Feeding Show Huskies

Keanu

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who show their Siberian Huskies-what food would you recommend? You might think that all huskies should be similar in their diet requirements, but apparently they are not. Working, racing huskies have more need for high protein diet than show lines, at least I have heard so. When I brought 8 week Lunar she was settled on Royal Canin which we switched, over a week period, to TOTW. Surprisingly, she seemed to do better on RC, her coat is not as shiny now as it was and her skin seems to be drier than before. I am not sure if to go back to RC or to something else. What would you recommend?

I used to feed mine with Orjen  what is  a very good food  they also been on Acana and TOTW.   I do consider all this food have more better ingrediant  but they are quite high in protein   . If  u do not work your husky  u can use all this  food but feed less

I used to feed mine with Orjen what is a very good food they also been on Acana and TOTW. I do consider all this food have more better ingrediant but they are quite high in protein . If u do not work your husky u can use all this food but feed less

Thanks, well certainly she cannot be worked yet as only 10 weeks old, she is on puppy version of TOTW but perhaps it is still too protein high?

Puppies need a high protein diet as they are still building bone and muscle, but to be honest, unless your adult sled dogs are running 100 miles a week or more, I don't think any adult husky needs a high-protein diet. They have an awesomely efficient metabolism and the Chukchi would work them day in, day out for thousands of miles during the winter on a daily chunk of seal blubber and the occasional salmon head. We've found that too high a protein level in adult huskies can lead to hyperactivity. We get dozens of young adult dogs into rescue - often described by their owners as "uncontrollable" and we find that cutting down their protein intake can make a huge difference in calming them down.

The best thing with your pup is to find a food he/she likes and thrives on and use that.

I have used a thing called nature diet. You can get it from P at H.  In the mornings they have 200gm of Wagg working dog and nature diet, in the evening they get Wagg and raw 200gm and during the day they get a carrot or half an apple as a treat. They seem to thrive on this and I have tried all different sorts of food. Different feeds work for different dogs. They will also let you know what they like and what they don't. I know someone who fed all his dogs on a chicken kibble except one. He had to feed this one Beef. If he put chicken in the dogs bowl the dog would tip the food out onto the floor and then poop in the bowl to show his distaste. Give him beef and he ate the lot :)

Gary.

Puppies need a high protein diet as they are still building bone and muscle, but to be honest, unless your adult sled dogs are running 100 miles a week or more, I don't think any adult husky needs a high-protein diet. They have an awesomely efficient metabolism and the Chukchi would work them day in, day out for thousands of miles during the winter on a daily chunk of seal blubber and the occasional salmon head. We've found that too high a protein level in adult huskies can lead to hyperactivity. We get dozens of young adult dogs into rescue - often described by their owners as "uncontrollable" and we find that cutting down their protein intake can make a huge difference in calming them down.

The best thing with your pup is to find a food he/she likes and thrives on and use that.

That makes sense. What is all this ado about grain-free and protein high food for huskies then about? Even on this website lots of people warn that kibble must be grain free. This was the main reason I stopped giving Lunar Royal Canin, although she quite liked it. ... (confused)

All of the people we know in show world use fish for dogs or Simpsons premium

We work and show our guys get csj hike on but to help with there coats every other day they get fresh sardines helps keep coats nice and glossy

I was wondering that! Now, can you feed pups with sardines and how do you prepare them (if at all) - what about fishbones? :/ 

My kennel has a variety of needs, about half are working dogs, half are 'retired' pets, most of my working dogs are also dogs that I show.  The entire kennel is on TOTW as I find that it meets the demands of my working team, keeps the skin and coats top notch for the show dogs, and not too hot for the more sedentary retired kids.  I do start my puppies out on TOTW which I find was less hot than many other foods which caused frequent bouts of diarrhea, but caloricaly fulfilling to meet the growth demands of a young Siberian.  Just my 2cents 

My kennel has a variety of needs, about half are working dogs, half are 'retired' pets, most of my working dogs are also dogs that I show.  The entire kennel is on TOTW as I find that it meets the demands of my working team, keeps the skin and coats top notch for the show dogs, and not too hot for the more sedentary retired kids.  I do start my puppies out on TOTW which I find was less hot than many other foods which caused frequent bouts of diarrhea, but caloricaly fulfilling to meet the growth demands of a young Siberian.  Just my 2cents 

I feed TOTW and have no complains whatsoever, except from Lunar's coat not being shiny. With my GWP I add a splash of vegetable oil to her kibble and it does a job. With my Sibe it doesn't, hence I am tempted to give her a raw fish now and then, but I have no idea how to do it safely X

We also give a few drops of salmon oil in with the kibble too

Re the sardines we got them frozen from local fishmongers for about 2.50 a kilo. Re bones the ones we get are quite small we just chop them in half and give them too our Sibes

Have done for the past 6-8 months with no issues the bones in sardines aren't huge like some other fish