How Much Exercise, Puppy

myka

Luna is just over 3 months, I take her for at least 2 15 min walks a day, on top of playing with us. Just wondering if I should be walking her longer? She's pretty lazy lol and doesn't play for long. Also I like to go to bed earlier than most people , 9 ish, is that to early for her to go to bed? She doesn't sleep in a crate, and gets let out for a pee when my hubby gets home at 1 am,? Thanks people!!!!

Chula is just over 3 months. I usually walk her twice a day for 15-20 minutes but they aren't power walks, just slow sniff stuff learn to walk right on a leash walks. She usually gets a couple other short walks for peeing/pooping.

She goes in her crate at around 10 pm and usually stays quiet until around 6 am. She only goes out at night now if she asks for it and that's pretty uncommon.

I play with her some but a lot of our playing is her in time out since she goes nuts and starts nipping.

I'm ready for her to be old enough for real walks! It's hard to tire her out without constant attention.

exercise is usually measured at 5mins strenuous exercise per month of age.

so at 3 month 15 mins per session.

say 3 times per day.

also don't forget they will also be running around the home and garden too.

but once they have had their injections and can go out into the world.

Walks of 5 mins per month of age.

So at 4 months you can take them for a mile walk

She has had all injections up to date so far, I take her just IOU d our neighbour hood again 2 15-20 min walks a day,,,, so that's enough then? It's hard to not think of them like a kid, I feel like when she naps during the day she won't sleep at night, I know they need to sleep cause they are growing, but does it make a difference how much they sleep during the day?

I know , mines nipping a bit, not bad, she stops when I tell her no, she has a few short Bursts of energy but she's pretty calm, I think she ok but then I read some sites tht say she need hours of walks a day,,,

Once they have reached 12 months they can take almost as much exercise as you can give them.

We've always given ours roughly 6 miles of walks per day.

Split up into multiple walks per day.

If you are happy going for hours of walking then when they are old enough they will happily drag you along.

Actually you'll find they drag for the first 10 mins or so then settle down.

The temptation is to give them too much, as a puppy they will be happy to go too far.

However the danger is that your are causing damage to the still growing bones, joints and ligaments.

The damage only becomes apparent many years later when they get hip and joint problems years before they should.

simply waiting a few months at this age to engage in full on strenuous exercise will give them years of

fitness for you to enjoy.

Bikejoring, scootering, running miles and miles with you, sled pulling etc, must wait until they are at least a year old.

Just want to add on - these hip and joint problems are not only painful for the dog, it is also expensive for you! Plus, the dog doesn't enjoy life as much because it 'feels old' much earlier than it should!

Also: be careful with stairs, too much climbing (or racing up them) can cause hip, joint, and ligament problems when they're older too.