My Experience At The Dog Park Today

LittleLuka

Well first off I would like to say that Luka behaved wonderful today, didn't bother any small dogs so I'm one proud mom! It might've helped that there were 10 huskies there today! (Including 2 puppies: one red and one grey) he rough housed with a red female and a black male! :)

Well now on to the weird part... There was a guy there around my age(in his 20s) and he had a solid white male husky. He was talking to me and started asking questions about Luka. A lot of people ask what breed he is Etc. but his questions were kinda weird. He asked if Luka was purebred and I said yes. Then he was like are you sure? Do you have papers? And I was like yes I got him from a breeder I know his lineage, I met his parents, etc. he was like are you sure he's not a wolf hybrid? (I get asked if he is a lot but I had just told him he was a husky?) I told him no.

Then he was like do you think mines purebred? And I was like he looks like it to me, did you rescue him? And he said he found him on the streets at 3 months and has had him ever since. So we talked about how and why I think his is purebred and then we separated because I was watching Luka.

Well later I bumped into him again and he asked me if I wanted another one eventually. To me that's not an uncommon question because we all know they're addictive. Lol I told him yes I do. He said do you want a white one? I said that it didn't really matter because I wanted to rescue my next one so it pretty much was whatever the rescue gave me and who fit into my pack, etc.

He then said well do you want mine? I laughed because I thought he was joking until he said yeah I'm moving so I'm looking into getting rid of him. I said we'll don't you think that'd be hard? He was like I don't really think so a lot of people like huskies. He was like what do you think? I said I don't know as I was really uncomfortable at this point but I told him to speak to our local husky rescue.

I feel awful for the dog but honestly the owner totally creeped me out!! I probably should have done more but really I just wanted to get Luka away from him. I think it's crazy how he asked a completely random person if they wanted his dog. I mean I know I'm a good owner but he doesn't know that! Was it wrong to just walk away? I don't know the dogs behavior or if he has health issues or anything. I was kinda expecting him to be like do you wanna trade after all his weird questions about Luka!

That conversation actually sounded okay up until the 'do you want my dog' part. I would be weirded out by that too!

Though I was guessing he asked you all those questions to begin with to judge to see if you might be a good owner? Not to say what he did was right or sensible, but people are stupid, or maybe he just didn't know what else to do. Maybe it was his first dog and he didn't know there were special husky rescues, or he was scared to take his dog to an actual shelter because of the high kill rates? (Or so I've heard)

That conversation actually sounded okay up until the 'do you want my dog' part. I would be weirded out by that too!

Though I was guessing he asked you all those questions to begin with to judge to see if you might be a good owner? Not to say what he did was right or sensible, but people are stupid, or maybe he just didn't know what else to do. Maybe it was his first dog and he didn't know there were special husky rescues, or he was scared to take his dog to an actual shelter because of the high kill rates? (Or so I've heard)

Why would It matter if my dog was a purebred though? How does luka having papers mean im a good owner? A better question would be like do you bring your dog here often? Or asking me any questions regarding the breed. We do have high kill rates at shelters. Its depressing :( I'm not judging him for wanting to get his dog a new home I'm saying its odd to go to a completely random person and just ask them if they want your dog.

If someone started asking me a bunch of questions like that and I didn't know them I'd think it was very odd. It's one thing if people ask questions like what breed or how old they are but a total stranger asking if you'd take his dog? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would It matter if my dog was a purebred though? How does luka having papers mean im a good owner? A better question would be like do you bring your dog here often? Or asking me any questions regarding the breed. We do have high kill rates at shelters. Its depressing :( I'm not judging him for wanting to get his dog a new home I'm saying its odd to go to a completely random person and just ask them if they want your dog.

No idea - like I said, maybe he was ignorant and didn't know how else to go about it. :(

If someone started asking me a bunch of questions like that and I didn't know them I'd think it was very odd. It's one thing if people ask questions like what breed or how old they are but a total stranger asking if you'd take his dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah if he had just even asked me if Luka was purebred and left it at that I would've not thought twice. But to say are you sure? Do you have papers? Are you sure he's not a hybrid? I was like uhhh....

If I had to rehome Luka I just think I would've gone about it in a different way.

I have had a people offer me their dog after talking quite awhile. What is happening, at least to me, is they are liking what they are seeing...they've all ready been considering rehoming their pet and see a opportunity  The part about asking a lot of questions about your female would of been the bit that weirded me out...but as for the rest, am sorry to say it has happened before. I don't put a lot of thought into it because I honestly feel they've all ready decided before that they want to rehome the dog and just see a person they get a good vibe off. Now we both know  that may be a misread vibe, but a lot of people aren't nearly as responsible as those here. That's just a unfortunate fact, when someone decides they don't want their dog...they'll give it to just about anyone.

In this case, I think the guy just liked you had huskies and probably thought you'd make a good home. He's probably telling you a lot don't like huskies because he's probably tried to give the dog away before and not been successful. 

I have had a people offer me their dog after talking quite awhile. What is happening, at least to me, is they are liking what they are seeing...they've all ready been considering rehoming their pet and see a opportunity The part about asking a lot of questions about your female would of been the bit that weirded me out...but as for the rest, am sorry to say it has happened before. I don't put a lot of thought into it because I honestly feel they've all ready decided before that they want to rehome the dog and just see a person they get a good vibe off. Now we both know that may be a misread vibe, but a lot of people aren't nearly as responsible as those here. That's just a unfortunate fact, when someone decides they don't want their dog...they'll give it to just about anyone.

In this case, I think the guy just liked you had huskies and probably thought you'd make a good home. He's probably telling you a lot don't like huskies because he's probably tried to give the dog away before and not been successful.

Well that's the thing we didn't talk awhile.. Maybe 3 minutes tops if even that. Which in my opinion is not a long enough time to judge If I'm a suitable owner. I do agree I have a husky but how many bad owners do as well? I understand that by me taking my dog to the park, Luka being well groomed and healthy it's easy to conclude I'm a suitable owner but wouldn't be enough for me. Like I said it was all his questions that weirded me out.

Also, Luka is a male lol

Sorry I think you misread my post. He said a lot of people DO like huskies as in he hasn't tried yet but he knows he could rehome him easily.

Well that's the thing we didn't talk awhile.. Maybe 3 minutes tops if even that. Which in my opinion is not a long enough time to judge If I'm a suitable owner. I do agree I have a husky but how many bad owners do as well? I understand that by me taking my dog to the park, Luka being well groomed and healthy it's easy to conclude I'm a suitable owner but wouldn't be enough for me. Like I said it was all his questions that weirded me out.

Also, Luka is a male lol

Sorry I think you misread my post. He said a lot of people DO like huskies as in he hasn't tried yet but he knows he could rehome him easily.

I had one lady offer me a italian greyhound after about 5 minutes talking...it is weird, but like I said...some people have all ready decided and just taking advantage of a opportunity to pass off their dog.  Are they right, no...hopefully I'm not coming off that way. If you really care about your pets, you'll screen homes and not look for a fast, easy out. 

And sorry...sorry Luka! I'm one of those people who confuse sex!

Well hopefully he chooses a little wiser when he does rehome his husky. I'm sorry to say though, most people aren't very smart or practical when it comes to these things. I call it hillbilly syndrome. /ducks

Also, Luka is a male lol

I had one lady offer me a italian greyhound after about 5 minutes talking...it is weird, but like I said...some people have all ready decided and just taking advantage of a opportunity to pass off their dog. Are they right, no...hopefully I'm not coming off that way. If you really care about your pets, you'll screen homes and not look for a fast, easy out.

And sorry...sorry Luka! I'm one of those people who confuse sex!

Well hopefully he chooses a little wiser when he does rehome his husky. I'm sorry to say though, most people aren't very smart or practical when it comes to these things. I call it hillbilly syndrome. /ducks

No no no you're not coming off any bad way. :) actually it makes a lot more sense now that you've explained it that way. It was hard for me to reason I guess because I can't imagine rehoming. As I've never had to.

Lol it's okay I think it's his name. Well that and he's so pretty ;) people always think he's a girl haha

I hope he finds him a good home but he wasn't neutered and I don't know him an Luka would get a long or anything so I'd much prefer to go through a rescue

No no no you're not coming off any bad way. :) actually it makes a lot more sense now that you've explained it that way. It was hard for me to reason I guess because I can't imagine rehoming. As I've never had to.

Lol it's okay I think it's his name. Well that and he's so pretty ;) people always think he's a girl haha

I hope he finds him a good home but he wasn't neutered and I don't know him an Luka would get a long or anything so I'd much prefer to go through a rescue

Poor Luka lol :)

I will never pretend to understand how someone could just offer a dog that short of time, but it happens...not common though [at least not in my experience]. When I do see it, it's all most always someone who doesn't want the dog and is raring to pan it off on someone else. I don't think most on this forum could fathom doing that. Maybe you could gather some rescue info for this guy and offer it to him next time you see him [if you do that is]. I'm not sure how much it'll help if I'm honest, but you never know. ;)

LOL - sorry Alex but...had to laugh!

This happens to me all the time too! It happens so often, I usually just brush it off if it is a passing comment. "Oh, she's so beautiful!" :rolleyes:

lol you're the one person i can understand laughing! hahah we've discussed this before. it's just ironic if you read the two comments above that one i just clarified he was a boy lol