Anyone With Experience Of Zrd?

mikeeholder

yes been back to vet they wanted to start a load of tests said it could be some kind of mite deeper in the skin we did mention about ZRD

but they just said dont think it will be that

why do vets always disregard ZRD ???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly what our vet said - that it was a very rare condition so they doubted it could be that! I convinced them to let me try and treat my way for ZRD and I will follow up with them bi-weekly. We were told - mange, mites, ringworm... and each diagnosis requires a different test - all scrapings or biopsies, I'd rather spare her that! Nayeli's now on 60mg of zinc supplement daily, and i've started to giving it to her between feedings so it's not absorbed by the food. I'm changing her food this week too, to something offering a higher mineral content, not as concerned as I was about a high zinc content because of the supplements she's having. As you mentioned also, I don't want to give her zinc toxicity as it has exactly the same symptoms as the deficiency! Our vet very kindly spoke to a dermatologist on our behalf - she recommended what she uses for the condition often - zinc in the form of treats - It's 'Zinc Methionine', you can get it from www.vedco.com or www.nutrivet.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, started on the csj hike on food and giving nutrazinc and have cut out everything in bandits diet which he could be allergic to. Its just started to clear up, no more new scabs or red areas and the old ones have dried up, gone black and the hair has grown back. His large area on his head did get infected so he is on 150mg baytril antibiotics which are setting me back about £60 for 2 weeks of tablets. Hes on his 4th week of them and its nearly all gone, hope he wont need another 2 weeks worth!! Hes also just stopped blowing his coat, might be a coincidence but it could have made it worse. Anyway fingers crossed it doesn't come back. Thanks to everyone for any advice given, it is greatly appreciated. just a few pics from one of the snow days to say thanks!! :D

post-9257-0-65115200-1364233613.jpgpost-9257-0-32529600-1364233619.jpgpost-9257-0-75476500-1364233749.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well I thought all was giong well with this skin problem but the last week or so the scratching has started again. Hes been on the CSJ Hike on! food and nutrazinc suppliments and nothing else except boiled chicken for treats, this seemed to be fine and nothing has changed untill this Happened:post-9257-0-27496600-1370597068_thumb.jp Im starting to think it may not be allergy or ZRD related at all as he only scratches when excited, left alone, when I see him in the morning or before a walk. It would seem when his heart rate is elivated he becomes itchy then when he chills out he is fine. He will go a whole day without scratching, then trash his face overnight. It also appears symetrically e.g. if he scratches his top left eye the next spot will be the top right eye etc. Could it be anxiety related, he exibits no other signs of an anxiety he is a very confident dog. Someone did suggest it could be airborn allergy due to the fact that it only affects his face and ears. But surly this would mean he would be scratching all the time.

Anyway the food he is on has made his coat a little dull and wire like and hes not that keen on it anymore, so if its not food related then i might change it to something better. At a bit of a loss now, i'll have to "cone of shame" him at night for the time being but dont really know where to start. Back to square one!!post-9257-0-46956800-1370597698_thumb.jppost-9257-0-36425100-1370597710_thumb.jp

Aw Mike, I'm sorry to hear it's still on going. It's uncomfortable for the dog and miserable for you to see it. Can you feed cubes of raw liver and kidney that are naturally high in zinc? We were recommended one 1" cube a day or every other day as too much zinc is as bad as too little. Myshka won't eat totally raw, I blanch it for a minute then she'll take it but I found that boosted her.

Vets back when Mysh started with it didn't have a clue, there were few pet huskies around. Even the canine dermatologist could tell me what it wasn't but not what it was :huh: but with my own research and asking questions, I got the answers on how to help her.

I hope you see positive signs of recovery soon xx

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

we had something similar with Storm and after about £100 per month for 3 months for tests antibiotics and steroids I opted to change her back to her old food ( I had changed to a cereal free one thinking it would be better) Anyway a month later and it all almost all gone and she is back on Wainwrights turkey and rice and I don't plan to change it anytime soon. We were trying this after they ruled out mites and fungal infection and before we went down the route of allergy testing.

my vet had a similar method of eleminating what it was not with expensive skin scrapes and biopsies, however they did get to a point where they told me that it could go on indeffinatly and we called it quits since it was not bothering him too much (after the infection had cleared up and after £250 worth of antibiotics!!). it seemed to respond to the supliments however I am now convinced it is anxiety related now. I've actually stopped his zinc sups now and it looks a lot better. Just dont want to leave him on his own as I found him with his face covered in blood the other morning from scratching, but i never catch him during the day.

I have tried the raw liver but he'd rather wear it as after shave!! Just rubs his face on it!!

My vet thinks my boy has hay fever....or ZRD

He currently has NO treats other than fish4dogs cubes and ties. and he eats Burns fish.

Parker gets it around his mouth, although not too bad at the moment, it started about 3 weeks ago.