Wolfing Her Food

Cherrie-Nanook-Indy

Kaya is an absolute gannet! She will wolf her food in a matter of seconds. We originally thought maybe she was still hungry so up'd her meals a bit but since being weighed at the vets she is slightly overweight, nothing major and will come down as she grows and if her food is reduced slightly. How do we stop her from gobbling everything down? Would one of them slow feed bowls help or is that not actually fixing the problem and as soon as we put her back to her normal bowl the gobbling would start again? Any ideas would be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue. I had to use one of those puzzle toys and put his kibble in the compartments so it took him longer. Those no-gulp bowls would work too. I also split his meals to 4x pet day. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with koda so will be interested in the replies he inhales his food like he has never been fed! We've got him one of those bowls with the nodules in but that doesn't seem to work with him Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on what your feeding I suppose ie raw or kibble.

Deifen was wolfing his food down and I started putting one off his meals in one of his treat toys so that he has to work to get his food and it only comes out slowly.  I also often use his last feed off the day as a training session by getting him to sit, lie down, give paw etc which also slows his eating down.  This will only really work if you feed kibble as would be quite messy if you feed raw.  He still demolishes high value treats like carrots, apple etc but I will work on that in the same way as the above

Echo and Daughtry "wolf" theirs down also.

Darwin is more genteel, using his tongue to separate the good bits and eats those first, then working his way through the rest.

Depends on what your feeding I suppose ie raw or kibble.

Deifen was wolfing his food down and I started putting one off his meals in one of his treat toys so that he has to work to get his food and it only comes out slowly. I also often use his last feed off the day as a training session by getting him to sit, lie down, give paw etc which also slows his eating down. This will only really work if you feed kibble as would be quite messy if you feed raw. He still demolishes high value treats like carrots, apple etc but I will work on that in the same way as the above

We feed a mix of kibble and meat (nature diet) mixed together, they will also get chicken / beef / innards from the butcher so might be a bit messy lol. I wonder if feeding by hand may slow her down? We have got a kong so maybe we could try one meal in that to slow her down. Indy had the same problem when he came to us but that was down to not having had regular meals before so wouldn't know he was going to be fed again, now he's the slowest eater lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk