Job Applications... Argghhh!

pacific4130

I recently left full-time employment (which I had been doing since school) to return to full-time study and go to med school. Obviously this is quite an expense so I've been looking for casual part-time work. Nothing special, just typical student type jobs. 

Having always had a job I had no idea how infuriating job applications are! It's just long lists of inane questions! I'm currently filling out an application for a pet store chain... One of the questions is: "If you were do describe yourself as a pet what would you be and why?". This is after lots of questions along the lines of: "Tell me a time when....", "What attracted you to this role..."

Arrghh. It's a minimum wage position. I'm applying to mop the floor and put things through the till - not be the flaming CEO of the company! 

I'm tempted to say I'd be a husky because I don't tolerate bulls**t and I just want to work!!! :D

Ha ha.. My son faces this on a daily basis. He has a degree that either prevents him from such jobs because he's over qualified or he hasn't enough experience in his field. Either way he's goosed at present

Btw, mopping floors may not be one of your duties, they may employ someone specifically for that with their questions being, do you sweep left or right first? :P

Good luck.  I think you will have a hard time getting a min wage job if they know you are going to med school. It just doesn't make sense to most places.  I hadn't worked for 15 years while raising my kids and could not even get a job at Target because.....well, I don't know why, but they hired my son on the spot and he was a high school student.

I hated when i had to do my job applications....

although they were for engineering jobs, they done my head in! I applied for over 200 jobs!

there was on average about 10 pages of questions and details i had to fill in, and then do an online test.... then the interview was another story!!!!! Grrrr

I recently left full-time employment (which I had been doing since school) to return to full-time study and go to med school. Obviously this is quite an expense so I've been looking for casual part-time work. Nothing special, just typical student type jobs. 

Having always had a job I had no idea how infuriating job applications are! It's just long lists of inane questions! I'm currently filling out an application for a pet store chain... One of the questions is: "If you were do describe yourself as a pet what would you be and why?". This is after lots of questions along the lines of: "Tell me a time when....", "What attracted you to this role..."

Arrghh. It's a minimum wage position. I'm applying to mop the floor and put things through the till - not be the flaming CEO of the company! 

I'm tempted to say I'd be a husky because I don't tolerate bulls**t and I just want to work!!! :D

ha ha ha I put a  dog because I was loyal, fun and hard working and willing to please!

And I know what company you mean. I didnt get the job :(

I did put husky in the end! Haha. I probably wont get the job but at least it feels like I'm moving toward getting a job. I think I'm going to have to just try the direct route - print out lots of simple CVs and take them into shops. I'm guessing that a lot of employers will hire part-time staff that way.