How Private Are You Over The Internet?

Smokey

How private are you over the internet, especially on this forum? Do you discuss
topics unrelated to dogs and GSDs? Family issues? Personal problems? What about
privacy on other sites like Facebook or other forums you are on?

I'm very
open; a little too much and sometimes it makes me uncofortable to say the least
but I post away anyways because oxymoronically it's also theraputic. I'm
actually more open on this forum than anywhere else because I'm pretty sure no
one I 'know' lurks around GSD or Husky forums.

Yeah I would say that I am quite open on the internet. Would depend however what what it was about. Just for example I would have no problem with posting up about going for a meal, however would not even dream of posting up about having an arguement with a member of my family which is something I know a lot do. Thats where I draw the line on it because thats personal and should not be in public domain and IMO makes people look stupid

I'd say I'm pretty private when it comes to personal life, as most really aren't interested in it...though there may be times it's appropriate, such as if I'm asking about a dog related question that goes with the personal problem, etc. As a rule though, I don't usually volunteer a lot openly. I may make a friend who I become closer with and share more with them in a more private setting, such as emails or a chat messenger. It just depends if I feel a connection, however I will say those I have confided in have remained long term friends. :)

I have been made to feel so at ease on this forum that I have surprised myself in what I've opened up to. I would never be as open on f/b as I am on here. There are times when I feel as though I may be overstepping the mark but I'm sure someone will soon give me a nudge if I did. There is, as in most things, a line not to be crossed and Marc pulled up a good point about things such as family arguments. :angry2:

Gary

With me it's a mixed bag.  When it comes to my personal life - and I *do* have one, sorta - I don't bring that on line.  I may make a reference in passing, but generally not ( like when I went to bring my mother down here ... )

Where I live, things I do, things I like / dislike are generally open for discussion. 

I do not have a FB account, in the first place there are way too many people who seem to think that everyone is interested in the last time they emptied their car ashtray ( ditto chatter on twitter ... ).  What makes it worse, from my point of view, is that they also want to know when the last time I emptied mine was and how I disposed of whatever was in it.  To me FB is way too intrusive.

If someone here were to ask me a personal question, they'd probably get an answer; if I felt it was too personal, I'd probably reply in a PM.

Generally, I have generally no problems talking about my own personal life if people would ask about it. I draw the line when it starts including others (without them knowing it).

I'll be honest and say I have some throwaway accounts on other places that I have deliberately disconnected from my own personal life but have not actually used it to say anything that I would not otherwise say to friends.

Mmm

i'm fairly open i think,but only discuss personal issues with those that i know i can definitely trust without a doubt

F/B is great in a lot of ways,but wayyyyy too scary in many others.

The 'old me' on here was fairly open and always honest and hopefully once i find my feet again i'll slot back in  :D

Like Al, I'm a mixed bag. It depends on the place online (This is one of the places I'm more comfortable!).

There are some personal things I'll talk about - but most of the time only to people I trust.

I have no problems talking about my likes, dislikes, hobbies, etc.

But there are places where I draw the line: For example, I don't talk about my family or friends on here unless it is related to a problem I have. I never divulge any information about them.

I'll answer pretty much anything anyone asks. I'm pretty open. I won't volunteer a lot of FB about personal issues.

I did recently change my FB settings to private. It was all open, and I had my street addres, phone number on there and employer (I work retail, so anyone can come by).

I was selling some stuff online. Some jerk made me a terrible offer and I simply replied "no thanks". To which he sent back "have fun sitting on it!" Then, I gave a sarcastic reply, and told him to "go lowball someone else". He sent me a long rant, then a couple mins later sent me another reply about what he thought I looked like (not polite, i assure you) and them told me my gf (named her) is great at certain sexual acts. Of course his email didn't even have his real name, so I couldn't get any info on him. I just dropped it at that point, but all ,y info is now set to private on there.

I post on Forums and Facebook. I post with the knowledge than what I post is public, and will never go away. So I don't post things that would put me in a bad light.

Exactly my stance. I only post what I don't care people know. My FB is mainly about me & my dogs/thoughts on animal abusers etc.

Some of the crap people FB is ridiculous, I don't wanna know what they've had for tea etc lol