If You Crate During The Day

Chula

How do you get over the feelings of guilt? I hate the idea of her being in a crate. I know, know, know she needs it as she is still eating everything she can get her mouth on, but it makes me so sad! She is house/crate trained enough now that we've given her a bit more room in her crate so that she can actually completely stretch out with her legs splayed and/or play a little, and she can see out the window, but I still feel this awful, overwhelming guilt.

I know we can't be with her all the time, we need to work to make $$ to take care of her, but I still hate it. I looked into a few doggie daycares but the ones that weren't ridiculously expensive I wasn't super impressed with.

I cannot wait until she is old enough to go to work with daddy.

I crate Balto during the day considering if I don't my house will be destroyed and more then likely my cat will be dead, and I always hate leaving him in there. However, as soon as we get home he bouncing around like Tigger just happy to see us so we pet him, play with him and give him love and attention for the rest of the night and that seems to work fine with him. I just think of it more as all my animals are safe (including him because there is no telling what he will find) and when we get home he get loads of attention, exercise, play time, etc.

She seems okay in there, and she's pretty much always sleeping when I give her a lunch break or when one of us gets home in the evening, but I figure she must be lonely. Even with the TV on, it's not like she's getting into the story line and enjoying! When I had cats I never worried if they were lonely, because mostly they just wanted to sleep all day and not be bothered.

I felt really guilty at first for crating mine, but I noticed that if I take a day off work during the week, all they do is lay around and sleep all day, so I figured what's the difference if they are sleeping in their crate or on the floor?  As long as they have safe items to occupy them in the crate and you exercise them before they will be good :)

I went home to let her out at lunch and I could see through the door that she was passed out in her crate with one of her little hide-a-squirrels in her mouth. When I opened the door, she was soooo happy to see me with her puppy ears back, her tail wagging, her little puppy cry! I didn't want to come back to work!

Poor Aurora! I hope she gets used to it. 

i have been crating alaska now for 3 weeks and she's settling in nicely although now we are both back to work this last week we have got a dogwalker to come round and give her a break from the crate for an hour in the day. loves to see us home for plays and walks, ears back chatting away.

I felt really guilty at first for crating mine, but I noticed that if I take a day off work during the week, all they do is lay around and sleep all day, so I figured what's the difference if they are sleeping in their crate or on the floor? As long as they have safe items to occupy them in the crate and you exercise them before they will be good :)

Exactly!! Luka sleeps all day when I'm home anyways! Haha

I didn't ever get over my feelings of guilt with Hurley. I crated her for the first 4 months that I had her for a couple of reasons.

1.) She like to chew stuff. I knew that if I left her out before i broke that habit, my kids would have no toys left

2.) I was worried about my cat.Until I was 100% sure that Hurley was not going to hurt my cat, I wasn't going to take chances.

But Ihave had her for 6 months and she is a free roamer now. She proved herself a good girl. But funny thing is, I come home to find her asleep in her crate.