Fact Sheet For The Breed

Sarah

Hi peeps I am going to be putting a fact sheet together for when we arrange fun days at dogs shows etc and would like your input, what would you put on a fact sheet that would be given to a member of the public to educate about the breed? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That you can't just leave them out in a yard their entire lives, I don't have a lot of experience like most people here do, though Rafeal is so intelligent and good at expressing his emotions to a point where I think people need to think of a Husky as more then "Just a dog".

I think you have to be willing to make changes to your daily life to accommodate them.

Though this is coming from a first-time owner lol

I don't want to start with a negative, but I think it definatley needs statistics about how many huskies are rehomed each year by people who do not do their research into the breed. I am amazed by how many people watch a film, think cute dog, get a husky (or any other breed) without looking into what they are actually buying.

I spent over 20 years weighing up the pros and cons before getting Mia, we spent alot of money in building her a day run and evn reduced my hours at work to ensure she has everything she needs. I knew there would be loads of hair, lots of digging in the garden, possible jumping over the fence, and never being able to let her of the lead in an open space.......but even after all my research and preperation the demands of this breed still took me by surprise.

SHEDDING!! Including a picture of what they can look like whilst blowing their coat as people do not believe the amount of fur they are going to shed when they get a husky and even people who get them and then say they are blowing (as in at a puppy stage) that is nothing compared to a real blow! lol

how stubborn they are pic's of the damage they can cause if board or not exercised, pic's of your house when blowing i.e, the tumble wead, pic's of your garden before and after lol

the fact that getting a husky means you eat, drink, sleep with their fur, the fact that you can forget wearing black lol and how we are very spoilt owners as our furkids give us a new fur coat every day.

the fact they have sensitive tummies so need different diet requirements. why it's stated they can't be let off lead, the fact alot pull and pull hard why ? thats what they were breed for.

There not loyal will go to any one, their not guard dogs, their very vocal, they do what they want when they want.

oh don't get me started lol

their loving, cuddly,

I might take a photo of my garden, it looks like its been snowing, it hasn't its the small bit of hair I didn't catch before the wind caught it during her morning brush!! 

The birds around here are going to have very soft nests this spring with all of Mia's hair

Anyway I found the perfect solution for the fur problem........I bought a carpet and settee the same colour as the dog, problem sloved, haha

High separation anxiety (so they need to be some place where there will be someone to tend to them), a bored husky is a destructive husky, they don't like fetch (at least mine doesn't he just wants you to throw the ball and then you never see it again because he wants to play fetch and chew the ball himself), good luck getting them out of the snow, husky and listening do NOT go in the same sentence (wish I would have knew that before), they are extremely vocal, they have sensitive tummies, high prey drive, if you get a puppy how much exercise they actually need compared to how much you think they need

Love to be with humans.

BUT. . .

not much loyalty, will go off with anyone at the drop of a hat.

oh yeah not good guard dogs, maybe explain the different types of foods that are best for huskies such as raw and different kibble types, brushing their teeth (if they get them while they are little you practice with them they don't usually mind as much considering they were shown this when a baby), have their paws played with so when they get nails trimmed they will once again be used to this, explain the zoomies to them (Balto has the zoomies, especially when he has a rawhide or he comes in from playing in the snow), they need mental stimulation as well as physical, maybe introduce the NILIF program since most do not seem familiar with this (this works wonders with Balto), they are very good with small children and people in general so good family dogs, talk about possible health problems such as hip and joints and eye problems so they know how much a dog is going to cost.

how they are on the top of the list on dogs stolen so to KEEP THEM INDOORS!! Also how they do better in packs..My echo was a pain in the rear intill we got another now he is calm and well behaved...definatly their diet..all the reading i did online never said they couldnt have whole grains and my dogs constantly had the runs intill i came on to this website and you all told me NO WHOLE GRAINS no their stool is perfect

what a list of what makes them hard work, but so very worth it. I love my girl and all her quirks to bits.........Just laughing to myself writing this as dog hairs are settling on my keyboard as I type, haha