Breath Smelling Like Cheetos?

Elyse

Hey guys,

So Suka's breath smells like Cheetos. It's really weird, its never smelled like that before. It's like almost EXACTLY like the smell of Cheetos. His favourite toy that he's been playing with today also smells like cheetos, though its more concentrated so its kinda gross. :/

He's eating normally (hasn't eaten anything new), pooing normally (his poo is a tad soft)) and as far as I know he's drinking normally...if a bit more than usual.

Anybody know what's going on? I read on the internet it could be kidney failure!?!? :unsure:        :cry1:

He's been more playful and happy lately, but that may be unrelated.

EDIT: Oh, and he eats:

1.5 cups of Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream Formula). Had no problems until now.

He ate a raw egg yesterday (stole it off the counter)...would that be the cause?

is he peeing normal too, or is it less frequently? 

I found this on webMD:  Signs of uremia are apathy and depression, loss of appetite and weight, a
dry haircoat, a brownish discoloration to the surface of the tongue, and an
ammonialike odor to the breath. Dogs at this stage may urinate less than
normal

I would guess if his toy smells like cheetos that would make sense why his breath would smell like them.

I just notice their pads always smell like Nacho Cheese Doritos, unless they step in something :wacko:

is he peeing normal too, or is it less frequently? 

I found this on webMD:  Signs of uremia are apathy and depression, loss of appetite and weight, a

dry haircoat, a brownish discoloration to the surface of the tongue, and an

ammonialike odor to the breath. Dogs at this stage may urinate less than

normal

I would guess if his toy smells like cheetos that would make sense why his breath would smell like them.

I just notice their pads always smell like Nacho Cheese Doritos, unless they step in something :wacko:

I'm not sure about his pee - Mom's been home until now and she doesn't pay attention to stuff like that. But for the 4 days I've been home, he might be peeing a LITTLE less than usual - isn't marking things like he usually does.

The last time I smelled his toy a few months ago (don't ask...:P), it didn't smell like that.

He doesn't have any of those symptoms...he seems to be more happy/playful and his appetite is the same as usual (high - he's very food driven)

Yeah from my Googling lots of people say their paws smell like cheetos or popcorn because that's where dog sweat glands are? And that's Doggie BO? Who knows. I'm going to smell Chula's feet when I get home. Though they probably smell like poop since she's not so careful about where she pounces.  :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I can't smell his paws (Mom just took him to PetSmart to get a bath), but I just thought of something...

What's in Cheetos that make them smell like dog paws!? LOL

Do you guys think I should call the vet just in case?

UPDATE:

So I just finished washing Suka's toy (liquid laundry detergent). It was gross - brown liquid came off of it...so I guess it wasn't washed in awhile. :oops But now it smells clean!

My plan, is to let Suka play with that toy for a few days. If the smell comes back on the toy, and his breath still smells like Cheetos, then I know I have a problem and its not just bacteria buildup. Good idea?

Brush Suka's teeth and give him some doggy mouth wash...check in a week.  Doesn't sound dangerous...but i do have to ask why you were smelling his breath?  Our guys always smell like whatever they ate last (when they give kisses!).

He doesn't like getting his teeth brushed but...I'll try! Thanks!

Haha - he was giving me some doggy kisses and he was breathing into my face. :P

Yeah I think it was the toy!  If it still smells then I might call the vet just in case if your worried about it. 

Your not missing any cheetos are you????  Nikko would steal em right out of my hand!

No; we haven't bought cheetos in AGES.

He doesn't like getting his teeth brushed but...I'll try! Thanks!

Haha - he was giving me some doggy kisses and he was breathing into my face. :P

You might be surprised.  It may take some time and practice.  My 3 line up when i take out the toothpaste to brush my teeth and they all want a taste as they love peppermint.  There are some treats that you can get also that are mint flavored for "teeth brushing" that are more than just milkbones.  I haven't tried to actually brush them, but they make finger cover brushes that you can use, so it's just like putting your finger in their mouths.  I think with peppermint paste mine would go for it.  Will let you know if i ever get around to it!

GOOD NEWS:

Suka's breath smelled like regular dog breath this morning. I guess the cheetos smell on his toy was making his breath smell.

I'll still be keeping a close eye on him, as he still might have an infection (he's drinking more than he's peeing), though.

And Suka won't let me brush his teeth for 2 reasons (have tried the finger brush and the dog brush):

- He doesn't like people/things poking around in his mouth. Have tried to get him to get used to it, but he got all growly so I stopped.

- He licks the toothpaste (beef flavored) off of the brush before I have a chance to brush his teeth.

Good to hear!  Yeah, mine mostly like it because they want to lick the toothpaste off!  They are fine with my hands in their mouths as I am frequently having to pull stuff out of their mouths that shouldn't be in there.

I have chicken flavored toothpaste for them.  It smells so nasty it makes me want to puke!  It's by arm and hammer.  I had nylabone paste before and it didn't smell too bad.  I do need to get something for them though, they have funky breath!  But mine had cheeto breath too yesterday because I caved and gave them a few when I was eating half the bag.

I give in all the time LOL.  Honestly they will eat anything I give them!  It is so funny watching him beg!  All he will do is lay his head on your lap and give you his puppy dog eyes! 

Sometimes Luka whines and then i don't give him any but if he sits really still and looks at me with those big eyes i give him a treat ;)