Harness Trouble

MollynDiesel

So here is my issue. I LOVE Diesel wearing harnesses and he loves walking and running. But for some reason he will run and hide (or lay flat on the floor so i cant get it around him) if i get any harness out! Non pulling ones, xbacks, shoulder harnesses. Its insane! I have to grab him and drag him up just so i can get it over his head! Then once its on he has to run around rubbing against walls, floors, cutting corners to catch himself just to get it off!

Treats used to work but i don't like that idea now because i don't want him to think he will only do stuff if i have treats (he isn't stupid) and he doesn't even bother coming for treats now if i have a harness out. Its not fear of harnesses, just hatred i think.

I have also tried just leaving it on the floor for him to get used to being around, then picking it up and waiting for AGES for him to check it out, then popping it over his head and taking it off, then leaving it on a bit longer. (Tried this gradually every day for over a month!) Doesn't work, he still hates it!

But i really want to get him to like them! So does anyone have any ideas that don't involve treats? :)

lol Odin's 5 next month, he's always wore a harness and is fine in it BUT when he see's it he's off i have to catch him and pin him to get it on. Now i'm guessing we have done this, we've let them turn it into a game xxxx

I think you could be right there Linda. I'm sure I've seen Kodi laughing at me as I tear after him :rofl:

We have one who loves the harness and immediately comes to have it put on and one who runs and hides, though she doesn't put up that much resistance. But then he knows how long the extending lead is and slows/stops before he reaches the end and she throws herself at the end, so it could be an under-the-front-legs discomfort thing and she remembers (but still throws herself at the end - go figure!)

kaiser is total opposite, he sees the harness and goes nuts, runs up to the door and sits there waitng or it to be on, but i did have that problem when i used to bring him for runs with the bike, when he saw the bike he would run up the stairs and not come down, but eventually he just got over it when i left the bike in the house for him to be around, but you have tried that so i dunno really :(

kaiser is total opposite, he sees the harness and goes nuts, runs up to the door and sits there waitng or it to be on, but i did have that problem when i used to bring him for runs with the bike, when he saw the bike he would run up the stairs and not come down, but eventually he just got over it when i left the bike in the house for him to be around, but you have tried that so i dunno really :(

As much as i could yh, trouble is i can't leave it around alot because he'll eat it! lol

Shadow is the same he runs away as soon as i pick a lead or a harness up! I have made a new routine now where i attatch leads to my belt walk to the back gate after locking the back door etc skye will always follow me as she pretty much jumps into her harness or lead... Shadow sometimes still runs but i just stand there he knows he wont go for a walk if he doesn't come and let me put it on! He freezes on the spot as soon as i catch him to put it on if i do it indoors lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Harley is going through this at the minute when he was younger no problems with putting his harness on but now ,whenever I pick his harness up he legs it and end up chasing him all over the house which the girl friend finds amusing while whistling the tune from benny hill lol in the end I have to close the baby gates and corner him which he then allows me to put his harness on ,but as soon as the harness on he itching to go on his walk so like most people on here I agree I think they think we playing a game