At What Age...

Chula

At what age does play nipping become a true concern that requires outside help? Chula is almost 15 weeks and she's still so dang nippy. She will usually stop for awhile if I put her in timeout but then she will start again. Her mouth is getting stronger so it hurts.

If I say no and stand still she will bite my pants or legs. She'll do it if I give her my back too. If I walk away slowly she will chase and jump and bite my butt. She also nips if you try to clean her feet off after coming inside.

OH is hesitant to spend $$ on puppy school or a private trainer, because mostly she is a good girl, but I'm getting concerned that the nipping is not showing signs of improvement.

I found teeth all over the house when they were teething!  Or I would see blood all over on of their chew toys, especially when they lost a molar, those suckers would bleed alot!

I would keep pushing puppy classes.  Even if you just do the PetSmart ones, at least something.  It's around 100 bucks for the 6 week class

Balto still nips as well but is getting better. I would keep pushing and pushing for puppy classes. If you find a decent one they aren't that expensive and really worth it. It helps a lot with the biting because he plays with other dogs and as soon as he bites to hard they stop playing with him and it also wears him out since he gets to play with other puppies and he has to learn commands so it mentally stimulates him

We went to the PetSmart in our area and met the trainer on Saturday. Let's just say...she's very young... and sort of ditsy. Chula might be little (though 17 pounds isn't tiny), but I don't think she looks 10 weeks old - which is what the trainer thought she was. I don't know why, but that just indicated to me she's not got any experience with huskies and maybe not too much with puppies. I'll do some internet searching today. I think in my area it will be hard to find someone with experience with huskies.

We went to the PetSmart in our area and met the trainer on Saturday. Let's just say...she's very young... and sort of ditsy. Chula might be little (though 17 pounds isn't tiny), but I don't think she looks 10 weeks old - which is what the trainer thought she was. I don't know why, but that just indicated to me she's not got any experience with huskies and maybe not too much with puppies. I'll do some internet searching today. I think in my area it will be hard to find someone with experience with huskies.

Probably not a good idea to go to them then LOL.  I put both of mine through the PetSmart classes here and my trainer was great, but he had a lot of experience.  It can vary from store to store on how good the trainers are.  That's the problem with chain stores.  I did take Yukon to a private trainer for puppy classes and I didn't care for it so I went back to PetSmart.