Do You Play Hide And Go Seek?

SDXicana

So I'm slowly letting my Nanook get used to being outside during the day while I'm at work, this week he's been on a garage in the morning and outside after lunch schedule, but starting Monday I'm planning to put him outside when I leave for work around 7:30am and he'll stay there all day until my husband comes home around 4ish. This week I noticed that digging behavior, he started digging a couple holes in the plants area, which is fine, I expected that. But I'm wondering if there is some other things I can do keep him busy during the day? Do any of you play sort of a hide and go seek with your huskies, and does it work? I was thinking, maybe I can hide some treats like behind bushes, or next to the back shed or maybe even bury a couple of them in the holes he's already dug and see if he finds them. Any suggestions or ideas of anything else I could do?

Right now he's outside with a couple toys to play with and chew on, but it doesn't seems he's using them that much.

afraid i can't really help, i crate mine when i'm at work as i don't trust him being alone in the backyard. Make sure your backyard is secure as they are known to dig. i just filled about 12 holes in mine yesterday.

however, when i crate Luka i leave him with a kong, toys, etc.

My backyard is pretty good because the whole perimiter that's fenced is all on cement, so there's now way he can dig himself out :lol: . The only parts he can dig are on the side there's an area with soil and plants. I just bought this house and they planted some random plants everywhere, so I don't really care if he digs that up lol, he's probably doing me favor by digging up all the weeds that grew out from all the rain we had recently ^_^

Yep - I hide treats around the house for Suka...then I tell him to 'go get it'...then he goes off and (hopefully) finds them all!

Here's a video of Suka trying to get at a treat inside a basket. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baACSnH9M9c&feature=player_embedded

I find it mentally stimulates him...because you can actually see him thinking 'how do I get at this?'. Even though he's  a calm dog already, he likes these sort of games cause they involve food! lol