When To Spay -

Chula

I've read some things that say to wait until they've had their first heat, but that seems contrary to everything else I've read that says do it before the first heat.

Chula is 3 months (today!) I'm trying to schedule some time off so that I can be with her for a couple days afterwards so she doesn't rip herself open. She turns 6 months on May 22nd - so would late April/Early May make sense? 

4 months old is the soonest I it done.  You are correct in the counrtdictions in waiting until the first heat.  It is a myth as well as letting have the first litter before spaying.  It is more of a personal choice.  Personally I do it sooner,  Rori was spayed at 4 months and she is perfectly fine.  It also depends on the vet you choose.  Some if contracted through shelters or animal control will do it sooner.  I go with 4 months though.  All of their parts are developed at birth.

I only have males, but I agree that 4 months should be the earliest.  I think the consensus is about 6 months is the best time to have it done.  It does depend on the vet though, because before I decided on a vet some of them would not neuter/spay until they were 10-12 months old.  I had theirs done on a Friday and I took Monday off and they were both completely fine after 2 days.  But spay is more invasive.  

Opinions about when to spay differ a lot depending on country. US seems to favour spaying before the first heat while the UK (or Europe?) seems to favour after the first heat (to let them mature a bit first). Can't help you with that as Glala was done when she came her and Dana only just got done couple of months ago.

I got Skye spayed 3months after her first season. My choice (before i spoke to vet) and also the vet we use said they wouldnt do it til 3months after the first season when i asked them. However i was told by someone at work if we had taken her to the other vets near me they would have spayed her before she had her season. I think its down to whether the vets are new or older (as in how long they have been vets) Newer vets seem to like the idea to get them done early whereas vets who have been around a few years  think its best to wait. I would also say its down to the owner to decide. 

I actually just read the first one of these links and was about to go look for it and here it is...that works! :)

4 months old is the soonest I it done.  You are correct in the counrtdictions in waiting until the first heat. first litter It is a myth as well as letting have the first litter  before spaying.  It is more of a personal choice.  Personally I do it sooner,  Rori was spayed at 4 months and she is perfectly fine.  It also depends on the vet you choose.  Some if contracted through shelters or animal control will do it sooner.  I go with 4 months though.  All of their parts are developed at birth.

This is where I went wrong. I was told to get them a litter as soon as possible then have them speyed as it helped deter the advances of cervical cancer in the breed............BU****IT.

Gary

While I have no advice to give, I'm interested in the responses that you've gotten so far.

In the (hopefully not that far) future, I plan to get a female puppy. To be honest, I do not want to deal with her 2 heats a year, which is the main reason why I'd want her spayed (besides the obvious: don't want puppies!).

I heard different methods of spaying (like just removing the ovaries or tying the tubes) are 'better' than an actual spay where they take everything out...but still results in heats which is what I don't want!

Different vets say different things, there is alot of information out there on the web and everyone has there own opinions, the best thing to do is take in all the information you can and spay when you think is right  :D .

With my girls i have had them spayed before there first seasons (6 months and 9 months) and they have both been fine. Good luck  :pawprint: