How Do You Feel About Brushing Your Dogs Teeth

CARRINGTON

How do feel about brushing your dogs teeth? Balto is 4 months and is losing teeth like crazy which means blood and bad breath. So we are considering brushing his teeth, we know not to use human toothpaste, but what are others opinions about the type of toothpaste and brush to use? How should we introduce him to the toothbrush and get him used to it.

I use the Nylabone brand dog toothpaste and I brush theirs once a week. They LOVE it!  mostly because it's chicken flavored.  It came with a little hand brush you put over your finger and I think that one works better.  It also comes with an actual brush.

You can also have your vet do it, which I might think about doing once a year.

I brush the teeth of my 3 once a week (every Sunday morning). We have an entire routine down. Each dog gets his teeth brushed with a more firm bristle. Then each dog gets his teeth brushed with a bristle made for senior dogs (I call this the polishing brush- it's a lot softer). Then each dog gets tartar removing foam sprayed into their mouths and a breath mint for doggies. 

During the week, I also add this tartar removing liquid to water. Google: Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Liquid Tartar Remover for Dogs.

I also purchased a tooth pick (like a dentist uses) and will occasionally pick at one of my dog's teeth if I see tartar that the brushing doesn't remove. Sadly, the huskies will not let me do this to them. But Mr. Bear is a champ.

I highly recommend brushing your dog's teeth. This along with a partially raw diet or fully raw diet can really help improve bad breath and tartar (so has been my experience at least).

I brush the teeth of my 3 once a week (every Sunday morning). We have an entire routine down. Each dog gets his teeth brushed with a more firm bristle. Then each dog gets his teeth brushed with a bristle made for senior dogs (I call this the polishing brush- it's a lot softer). Then each dog gets tartar removing foam sprayed into their mouths and a breath mint for doggies. 

During the week, I also add this tartar removing liquid to water. Google: Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Liquid Tartar Remover for Dogs.

I also purchased a tooth pick (like a dentist uses) and will occasionally pick at one of my dog's teeth if I see tartar that the brushing doesn't remove. Sadly, the huskies will not let me do this to them. But Mr. Bear is a champ.

I highly recommend brushing your dog's teeth. This along with a partially raw diet or fully raw diet can really help improve bad breath and tartar (so has been my experience at least).

sounds like a great routine!

Totally agree about brushing your dogs teeth, it can save them pain later in life if they get gum problems x

Tried brushing Deifens teeth with a finger brush at his first puppy party and it was like trying to wrestle an alligator.  He hit down on the finger brush and went straight through it and bit my finger which I must admit did hurt a tad.  He has the Hills prescription diet t/d Dental biscuits at night after his last meal which for now is a much safer option.  I will get back to trying to brush his teeth in the coming months

Well I just bought him a finger brush and some kind of mint dog toothpaste from my local pet store (IMO) best store EVER!!!!! So helpful and they only food they let in their store is grain free and if there isn't certain products in it, and they give you a paper with the list of what to look out for in dog foods and treats and why it is important to look out for those!!!! I sometimes trust that store more then my vet

Suka already had gum problems when we got him (at 4 years old.), the vet said he had minor gingivitis.

I've tried numerous times and techniques to get him to like (or atleast tolerate) getting his teeth brushed, but nothing works. He either gets growly, paws me away, or runs away from me.

It sucks, because there's blood on hard chews and etc from his gums, but he won't let me brush them. I talked to my vet about maybe bringing him in once a year to get a through brushing and tartar removal, but its massively expensive and she would have to put him under for it.

But I'm trying to do things to help without brushing, like feeding him:

- dentabones (sorta helps)

-stale dentastixs (leave the package open for a few weeks, they'll get hard and stiff. I find they work better that way.)

- raw bones (helps the most, but he won't eat them unless they're covered in meat.)

I tried putting some liquid tartar remover in his water, but he won't drink it.

So...yes...I highly recommend getting your pup used to you putting your hands in their mouth, touching their teeth and gums, etc as soon as possible. Then, eventually, you can graduate to putting a finger brush in there.

2 are on raw so teeth are nice and white but Odin won't touch raw, won't eat bones, wont allow me to clean his teeth, wont eat the denture sticks lol no he's not stuborn much lol so he does have tarter on his teeth. i'm going to be finding out how much this is going to cost me and get him in at the vets for a full clean. yep if they want to keep their fingers he will have to be sedated bless him xxxx