Heartworm Prevention Shot

LittleLuka

Does anyone know anything about this? I tried to research online but i only came up with really old information, not anything about the shot vets offer now.

My vet offers it, doesn't really recommend it but does have it. Just curious to see if anyone knows anything about. Basically, it's supposed to be heartworm prevention for 6 months in one shot.

i tried to sort this last summer, got vet to add it when jabs were done and it was omg expensive when i got both fluffys done at same time but found out you can get it from pets at home it comes as a paste and works out alot cheaper i cant remember name but if i find paperwork i saved i will message you back

I would love that!  I wonder if it is cheaper than the pills?  Mine cost 5/6 each so it can get pricey!  I spend about 70 bucks a year for both of them just for heartworm

well we decided to try it out. it was 50 or 60 bucks i think? We were paying 10-11 each for heartworm prevention pills so it didn't really save us money but it seemed way more convenient. I just don't know if it's the best thing to have your dog on so i thought i'd ask before i decide to continue it when it's up.

hi sorry did not see your in usa but i just rang shop to get name and thay said thay have stopped selling it , it used to come as a paste to treat all worms but the one thay sell now dose not cover heart worm sorry i tried  good luck

no problem :) interesting. i didn't even know they made anything but the pill and the topical solution (like revolution) until recently

10-11 for each pill?  Wow that is expensive! 

We use Iverheart Plus.  For Nikko its $36 for a 6 month supply and for Yukon its $30 for a 6 month supply.  If you buy them individually they charge like a dollar more per pill.

10-11 for each pill?  Wow that is expensive! 

We use Iverheart Plus.  For Nikko its $36 for a 6 month supply and for Yukon its $30 for a 6 month supply.  If you buy them individually they charge like a dollar more per pill.

thats what i had Luka on! are you ordering them somewhere else or getting them from your vets office? my vet is very reasonable with pricing for their services but i'm pretty sure i paid 11 dollars for one pill in December. Not to mention the 22 dollars for Knox's revolution (heartworm,flea,tick all in one)!!!!!!! I won't be using it anymore lol.

The shot wasn't cheap but for me to not have to remember to give him a pill every month I was down lol ... call me lazy ;)

I have a reminder set up on my phone to give it to them every month, and they both get it at the same time.  I order it right from the vet.  I had tried dr. fosters & smith online but my vet will not write prescriptions to online retailers for some reason, but I know they do offer the heartworm for about the same price.

I use K9 Advantixx II for flea/tick prevention and I get it on Amazon.com for about $60-$65 for a 6 month supply.  They charge over $100 at PetSmart for that stuff!

A few years ago, I had read something about the heartworm preventive shots.  Subsequently, I discussed with one of our dogs' vets.  She was not too enthusiastic about the shot.  Maybe they were just becoming available at that time.  Can't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with the curve of effectiveness peaking too early and dropping off too quickly to be 100% sure, for her to recommend.  It also had something to do with the inability for clients to get their dog into the clinic for the shot on time with minimal overlap, whatever that meant.

A few years ago, I had read something about the heartworm preventive shots.  Subsequently, I discussed with one of our dogs' vets.  She was not too enthusiastic about the shot.  Maybe they were just becoming available at that time.  Can't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with the curve of effectiveness peaking too early and dropping off too quickly to be 100% sure, for her to recommend.  It also had something to do with the inability for clients to get their dog into the clinic for the shot on time with minimal overlap, whatever that meant.

well i know they took it off the market... i think it actually lasted a year back then... they just brought it back a couple of years ago and now it lasts 6 months from what i've read. haven't seen much about it not lasting long enough, have seen where before they thought it was poisoning dogs. now they recommend your dog be tested for heartworms before the shot is administered and not to be given with any other shots

Let us know if Luka has any adverse effects - haven't heart about it before. We pay about $60 for a 7 month (I think?) supply (May-November). HeartGard. Or HartGuard. One of the two spellings. :P

For fleas/ticks, he's on K9 Advantix...I forget how much we pay for that one but I'm thinking its around $40 for a 6 month supply...but I buy a year's worth especially because we've been having mild winters lately.

Let us know if Luka has any adverse effects - haven't heart about it before. We pay about $60 for a 7 month (I think?) supply (May-November). HeartGard. Or HartGuard. One of the two spellings. :P

For fleas/ticks, he's on K9 Advantix...I forget how much we pay for that one but I'm thinking its around $40 for a 6 month supply...but I buy a year's worth especially because we've been having mild winters lately.

i gave it to him at the beginning of january and he hasn't had any reactions yet. Luka is on K9 Advantix as well... its warm one day and then cold the next during winter so can't risk him being off of it

I actually thought about taking mine off the Advantix during the winter, and did not treat them last month, but for this month I went ahead and treated Nikko with it, but not Yukon.  Nikko has more exposure than Yukon because he goes more places with us.  This winter has been pretty mild, but still averages below freezing.  We have a few days that are flukes and above 50, like Monday, but then Tuesday it was a high of 15!

I actually thought about taking mine off the Advantix during the winter, and did not treat them last month, but for this month I went ahead and treated Nikko with it, but not Yukon.  Nikko has more exposure than Yukon because he goes more places with us.  This winter has been pretty mild, but still averages below freezing.  We have a few days that are flukes and above 50, like Monday, but then Tuesday it was a high of 15!

its like 65 one day and 28 the next... :wacko:

Let us know how it goes, I have heard terrible things about the shot, a lot of dogs getting sick and dying. Our vet advertises it, but said the oral preventative was much safer.

good to know! He's done okay on it! but i just don't know if i will continue him on it after the 6 months are up! i think i'd feel more comfortable with something that i know is safe