Bought, Rescued Or Foster

SA DA KA

When we return from the United Kingdom, we will only be rescuing Siberians for that is our favorite breed, The Rescued Siberian.  We wanted to know why did you buy a Siberian puppy, or Rescued a Siberian or have/would consider Fostering a Siberian.  We donate to several Siberian Rescues in the United States and a couple in England.  We don't know if you have ever contacted a Siberian rescue or followed any on Facebook pages and how astonished to see how many are in the Shelters/Rescues that are looking for fosters/fur ever homes because of unlimited room in shelters and rescues.  There is one rescue in the United States at this time which has 100+ Siberians from very young, older, blind, amputee'd and special needs (medical).  We all love and adore this breed we call The Siberian.  What would you do or could do to help.......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, I originally wanted a puppy...but when I saw Suka at the shelter he stole my heart away. And that was that.

Now, after volunteering at shelters, the majority of animals I ever get will be adopted. I may get a puppy just to have the opportunity to raise it from the start, but my goal is all of my future animals will be adopted...whether they be dogs, birds, or turtles!

Bought our first Daughtry as an 8 week old puppy.

Rescued (through the forum) our 2nd Darwin

also have a rescued White German Shepherd Echo

To be honest, I originally wanted a puppy...but when I saw Suka at the shelter he stole my heart away. And that was that.

Now, after volunteering at shelters, the majority of animals I ever get will be adopted. I may get a puppy just to have the opportunity to raise it from the start, but my goal is all of my future animals will be adopted...whether they be dogs, birds, or turtles!

Thank you for rescuing..Elyse.  But always remember there are  are puppies in rescues and we know of someone who rescue a 4 month old puppy from a shelter.  So puppies are there.  More likely it was unwanted as a Christmas present or just unwanted....

I would love to raise a dog from a pup, but I see so many animals in shelter and I want to save them all. I have rescued my whole life and will probably consider doing that forever.

If I ever take interest in dog shows, then I will consider buying a good quality dog.

Bought Luka as I was uneducated about the major problem of homeless animals.

I'm fostering my first, a female names Sera beginning on Wednesday!! :)

My next will all be rescues!

Its not a bad thing that you bought though. I wonder what happens the the puppies that breeders cant sell.

Its not a bad thing that you bought though. I wonder what happens the the puppies that breeders cant sell.

No I don't regret buying Luka as he's my special boy but there are too many huskies out there without homes not to mention I don't want a puppy ever again. The rescue I'm fostering for said they have breeders contact them all te time to take the puppies that don't get sold. She has a five month old pup right now as well.

I guess I forgot to mention I rescued Knox but he's not a husky ;)

I bought Nikko and when I knew that I wanted a second one I first looked at rescues. I found most of the rescue organizations very particular and required multiple home visits. I understand wanting to make sure the dogs go to a good home and for it to be their last home but some made it almost impossible. Then I met several dogs that just did not get along with Nikko. With him being my priority I ended up deciding and another puppy. I'm happy with my decision as I don't think rescuing is for everyone I think it depends on your situation. I am still open to it though. I'm not actively seeking a third dog at the moment but if i came across the right I wouldn't pass him up! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't regret buying Luka as he's my special boy but there are too many huskies out there without homes not to mention I don't want a puppy ever again. The rescue I'm fostering for said they have breeders contact them all te time to take the puppies that don't get sold. She has a five month old pup right now as well.

I guess I forgot to mention I rescued Knox but he's not a husky ;)

Knox is still a cutey though :P

I bought Nikko and when I knew that I wanted a second one I first looked at rescues. I found most of the rescue organizations very particular and required multiple home visits. I understand wanting to make sure the dogs go to a good home and for it to be their last home but some made it almost impossible. Then I met several dogs that just did not get along with Nikko. With him being my priority I ended up deciding and another puppy. I'm happy with my decision as I don't think rescuing is for everyone I think it depends on your situation. I am still open to it though. I'm not actively seeking a third dog at the moment but if i came across the right I wouldn't pass him up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Luckily Luka likes all large dogs so I'm good, but I totally understand because Luka will always come first.

I bought for two reasons:

1. I am actually afraid of dogs. I knew the only way I wouldn't be scared is if I started with a little one who would learn to trust me.

2. Rescues in my area wouldn't have given me a puppy because I don't have a large fenced yard.

I would love to raise a dog from a pup, but I see so many animals in shelter and I want to save them all. I have rescued my whole life and will probably consider doing that forever.

If I ever take interest in dog shows, then I will consider buying a good quality dog.

Thank you so much for rescuing, you are absolutely right.  There are so many Siberians and other K-9's in rescues and shelters.....needing their fur ever homes.....

Balto was my very own first puppy and we got him from our local humane society where we volunteer at. We also have a cat that we rescued from being put down almost a year ago. I have never bought an animal except for one of my two naked mole rats that I have. I would not want to buy a dog, cat, etc. no matter how purebred they were when I go to my local shelter every week and see dogs big, small, old or young that just want a home and someone to love them forever.

We love your out look....you have learned so much from Luka and will share it with your rescues and Fostering.  Thank you ...

We have asked this question many times ourselves.  Some are fortunate to stay with their breeders if they are responsible and professional but others we are sad to say end up in shelters.....

That's how I feel too. My number one is Nikko and if I got a dog that didn't get along and if I sensed Nikko was stressed the new dog would have to go Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I feel too. My number one is Nikko and if I got a dog that didn't get along and if I sensed Nikko was stressed the new dog would have to go Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had our Sasha first and was our fur kid, so everything revolved around her.  We found a rescue at a shelter and his name was Dakota.  We rubbed our jackets we had on all over him and brought his scent home to Sasha, we then rubbed Sasha with a toy and brought it to Dakota at the Shelter.  The next day we drove to the shelter with Sasha and introduced them out doors in a neutral environment.  Her Alpha ways, she placed Dakota down and stood over him, making him submit to her.  They played a bit then the four of us came home together.  Dakota fell in love with Sasha.  

Rescued both. I don't think I will ever buy a Husky. We have wonderful rescue groups around here and help them when we can.

Rescued both. I don't think I will ever buy a Husky. We have wonderful rescue groups around here and help them when we can.

Thank you so much for rescuing and allowing others to come in when you took yours out so they too may be rescued.....

Balto was my very own first puppy and we got him from our local humane society where we volunteer at. We also have a cat that we rescued from being put down almost a year ago. I have never bought an animal except for one of my two naked mole rats that I have. I would not want to buy a dog, cat, etc. no matter how purebred they were when I go to my local shelter every week and see dogs big, small, old or young that just want a home and someone to love them forever.

You have an amazing heart, Thank you....

Rescuing did cross my mind, though it was pretty much impossible given that I have a cat and also the fact that there are so few Huskies in my area, the few that are in rescues get snapped up quickly.

We have had two dogs that were re-homes though the main reason for that was because these people were family and both dogs were very much loved.

I'm not going to lie, I am turned off shelters because most are dogs I would never consider  in terms of breed.

I think I would only re-home a friend or family members dog like I have in the past. Someone who I know well and someone who I have seen truly love their dog and not want to let them go.

That's just my opinion and I will say there are many great dogs in shelters though there was only one that I fell in love with and if I could have taken her in I would.

We will never see an end to the overpopulation without stricter laws preventing it.

Our first two (Maya and Sophie) we bought as pups. We rescued our third because i knew Maya and Sophie would be too rough on a pup and i really wanted to rescue. So then we got Kay, I kinda wish i rescued a different dog. Maya and Kay hated each other, Kay constantly challenged Maya (still does) and they're both dominant dogs so you can guess how that went over. They constantly fought, at least 4 times a day i would have to break them up and separate them. Kay also killed one of our cats but she's getting much better with them. I'm set on re-homing Kay if she can't get along with Maya (Maya comes first), i'm giving it 6-8 months. It's been 4 so far and the first 2 were horrible, i would cry some nights not knowing if it would ever get better. I would constantly text Megan about it too, i'm sure she was annoyed lol. Maya likes Kay now but Kay still constantly challenges her, Maya just handles it a lot better now and has loads more patience with Kay. I love Kay and i will certainly rescue again. I may foster my fourth dog if i do get another down the line.

Our first two (Maya and Sophie) we bought as pups. We rescued our third because i knew Maya and Sophie would be too rough on a pup and i really wanted to rescue. So then we got Kay, I kinda wish i rescued a different dog. Maya and Kay hated each other, Kay constantly challenged Maya (still does) and they're both dominant dogs so you can guess how that went over. They constantly fought, at least 4 times a day i would have to break them up and separate them. Kay also killed one of our cats but she's getting much better with them. I'm set on re-homing Kay if she can't get along with Maya (Maya comes first), i'm giving it 6-8 months. It's been 4 so far and the first 2 were horrible, i would cry some nights not knowing if it would ever get better. I would constantly text Megan about it too, i'm sure she was annoyed lol. Maya likes Kay now but Kay still constantly challenges her, Maya just handles it a lot better now and has loads more patience with Kay. I love Kay and i will certainly rescue again. I may foster my fourth dog if i do get another down the line.

Thank you for rescuing and not throwing in the towel so quickly.  You are right, yours should always come first and if  you can re-home Kay to someone  you know and trust and would give the love you give to yours, that definitely would be the way to go...instead of putting her back into a shelter and reversing all you have accomplished with Kay.....Thanks for considering a Foster.   You deserve a pat on the back.....