Semi Slip Vs Martingale Vs Half Check

Mobezilla

Sooo... which do you like best? Is there any real difference between the martingale and semi-slip besides the shape, and do you prefer one over the other? Is one less safer, i.e. more likely to choke your dog? Does one wear on the fur more than the other, i.e. the half check chain rubbing against the neck? Sorry I currently have a semi slip and although I love it I just wanted opinions on the others :)

I personally prefer half checks, they sit nicely around the neck and it's the dog's bling  :rofl:

Semi-slips annoy me as they have to be on a certain way for the slip to release when on a lead

Martingales annoy me because the loop doesnt hang right, it seems to hang in a big circle, which can get caught on stuff.

My guys all use half checks on pavement walks and in the house, mine wear them quite loose though, more so than most other dogs, but they dont try to slip them

Shadow has a semi slip but i dont actually use it for walking maybe sometimes to take him into the car but very very rarely. He also wears it pretty loose as he doesn't slip his collar and it stops his fur looking odd!

Skye will have one soon also :) Her's however will be a bit tighter

I've never tried semi-slips or half checks. So my vote is going to the martingale. Easy to use, IMO, and pretty safe as there's no risk for choking as it only closes half way.

The kid I use is this:

martingale-nylon-collar-dog-dog_LRG.jpg

Except the loops aren't as big.

thats a half check ;)

this is a martingale (all webbing half check)

DSCF1581Copy_zps0e5bc18b.jpg

this is a semi-slip

DSCF1584Copy_zps48b18583.jpg

thats a half check ;)

this is a martingale (all webbing half check)

DSCF1581Copy_zps0e5bc18b.jpg

this is a semi-slip

DSCF1584Copy_zps48b18583.jpg

Huh. I was told the one I have is a martingale. So there's no difference between the two except the martingale has webbing/fabric everywhere?

Huh. I was told the one I have is a martingale. So there's no difference between the two except the martingale has webbing/fabric everywhere? 

Thats right, essentially they do the same thing, but a half check give the checking sound aswell, while martingale is silent :)

Some places do call the half checks 'martingales', but if you're talking about both of them its the fabric which is martingale, chain is half check (like a full chain one would be a 'check chain')

My boy has martingale with the buckle for easy on and off..I really like it specially because he wears it in the house and for walks I use the prong collar even though the martingale is the same thing without the spikes, I've walked him with the Martingale and he won't pull.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but how tight do you adjust a martingale? We purchased one for Barley and I kinda tried to size it to where the regular collar was but not sure if that is correct. Thanks!

Sorry to revive this thread, but how tight do you adjust a martingale? We purchased one for Barley and I kinda tried to size it to where the regular collar was but not sure if that is correct. Thanks!

No problem on reviving lol.

Just wanted to add that after trying all three, I prefer the half-check to all and appreciate all the replies. They walk so well on it :) 

And if anyone could answer mirage's question on how tight to adjust the martingale I'd appreciate it! :)

When it is pulled tight it should not apply any pressure to the dogs throat, the 2 rings should just meet.

Stacey xxx

When it is pulled tight it should not apply any pressure to the dogs throat, the 2 rings should just meet.

Stacey xxx

I think I'm more confused than ever !  If the two rings just meet when it pulls tight how looses is it at rest ?  Looking at the picture of the chain can't they wriggle out ?  I have spoken to a couple of my local pet shops about this but they seemed to know less than I did !

I think I'm more confused than ever !  If the two rings just meet when it pulls tight how looses is it at rest ?  Looking at the picture of the chain can't they wriggle out ?  I have spoken to a couple of my local pet shops about this but they seemed to know less than I did !

They're very loose at resting point, and yes they can wriggle out, but most don't attempt to. If you want one that they really need to make an effort to get out of, then use a semi-slip, tighten it so you can still fit two fingers underneath behind the ears when it is pulled tight.

This is Aleu wearing her half check at the right size, this one from Indi-Dog that Sid made me :)

205391_10151026711418088_1966306425_n.jp

Stacey xxx