Please Tell Me It Gets Easier! Lol

markquinton

My mally pup (12 weeks) is having one of her bad evenings. Since coming home from work I've.

- Told her to get off the sofa around 8 times after she's jumped up looking at me with a guilty look!

- Shouted at her for trying to pull up the lino floor in the conservatory

- Told her off for trying to bite me while doing the zoomies twice

- Endless attempts at trying to get her to stop leaning up on the work surface in the kitchen

- Had to walk away on a few occasions as she wants to play rough with me (nipping etc)

etc etc

Is this normal??? It's taken me over an hour to write a simple email just because I can't sit down for any more than 3-4 mintues without having to tell her off or put her in time out?

Please tell me it get's easier as they grow up lol Some days she seems quite well behaved and then on others she proves me wrong. I know she's a pup and needs to learn between right and wrong and hopefully over time she will.

Seriously though, I did plenty of research and love her loads but I hope people can understand me when I say I love her but sometimes she drives me insane

Anyway rant over lol

Mark.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young pups are bit too young for "time out" I think--better imagine you have a baby:) If you cannot watch what it is doing-better to put her in the crate with her fav toy or a kong. Young pups do not understand much yet-better respond to simple treats for good behaviour, ignoring bad. I am going through the same stage now-lots of patience is a wish:)

mine are boys 5 and 5 girl 6 years old lol they still drive me mad at times and still have their mad times rooming around. she so young yet it does get easier yes. but seems she's after attention and good or bad will do as it's all attention.

she needs to release her energy chase her round the garden, play ball or even teach her new tricks, don't tell her off as much as thats still attention lol not easy is it ????

has she got a kong you can fill with goodies ? keep her occupied whilst you do things, give her a plastic bottle with treats in, i'm guessing she's not had all her injections yet so play is the only way to get rid of all that energy lol

With regards to time out, it's not that I can't watch her but more like the fact it's difficult to get her to understand she's done something wrong, the word 'No' hasn't quite sunk in yet. I can't see how I can ignore nipping at my 5 year old son for instance so I put her in time out. I guess I'm learning on the job to a degree.

Time out works for my puppy and she's 14 weeks. I've been using it for two weeks or so now. It doesn't work long term yet (as in she still will nip a few hours later!), but it does calm her down if she's on a nonstop nipping rampage. I have seen it said that using time out too frequently will make it not as effective. But I understand your frustrations!

She has had her injections and I'm taking her for at least 2 walks a day for around 20mins. Sometimes she is an absolute pleasure and I can see a glimmer of what I hope she will be when she gets older.

I am finding though if we play chase in the garden or football etc then she can get over excited and start nipping and growling at us, i'm sure it's just her loosing control a little due to her age. I really do have to get out of the way when she has the zoomies as she will nip the back of our legs and jump up at us like a dog possessed!!

Just in the last few minutes she's decided to crash out on the floor and peace at last.

I really do love her though, just hoping that she calms down so we can enjoy her company even more.

Thanks

Mark

when Odin was a pup and nipping he got a firm no, if he carried on i used to put my flat hand in his mouth as they can't bit then, he didn't like this lol but then i'd give him some thing he could bite like a rope toy. if he continued yep he got time out or just got ignored. she will learn but it does take time xxxx

:D so been there my first for the first year if his eyes were open he was doin somthin he should not and i am not joking but dont know  what happend it was like someone pressed a switch i thought he was ill :rofl: he just changed overnight even family said had i druged him he was so calm and settled and stopped chewin realy overnight not over weeks he has been chilled out for 4 years now  i hope he is not just plotting against me :rofl: he still gets excited when he meets new people and is going out  so breath in go to your happy place and it will all be over soon :D

I have two young kids as well. Somehow they managed to make their way. My two year old screamed hard each time Lunar tried to nip him, she stopped after two or three times. Of course they need to learn what is not acceptable, it is just my way to approve good behaviours and ignore bad. So far it worked, I have a very well behaved 3 year old german Wirehaired Pointer. People keep asking me "how did you do that"-so this is my answer. Perhaps other dogs are different, this is just my personal advice:)

when Odin was a pup and nipping he got a firm no, if he carried on i used to put my flat hand in his mouth as they can't bit then, he didn't like this lol but then i'd give him some thing he could bite like a rope toy. if he continued yep he got time out or just got ignored. she will learn but it does take time xxxx

I have tried this method - it just gets her worked up more! I think my dog has learning disabilities. I feel like I've tried all the stop nipping methods that exist short of having her teeth removed.

I've also read that if your puppy is nipping, you shouldn't play chase or tug of war at any time until she learns not to nip. I remember the first week I got Chula I chased her around the yard to tire her out. It was super cute when she got in her little kitty stance and wiggled and growled. But...not so cute now! We stopped chase games almost 3 weeks ago. 

Deifen is a nipper as well and we have been working on this for a few weeks now and have noticed it's getting better.  He tends to do it when he has a case of the zoomies of when he's overtired and mainly does it to me biting my hands and arms.  He's very well behaved when I'm working although he will often scream if I leave the room  except at bed time when he doesn't make a sound until he needs to potty.  It does get better over time as I have a 7 year old female who I had the same issues with and she's very well behaved now.

My beau is 7 months, we had similar issues so we don't play tugg games or chase. I always end up with the toy. Now this is going to sound so cruel and I want to reassure everyone who reads this that no one was hurt . (I read this and did it). Beau was getting very mouthy and time out did not work and I was worried she would do it to my children. When she nipped me I put her to the ground and layer on her , holding her mouth closed firmly m I looked into her eyes and firmly said no. I released her mouth but kept her on the ground till she did not struggle then I let her up. The secand time I just had to ground her and say no. I have had no nipping at all now. Water spray turn beau fruit loopy .

In our family we don't believe in physical punishment, but we follow the pack rules. I'm the chief and beau is bottom. She eats last and is not aloud on sofas or beds.

It sounds like I'm a cruel mummy for the above but I have a very happy , friendly and loving husky who 9 times out of 10 listens to me.

I'm sure when she hits adolescent ill have more issues.

Good luck keep strong

I think where a lot of puppy owners get stuck is that we as humans find it more natural to punish rather than reward Behaviour we want to see.

Puppies need to be taught what Behaviour is appropriate, it is up to us to show them and help them develop the right habits. If you are constantly telling your puppy no you aren't managing them properly. You are giving them too much freedom to experiment with Behaviour and form habits you don't like.

Containment is a really good place to start. Unless I am directly interacting with my puppies they are in a puppy pen in the house or a crate or outside. That doesn't mean you are sitting on the computer or watching TV and are watching them out of the corner of your eye, it means you are giving them your full attention.

How are you rewarding the right Behaviour? Dogs form habits by experimenting with Behaviour and gaining success from it. That means you need to help your puppy form good habits by rewarding good Behaviour rather than waiting until it experiments and Gains success with Behaviour you don't like and punishing it

Redirecting your puppy to a toy and teaching what they can bite also helps with nipping issues. If you have a puppy that is prey driven yelping when they bite you will ramp them up more. Growling in play (ie playing tug) isn't a bad thing depending on the circumstances.

I too have been very lucky with my 2 they are so quiet and very well behaved. I think I have normal dogs disguized as huskies!! lol . I did take mine to puppy training classes and the classes after those . Maybe they helped ? as we stuck to what we had been taught as well as good advice from other owners. Cant believe Saskia will be nine this year !! and Wolf 7. Where did the years go , I love them to bits , and yes it does get easier its very very early days yet but the reward is well worth it. 

We are not sure how old solo is but behavior wise about 6months behind Charlie who is 2 1/2 they do get better as they do get better saying that hubby has just bought in half eaten lettuce to show me lol they will learn the boundaries and it is getting calmer here though the zooming around is funny, enjoy your pup :)

im in the exact  place you are. its tough but also the most rewarding. just keep up with the "no" and effort it will definitely pay off. mila is finally getting everything but potty training haha. if you are trying to do something important or even write an email you should try to put him in a kennel or a designated area where he has a bunch of toys to play with. also you should try to make sure his toys are all sorts of materail (hard and soft) which will help with nawing. hang in there it will work itself out