Your Opinion On Crating

Mobezilla

Our ten are all crate trained, but none of them are ever crated at home. Two sleep on our bed, three in the living room and the rest in the hallway and kitchen. Ours are primarily crate trained so they don't get distressed while travelling. In fact the opposite is the case, the moment they jump into their crates they go to sleep only waking up when we get to our destination.

Having said that we are very lucky in that ours have only ever caused very minimal damage at home and as a result have pretty much free access to the downstairs rooms.

frontroom1.jpg

Donuts.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 Adults, Sasha and Nina have the run of the house. They are so well behaved I would trust them anywhere. The pups are being crate trained and are doing really well. Keiko, Ithink would be ok out of his crate and possibly Eclipse but I am still having problems with Sapphire at the moment as she is still weeing in the crate at night. Not sure what to do with her at the moment to stop it. Any suggestions welcome. Skye is in a crate as well but I am almost rewady to trust her out as well. She had had no training whatsoever when I got her and in 7 months has completely turned round. So all 6 are crate trained, 2 have total trust, the last 4 to go onto "trust training".  We shall see during the next couple of weeks whether they stay out of crates or live in crates. I do know that at the moment they do love their crates. When I say bedtime they all go to their relevant crates, curl up, and go to sleep..........Result :goodjob:

Gary.

Forgot to say, Eika isn't crate trained as she hated it as a puppy and I couldn't deal with it, I just couldn't cope with her crying it made me so upset...plus she kept waking Josh up and it was a vicious circle of none of us getting any sleep. She has free roam of our bedroom, hallway and kitchen (we live in a bungalow) at night, then the hallway and kitchen when we're out. She hasn't really destroyed anything except the kitchen flooring in the old house. I mean if I leave something, I.e. a box of cereal on the side, when I come home it's no longer on the side but ALL over the place. However, that's my fault, so I can't tell her off for it.

I agree that it isn't your fault if you need to crate them.  I would NEVER leave Nikko outside of his crate while I am gone, NEVER!  He has chewed up many things, and if I leave him alone for like 5 minutes sometimes he will find something in his reach to chew or eat.  Then there are sometimes he is perfectly fine, it depends on his mood, but because it is unpredictable I would not take a chance.  I could see leaving Yukon outside his crate eventually as he hasn't chewed up or ruined anything. 

Basically, I would tell them that it's great that it works for you, but it doesn't work for my dog and/or situation.  Everyone's situation is different, and there are no right or wrong ways to raise you pup (except for neglect).  As long as they are healthy and happy that's all that matters.  I hate it when people try to tell you that the way your doing something is wrong.  It's one thing if you ask for advice.  Anyway, in regards to crating I think it is for THEIR safety and YOUR wallet!!

I feel terrible crating Chula during the day - but I know it's for her safety as much as it is for me wanting to protect my stuff. She will literally pick up anything she finds and chew on it. Pennies, pens, bottle caps - things that find their way under the couch without us even knowing it. She gets her face down there and paws stuff out. She tries to eat the paint off the molding, and that can't possibly be good for her. I once had a cat swallow a sewing needle that protruded from her trach but didn't break through. That was awful (and expensive to boot). So I'm afraid of something like that happening. The OH would love to not crate her at all. It kills him to have her in the crate because that's now they raise dogs where he's from. I could even deal with the occasional peeing or poop on the floor (no carpet!), but I'd die of panic attacks at the office wondering what she was eating while we are gone.

So I think we all need to do what is best for our pets. Seems some dogs are just born chewers and others aren't. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense that one owner has two or more dogs with very different habits!

Balto is crated while we are gone or at night. If not he will destroy everything and anything, plus we have a cat who gets roam of the house when we are gone or at night (she is baby gated in a room or stuck on top of the tv stand while Balto is out. Those two can't seem to get along, but Balto loves his crate!!!!! He goes in there in the morning when I leave without being told because he gets a peanut butter filled kong and he goes in there at night with no problem because we tire him out with play time. However, if he tired himself out such as puppy school, dog park, playing, etc then when he comes in he will go to his crate on his own and sleep. I think he has a set bedtime because everynight around 930 or 10 he is in there and tells us it is time for bed. So if crating works for you and it keeps you safe, your things safe, other pets safe, and them safe then I say crate away and don't let what others tell you change that. If she doesn't crate her dog that is great!!! That works for her, her things, her other animals, and her but that is NOT for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a two year old that was crated the first maybe five months, one night he was fast asleep, he looked so sleepy so I left him out and he has not been in since. He is fine in the house during the day. He gets a lot of exercise and attention, I'm sure that helps. We have a new puppy and I can only hope she is the same.

I've always crate trained at least in the beginning for all my dogs. My terrier became more trustworthy, and I don't even crate her anymore. In fact, I got rid of it. Its funny though, if I say "crate." She will run straight to the corner and turn a circle looking very confused. Looks up at me like "where did it go?!!"

Its been gone now 4 years and she still does it.