Thinking Of Changing Diet

Bambi92

Hi all

I'm thinking about changing Sasha's diet as she is starting to turn her nose up at her food (again) she does this every few months. I'm changing her biskets to Black Hawk Pro biskets I just have her a few to see if she would eat them and I've never seen her want biskets so much she loved them which is a first normally she looks at me as if to say "your kidding right mum" lol she also gets her dog meat roll (megabite) she doesn't really like it now. We ran out of food one night and I sent my partner down the shop to get more but they didn't have her normal food so he got her roo mince and it had something else in it can't remember what though but she loved it only problem was it stunk that bad it made me sick lol she loves roo meat though.

Sasha now gets Supercoat biskets (she likes them but won't eat them with her meat she eats them an hour later or the next day and she gets about 300grams of the megabite dog roll. And gets snacks during the day if I don't eat all of the food I have. My cat also eats her food if she leaves any in her bowl (not sure why but they both eat each others food lol) so if its roo meat she is getting my cat gets a bit to so she does eat sashas when she is trying to eat it.

My questions are

1: is roo meat ok to feed her all the time or should I give her something else as well?

2: should I give her a certain amount of meat and biskets? If so what would you recommend? (The biskets say to give her about 200-250grams for her weight is that enough for her? She is just over 20kgs)

3: what do your fur babies eat and how much do they get? Do they get breakfast and dinner or just one meal?

Sorry it is so long or there is another topic on this and thanks in advance for the advice :)

I'm assuming 'roo meat' is kangaroo meat seeing as you're in Australia?

I know you can feed dogs raw meat (BARF diet), but I don't know the details. When the UK wakes up, I'm sure you'll get better answers. :)

If 'biskets' are kibble (dry dog food), then...

I heard its a bad idea to feed kibble and meat together - this is because they digest at different rates so this causes stomach upset and runny poo and such.

Huskies have very efficient metabolisms, so usually what the bag says is way more than what they are supposed to get. For example, the kibble I feed my boy says I need to give him 4 cups a day for his weight. He is absolutely fine on 1.5 cups a day.

Mine is only fed once a day (at dinnertime), though he gets treats throughout the day.

Hi all

I'm thinking about changing Sasha's diet as she is starting to turn her nose up at her food (again) she does this every few months. I'm changing her biskets to Black Hawk Pro biskets I just have her a few to see if she would eat them and I've never seen her want biskets so much she loved them which is a first normally she looks at me as if to say "your kidding right mum" lol she also gets her dog meat roll (megabite) she doesn't really like it now. We ran out of food one night and I sent my partner down the shop to get more but they didn't have her normal food so he got her roo mince and it had something else in it can't remember what though but she loved it only problem was it stunk that bad it made me sick lol she loves roo meat though.

Sasha now gets Supercoat biskets (she likes them but won't eat them with her meat she eats them an hour later or the next day and she gets about 300grams of the megabite dog roll. And gets snacks during the day if I don't eat all of the food I have. My cat also eats her food if she leaves any in her bowl (not sure why but they both eat each others food lol) so if its roo meat she is getting my cat gets a bit to so she does eat sashas when she is trying to eat it.

My questions are

1: is roo meat ok to feed her all the time or should I give her something else as well?

2: should I give her a certain amount of meat and biskets? If so what would you recommend? (The biskets say to give her about 200-250grams for her weight is that enough for her? She is just over 20kgs)

3: what do your fur babies eat and how much do they get? Do they get breakfast and dinner or just one meal?

Sorry it is so long or there is another topic on this and thanks in advance for the advice :)

I'm not much help on the roo meat...I'd assume it's ok, but you know what they say about 'assume.'  :rolleyes: I personally would just pick one or the other [again assuming briskets means kibble]...meat or kibble. A lot are big on the barf/raw diets [least they are around here], but just remember you have to feed them more than just meat...you do have to feed veggies and other things too. I don't know a great deal about the diet, but do know that much. My dogs eat just kibble...my chow/husky eats once a day, where my little one is free fed. I usually feed right in the middle of the day. I did just switch him [chow/husky] to a higher protein and calorie food, which enabled me to lower him from 3 cups a day to only 2. I do give both my dogs scraps IF I have any left from what I'm eating, usually the stuff I hate like chicken skin and the fat around the edges of meat. Sometimes veggies too...they love carrots.  :wub:

I have read from several places it is not unusual for a husky to stop eating for a day or two and go through periods of time where they just aren't hungry. From my understanding, it's completely normal and ok...they will eat when they are hungry [if she started loosing weight, then I would worry]. Not that I have that problem with mine eating...he's yet to miss a meal or not finish it. He loves his food.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I'm assuming 'roo meat' is kangaroo meat seeing as you're in Australia?

I know you can feed dogs raw meat (BARF diet), but I don't know the details. When the UK wakes up, I'm sure you'll get better answers. :)

If 'biskets' are kibble (dry dog food), then...

I heard its a bad idea to feed kibble and meat together - this is because they digest at different rates so this causes stomach upset and runny poo and such.

Huskies have very efficient metabolisms, so usually what the bag says is way more than what they are supposed to get. For example, the kibble I feed my boy says I need to give him 4 cups a day for his weight. He is absolutely fine on 1.5 cups a day.

Mine is only fed once a day (at dinnertime), though he gets treats throughout the day.

Yes I mean kangaroo meat and kibble lol sorry so use to using those terms :)

Well tonight I gave her the choice of the kibble and her meat. She only ate the kibble I gave her 1 cup of kibble (half supercoat and half black hawk as i dont know if giving it to her all at once will upset her tummy) but she went crazy for more i haven't given her anymore not sure if I should or not? When I say she went crazy I mean she ate all the kibble in less then 3mins (a record for her) kept going to the box with the kibble in it and when my partner got up she barked, wooed, jumped up on him and pretty much tried to push him over to the box HAHA I've never seen her do that just for kibble!

The kibble has heaps of vitamins and all the good stuff in it would that be enough for her? Plus what ever scraps she gets during the day she gets veggies when we have them but will only eat them with mash potatoe and gravy (she is very picky) she hasn't touched the meat and its been down for over an hour now which means she won't eat it unless Missy (partners Maltese) goes to eat it but I'm stopping her from eating out of sashas bowl as sasha has decided it's a great idea to start getting snappy when food is around now I have to get her out of doing that she use to be fine I could touch her mouth move her bowl and all that before but now she's started to snap when ever food is around.

Is 1 cup of kibble enough? Or should I give her 1 and a half? It just doesn't look like enough but Im also not use to giving her a certain amount of food.

My boys sometimes skip a meal its natural for them after all they wouldn't eat every day without fail in the wild. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sasha is the same she has always done it she went two days without eating one time don't know how she did it lol

Yeah. While it isn't the best kibble around (scanned the ingredients - too many grain products and not enough meat products in first 5 ingredients.), she should be fine on it.

1.5 cups a day is fine for my boy, and he's 74 pounds. (this is what I feed mine, you can see the nutrient and calorie count per cup there...http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/dry_food/pacific_stream_canine_formula/ )

TOTW is what Balto eats and he loves loves loves loves it!!!!! Here is a paper that my local pet store gave me they only sell animal foods with these ingredients in them if they have any of the avoid in them they are not allowed in the pet shop door. 

Look for: clearly named meat or fish (ex. chicken, lamb, beef, pork, fish, etc); concentrated named meat proteins such as chicken meal, turkey meal, beef meal, etc; whole grains and starches (brown rice, barley, sweet potatoes); fresh fruits and vegetables (whole potatoes, carrots, apples); named fats from quality sources (chicken fat, sunflower oil, herring oil); and natural preservatives (mixed tocopherols, vitamin C or E)

Avoid: non-specific ingredients (poultry by-products, meat and bone meal); protein filters (refined flours, wheat, mil runs); carbohydrate overload (refined flours, wheat, mill runs), processed fruits and vegetables (dehydrated potatoes, tomato pumice); fats from non-specific sources (animal fat, poultry fat, and vegetable oil); artificial preservatives (BHA and BHT)

TOTW, FROMMS are the top selling dog foods, there are others but I have only really tried these and Balto loves them

Yeah. While it isn't the best kibble around (scanned the ingredients - too many grain products and not enough meat products in first 5 ingredients.), she should be fine on it.

Is that the Supercoat kibble your talking about or the black hawk?

I was talking to one of the rescue groups I follow which deal mainly with husky/mals/Akita and they use the black hawk for there dogs they said its great for them and helps there coat look nice and stuff like that.

I buy the kibble in the big bags because its a lot cheaper then buying small bags lol

Until I joined the forum I'd never heard of TOTW. The vets recommend optimum and for specific diets they use science diet I think it's called I've heard a few use the black hawk as well.

DO NOT USE SCIENCE DIET. Sorry had to get that out there. Balto came to us from a shelter and was on science diet and our vet even recommended it. Needless to say Balto always had runny poops and would regurgitate, so we talked to our local pet store who said they would not recommend science diet and the reason is because it has the ingredients I listed above and told us about fromms and TOTW. Many on here use TOTW so I bought it and now he has hard poops unless he gets something he shouldn't and no more vomiting.

Oh wow poor pup :(

I've never used it that's another reason I want to change sashas diet I've noticed her poop is a bit soft hopefully with this food she will be better not sure if its her diet or because she eats my cats food or some other reason.

I've heard people say dogs and cats shouldn't eat each others food because of the salt difference not sure how true it is? My lot seem to be fine sharing each others food and they love it lol