de stuffed cushions!!!! Why!! They know ill remove them now lol daft dogs

No I don't choose my battles, I have learned with my two, to be consistent at all times.  Once I 'allow' them to do something, you can be very sure they will be on the lookout for the next victim, so ..... no chewing on anything in the house at all.    

I have a few rules for the huskies and they are -

1. No climbing on the furniture

2. Nothing from inside the house goes outside and nothing from outside comes inside.

3. No chewing on my stuff - ever

4. No jumping up on us, or visitors - this is a hit and miss, depending on the visitor  :unsure: 

5. No digging in the garden - they have a huge sandpit to dig up - this works well except when they hear a creepy crawly in the grass  ;)

That is it, they obey the first three without question, the other two are works in progress :D   

If I call them to come inside, whatever they have in their mouth at the time will be dropped at the door before they come in, and picked up again on their way out - such a very good huskies  :wub:

They are opportunistic, but also extremely intelligent and will very quickly pick up on what is allowed and what is not, but if you are not consistent they will do exactly as they please, because you allowed it once.  They do know that there is a difference between one of their toys and your cellphone or favourite pair of shoes - but they need you to tell them - repeatedly if necessary.  

Edited by Rosemary

Mine aren't allowed to put their mouths around anything except toys and plastic bottles, if we catch them with something it's removed, otherwise they think they can chew anything they like!

When mine were younger and chewy they were crated when i couldnt watch them, now they are older and past the chewing stage they can have run of downstairs and wont chew, though Keyu will steal things but she just cuddles them!  :huh: her latest steal is my fluffy hat, but it's still in one piece!