Does Your Husky Play Fetch?

Chula

Maybe it's just cause she's a puppy, but Chula absolutely LOVES to play fetch. She will play fetch with anything at this point, but her favorite are squeaky toys and balls. After reading about how huskies won't play fetch, I told my significant other not to expect it. And of course now I've got a dog who, in the absence of a bowl full of kibble, will play fetch all.day.long.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes if I won't play fetch she will play fetch with herself.  :P  She will throw the ball in the air, let it bounce and roll, and then pounce on it. Rinse, and repeat.

If she has two balls, she tries to herd them together to figure out how to get them to both roll to the same spot so she can get them both in her mouth.

Darwin will chase the ball.

Pick it up, immediatley drop it then wander over sit and look at me

as if to say go on then go get it then numbskull.

Echo our White GSD is a ball throw fiend.

I stand in the middle of the garden with 2 balls.

thow one down one end of the garden.

she chases it picks it up races back, about 20 feet away from me she drops it

and it rolls to me.

By this time I launch the 2nd ball to the other end of the garden.

echo doesn't stop just keeps running full tilt to get the ball.

We repeat this for 15 mins and she's absolutely knackered. :up:

Skye plays with them herself she also talks to them.... Lol

Hahahaha. That's so cute. Chula is just learning to "talk". Mostly she just barks when OH is around (because he talks to her when she's barking, so she talks back - sure wish he'd stop that), but now sometimes she lets out these high pitched squeaks and funny guttural sounds. I so prefer the squeaking to the barking. Ugh.

Mia plays fetch, I throw the ball, she runs after it, picks it up, drops it and barks at me to throw it agian, which usually means I have to fecth the ball from wherever she dropped it, usually the opposite end of the room/garden!! Im not quite sure who does the most running, haha

I discovered that my Nanook will play fetch, he loves to chase after a ball, but his problem is that then the ball becomes HIS, he will not drop it for anything. Yesterday I tried to get creative and I think I found a little system. I got 2 balls, and when he ran and fetched the one I threw, when he gets back to me I show him the other one in my hand and signal and say for him to drop the one in his mouth as I show him the one in my hand. That seems to work! As soon as he sees the Other ball in my hand, he drops the one in his mouth so he can chase the second one I threw. Although a couple times he tried to go chase after the second ball while he still had the first ball in his mouth, he was a little confused as to how he was going to pick up that second ball with the first in his mouth  :lol:

You threw it human! - YOU fetch it :D

Ours will play fetch indoors but there are more interesting things to do outside so fetch doesn't last too long in the park

We haven't tried outside fetch yet, just inside fetch. I'm pretty sure she won't do outside fetch! She barely recognizes my existence when we're outside.

I'm pretty sure she won't do outside fetch! She barely recognizes my existence when we're outside.

I know this is a tad off topic, but this was a serious problem for Ro and me...I know many say it's 'a husky thing,' but it was getting out of control especially when other dogs were passing by. He'd go into a fit and scream, jump, etc and again, I realize it's 'a husky thing'...but people popping their heads out their windows to see if a dog was being murdered...yeah, not so fun for me. I ended up getting some great tips from some positive reinforcement trainers [i like to call them clicker happy trainers :D] to teach him how to focus on me...it's far from perfect but WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than it was before. We actually passed a screaming/choking Beagle not long ago on a walk and he behaved awesome...I all most jumped on top of him with ear to his chest to see if he was still breathing. He was...whew! ;)

We haven't tried outside fetch yet, just inside fetch. I'm pretty sure she won't do outside fetch! She barely recognizes my existence when we're outside.

Ro loves fetch, at least inside the house...he'll play forever. Outside, he will run and retrieve said item, but he will not bring it back to me...instead, he runs laps over and over with it hanging out of his mouth.

Both of these sound like what I meant when I said there are more interesting things to do in the park. Or they will go off and chase a ball thrown for another dog, completely ignoring the one they are familiar with and can track by smell alone, even in long grass

I know this is a tad off topic, but this was a serious problem for Ro and me...I know many say it's 'a husky thing,' but it was getting out of control especially when other dogs were passing by. He'd go into a fit and scream, jump, etc and again, I realize it's 'a husky thing'...but people popping their heads out their windows to see if a dog was being murdered...yeah, not so fun for me. I ended up getting some great tips from some positive reinforcement trainers [i like to call them clicker happy trainers :D] to teach him how to focus on me...it's far from perfect but WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than it was before. We actually passed a screaming/choking Beagle not long ago on a walk and he behaved awesome...I all most jumped on top of him with ear to his chest to see if he was still breathing. He was...whew! ;)

It's interesting, Chula is not even remotely interested in little dogs. When she sees little yippers that are dying to get close to her, she kind of gives them the "go away plebe" look and if I say "on by" she doesn't hesitate to keep on walking. But when she sees BIG DOGS, oh my goodness, you'd think they were big walking blobs of bacon she just ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO GET CLOSE TO THEM AND SNIFF THEM. Up on her back feet pulling and whining.

Yukon will play fetch all day long!  He loves it. No matter where I throw it he will run after it and bring it right to me every time!  Nikko, however will run after it, pick it up and hoard it, or he will just drop it wherever he wants to.  He is a toy hoarder, not that he wants the toy or ball, but he doesnt want Yukon to have it.  If I am playing fetch with Yukon, Nikko will usually get involved and ruin it LOL. 

On, and mine don't pay attention to small dogs either, just ignore them.  But big dogs, watch out!  They LOVE big dogs!  There is a great dane in the neighborhood that they absolutely love!  They can spot him from a mile away LOL

It's interesting, Chula is not even remotely interested in little dogs. When she sees little yippers that are dying to get close to her, she kind of gives them the "go away plebe" look and if I say "on by" she doesn't hesitate to keep on walking. But when she sees BIG DOGS, oh my goodness, you'd think they were big walking blobs of bacon she just ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO GET CLOSE TO THEM AND SNIFF THEM. Up on her back feet pulling and whining.

I wonder if she views the smaller dogs as too fragile to play with? Ro doesn't react strongly towards small dogs either [unless they are reacting, such as the beagle...unlike Chula, that normally would of triggered him into a matching response], but the trainer I visited with thought it was more of a protection thing...ie he didn't view small dogs as a threat so that's why he had less reaction. I'm not sure if I totally agree it's protection, I see it more as a over stimulation thing...I mean seriously, I could wave a steak in front of Ros face during these times and he would do two things. Not notice it's even there, or grab and drop it to ground because he is more stimulated over what he is seeing than by what he is smelling. Since dogs usually go by scent before sight, it's a pretty unusual thing [there are of course exceptions-ie sight hounds-maybe huskies? I really don't know]. I saw something on youtube other day I may start practicing with Ro myself, which is doing smell excersizes/training to help them learn to use his nose more rather than just jumping directly to sight.