Bought, Rescued Or Foster

SA DA KA

I bought Echo, rescued Cherokee, and the two pups fell in as a mishap pregnancy between echo and cherokee..couldnt get rid of them becuase i felt like they were my responsibility...i do volunteering at two local animal shelters and just learned of a husky shelter not to far from me so i will be fostering and rescuing for now on : )

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We bought Eika at 9 weeks old. My son was only 1 at the time and most rescues around here had 8yrs+ for almost all of their dogs. I also would be hesitant to get a rescue with a small child as you don't know what might set them off. Plus, may be selfish, but I wanted my own little bundle of fluff, having never had a dog of my own before (lived with family-in-law who had 2 pups whilst we were living there) - but I never had pets growing up - so I wanted a puppy all of my own.

Our cats are rescues, which we got when they were 12 week old kittens. Again, another reason rescues would probably turn us down.

I bought Echo, rescued Cherokee, and the two pups fell in as a mishap pregnancy between echo and cherokee..couldnt get rid of them becuase i felt like they were my responsibility...i do volunteering at two local animal shelters and just learned of a husky shelter not to far from me so i will be fostering and rescuing for now on : )

Echo and Cherokee make some pretty babies...just saying :P

My current two are both rescues, one from the "shelter" in Alpine, one off the streets in San Antonio. I'm one of those people who won't buy a dog - there are way too many good animals in the shelters and pounds who deserve another chance. 'Sides, I don't breed or show or "train", my rescues are my companions.

I can go back almost 35 years listing dogs that I've rescued and all have been with me til the day they died - except one, damnit! - they may not have the best home in the world, but they are loved and cared for. To me those shelters who put such limitations in place that it's almost impossible to rescue from them do a dis-service to the dogs they care for.  Is it better for an animal to sit waiting for months than to have a less than satisfactory home?  I know that's a call they have to make, but rescues can't save every dog and, in my mind, giving one an acceptable though less than great home ( thence giving another dog a place ) is better than holding onto them for "just the right place".

Iroh is purchased, we researched before buying him and only went with that particular breeder because they asked a ton of questions and were very picky. It was also their very last litter they are not having any more pups.   

we decided to buy a dog this time vs getting a rescue because we have very small children and wanted a dog that would grow with them, and also so we could work with him from a very young age to get along with the kids and our other dog. we looked and looked at rescues and animal control for a long long time before deciding to purchase, it was not an easy decision.

my other two dogs have been from a rescue or the dog pound. Our little terrier is a rescue and she is 7.  our collie was given to us as a rehome (she passed away last year)  If i could find another younger husky in a rescue that would get along with my other dogs and my children i would get him/her in an instant.     i was trying to decide a week ago if we could try to rescue a husky mix, she had food and toy aggression,  it turned out that someone else was able to take her :) 

I bought my 2 Border Collies as pups & bought my Sibe Mishka at 9wks old.

My youngest collie was actually someone else's dog that I bought her (after she asked me to find her a BC pup). I had him for 6 months to train him & she changed her mind so he ended up staying with me & Deiffen.

With Mishka, I wanted a pup so I could train her from scratch (being the only Sibe) so I could get experience of the breed rather than jumping in with an adult.

I got a bitch as my BCs are both male & didn't want aggression issues.

I'd love to have a rescue as my next dog but as I work full time & live in a flat, I doubt they'd consider me anyway :(

Shame as I have a private foster girl (Husky) living here at the moment too (going back to owner 11th March) & have had no problems with any of them ;)

All my dogs growing up where GSDs and alL rescues. My three current dogs

Mishka (gsd) was my mother in laws

Jade (kelpie) was my OHs and exes dog

Meeko my husky I got from a puppy.

In the future though I would Love to rescue another husky as we were trying to rescue one before we had Meeko. But all the ones I found either couldn't be with other dogs, cats or children. But Im sure the right one will come along eventually.

Bings our first dog was a rescue dog from the dogs home , for our first dog dad didn't want to go thru all the 'hassle' of a puppy as we weren't home enough for one.

Blaze we bought as a puppy , we had enough time for one now and we didn't know about how many were unwanted at the time.

Skyla was kind of both a rehome and a bought pup, I am friends with her breeder n she had been sold to a family before us, they found out they were selling her on so they got her back as it was a breach of their contract, the breeder then asked if would have her , I gave the breeder some money for her as he brought her All the way down to us from Scotland so thought it only fair I pay some money to them for bringing her down here