What Is His Deal???????

CARRINGTON

Balto is once again picking up a terrible habit which I am hoping is NOT aggression. Tonight he has been barking, which is odd. He even barked at my fiances brother when he came over which is NOT like Balto we have people over all the time or the Fedex guy and he never barks but today he would not stop barking at his brother. I was also sitting in the chair and he jumped up and I said down, he didn't get down so as I went to put him on the ground he got down and started to bark at my face (this has never happened EVER). Nipping is about the same which we are working on with time out. We were also working on sit and wait and lay and wait with treats but every time I would step back he would just get up and growl and bark. So I would say ah ah and no and try all over again until he finally got it once. I just don't understand why he is barking. He is also laying on his back and growling/barking which he just started tonight. I have no idea what is going or what to do about this. NOTE: WE HAVE HIM ON NILIF PROGRAM!!!! That is what we are doing for feedings, walks, play time, toys, nipping, to go outside, etc. but this is new and I have no idea what to do.

He's found his voice and is using it to let you know.

At 4 months old he's busy trying to challenge everything.

Now he has a new toy (his voice) to play with and it's something you haven't

told him not to do.

And possibly you may have encouraged him to Woo or "Speak" so he's simply

doing that. At everything and everyone.

He's found his voice and is using it to let you know.

At 4 months old he's busy trying to challenge everything.

Now he has a new toy (his voice) to play with and it's something you haven't

told him not to do.

And possibly you may have encouraged him to Woo or "Speak" so he's simply

doing that. At everything and everyone.

I am hoping this is all it is. I just don't want him to be aggressive.

My GS x Husky barks at me when he wants to go out and if I ignore him he pins me in the chair with his paws and barks in my face. He has never hurt me though . It's just a game to him, and with my 3year old Granddaughter he is different. So gentle with her.........Ron

It's his way of talking back. With your fiance's brother, it may be he wanted to play. You are in for a lot of talking back. Ghost sometimes starts singing how much he doesn't want to do something. And when we want him to kiss us or do something he really doesn't like he gets so grumpy as if he really growls. Most of the time it's woo-ing though.

I am a little concerned that you seem frustrated that there are always some things which arise. Try to relax, a husky will always try to push you as to what he can do.

Are his teeth starting to change by the way? At around this time Ghost's started and stopped nipping me. Pups this young can't be aggressive in my opinion.

Your treats play. Sit, give a treat, wait, and once he waits give the treat. You're using two commands yet he expects his two treats and ergo he woo-es at you to give them to him. Just ignore the sound and tell him lay or sit again. :)

I can best see the woo-ing/talking on Ghost when some toy of his gets under our sofa and he can't get it out so he barks at it. Try and do it to him (or put something very yummy and smelly somewhere he can't reach and you'll see.

This is just a thought but, if I'm reading this right, you say he is normally alright but he started barking at your  fiances brother, or is it just someone else who does not normally come round. Dogs have a strange way of picking up on things and if this guy is not a regular there is a possibility that Balto has picked up on a vibe from this guy the he doesnt like and he's letting you know. Dogs can get very protective of the people closest to them and if he feels that there is a threat he is going to tell you anyway he can. it could also be that he wants to play with the fresh meat that's been introduced to him. If he's doing it all the time then its possible that, as the others have said, he has just found his voice and is now using it. I am in the position where Skye has just found her voice and feels that she is in a safe enough environment to use it without getting a beating so I also am having to try to keep it down so that she doesn't upset the neighbours. Happy husky days. ;)

Gary.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I hope he is just finding his voice and talking up a storm. We have a ton of snow here again and it is coming down like a mad man so Balto has been stuck inside for the past two days except to potty (usually he is the one to bolt inside because he hates it when it is snowing/raining/sleeting on him, but once it is done good luck getting him back inside).