New Husky Parent

SDXicana

Hello, my name is Renee. My husband and I live in San Diego and we just took in a 2 year old male Husky. He lived with my sister at my mom's house from the age of 4 months old, but my sister couldn't properly train him, he was an only outside dog and my mom had reached her limit with my sister's irresponsibility to take care of her dog and he was no longer welcomed there. So my husband and I decided we'd take him into our little menagerie. We don't have any human children, but we have a 1 year old cat, a 6 year old rabbit and a 2 year old hamster.  

Nanook the Husky joined us this past Friday afternoon, and it's been quite the adventure. The rabbit and the hamster live in me and my husband's bedroom, and Nanook will never have access to meet either of them. However, because the cat is an indoor only cat that roams the house, we now have our house rigged with a couple pet gates and we are on shifts right now of who gets to spend time in the living room between Nanook and Thor the cat lol.

Thor is now very weary and constantly on alert of the big giant furry creature in our home now, and Nanook is very aware that the cat roams the home. They've met a few times before from behind bars and we are slowly working on them getting to know each other from far away for now. He hasn't been overly agressive, but is of course very interested in the cat and has barked a couple times.....this will take some time.

Currently Nanook lives partially in the house and partially in the garage, with access to our backyard area, where he'll get to hang out while we are away at work. Today is his first afternoon at home alone in the back yard, I'm anxious to see how he did when I get home in a couple hours!

He's a smart dog, but from what we've read so far, he shows those signs of defiance to follow orders. So we are definitely working with him on following commands. But generally he's a very sweet dog, he loves attention and being petted. The first couple days he growled at my husband a couple times and snapped at him a couple times when he tried to approach him through the pet gate to pet him, but It seems that slowly he's stopping that behavior. We each take him for a walk/jog twice a day, so I'm guessing the more they bond together the better that will get.

Of course we are still learning, this is the first dog that we've adopted as a couple, so we know we have a long road ahead, but we are happy to have him in our home and look forward to years of fun with him.

After that long novel, thanks for reading, I'm excited to be here and learning so much more from everyone here!

Here's a couple pics of the fur ball.

539769_10200226402558922_1869481275_n.jp

This bed really is big enough for him, but his goofy self decided it was more comfy to have his hiney on the floor lol

482201_10200238580863372_134305716_n.jpg

Welcome! He's a beauty!

I to rehomed my girl when my cat was used to being the boss around the house, it took some months but they now tolerate each other, although I never leave them alone together, they actually fall asleep in the same room when I'm around, so give it some time :) 

Welcome to Husky-Owners. Hope everything works out. Just be consistent. He sure is a handsome boy.