Female Playing?

LittleLuka

Sera is sweet as can be to me. Luka and Knox however.... She growls at them if they even get near her. I know she's very growly in general (that's her way of talking) but I don't know when she's being serious. Luka was running around outside and she started chasing him and nipping him. He didn't yelp or anything but she had a mouthful of his fur when she let go.

I know she's only been here one day but I don't want Luka to be scared. He keeps coming back for more every time she does this. Is this how they play? It's so hard to tell with the growling.

It just seems like she doesn't like either of them...

Keep in mind she's 2 and Luka is an obnoxious 1 year old and Knox is 4-5 months.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno if this helps at all, but my eskimo Cloud actually growls seriously and bites at Yuki. It's not aggression at all because I've seen him get snippy with her, but he will bite at her rump and chase her while growling. There is a point though where Yuki does get tired of it and thats when I tell him enough.

Here's a video of Sophie and Kay playing.

Maya and Kay can't be outside together because Kay sorta plays like that with her but it's not all play and they get into nasty fights. Maya doesn't like to be chased and then have her butt bit hard.

Okay that's how they were playing last night but now Luka is running and she does straight for him growling and bites him in the back. She's a LOT more growly than your video.

And she was sitting in the chair right now he walked up to her and she started growling and showing her teeth...

I also don't think she's been socialized well before the rescue got her. The rescue said she did well at her house.

Dunno if this helps at all, but my eskimo Cloud actually growls seriously and bites at Yuki. It's not aggression at all because I've seen him get snippy with her, but he will bite at her rump and chase her while growling. There is a point though where Yuki does get tired of it and thats when I tell him enough.

Interesting. I just don't know when enough is enough. I've never dealt with a female before so I'm new to this lol

Okay that's how they were playing last night but now Luka is running and she does straight for him growling and bites him in the back. She's a LOT more growly than your video.

And she was sitting in the chair right now he walked up to her and she started growling and showing her teeth...

I also don't think she's been socialized well before the rescue got her. The rescue said she did well at her house.

I had a lot of instances where i would bring Maya in from outside and Kay would run up to her and snarl, showing teeth and everything. Every time she showed any sign of not playing i would put her in a timeout in the bathroom. I would usually judge when it's too much by the other dogs reaction or if she shows her teeth anytime their not playing together. Like if the other dog is getting edgy and sorta shy's away from her i would put her in a time out. I don't think Kay was well socialized either, she doesn't listen to other dogs and immediately turns things into a fight.

I had a lot of instances where i would bring Maya in from outside and Kay would run up to her and snarl, showing teeth and everything. Every time she showed any sign of not playing i would put her in a timeout in the bathroom. I would usually judge when it's too much by the other dogs reaction or if she shows her teeth anytime their not playing together. Like if the other dog is getting edgy and sorta shy's away from her i would put her in a time out. I don't think Kay was well socialized either, she doesn't listen to other dogs and immediately turns things into a fight.

Maybe ill try that. I want to help her but Luka and Knox are my first priority.

Maybe ill try that. I want to help her but Luka and Knox are my first priority.

It should work and i know that feeling, that's how i am with Kay right now. But at least her and your pups haven't been in fights so that's something. I'm sure you can get through this. :D

True I think the only reason they haven't though is because Luka isn't dominant. She scares me a little not because of me but for Luka. I'm trying to be nervous though or they'll know

True I think the only reason they haven't though is because Luka isn't dominant. She scares me a little not because of me but for Luka. I'm trying to be nervous though or they'll know

That's definitely the reason, lol. It's hard to not be nervous, I've been trying for a while. Whenever something happened that i knew would trigger Maya to attack Kay, she resource guards, i would try and not be nervous. It's especially hard when they're right next to me, I've been bit by Kay once when i got in the middle of a fight so i try not to be nervous when they get growly while near me. I also seriously freak out when they get into nasty fights (after they're already separated and safe) because that's some scary stuff. But it gets better!  :)

Okay so it's definitely not playing. She was in her crate and Luka walked by her and she started snarling and going nuts. It's to the point if either of them gets near her she freaks out and wants to fight.

I'm beginning to wonder if she's hurt or not feeling well? I do know she escaped her crate yesterday so i'm wondering if she hurt herself. I checked her over and nothing seems to bother her though. I left her out today in a separate room because she's not destructive but i didn't want to leave her out in the main living room in case Luka decided to get out and i'd have a full out fight when i'm not home. I've already called the rescue for them to come help me. I need serious help training her or she's seriously going to have to move to another foster home. My dogs can't even walk around their own house without getting snapped at.

I just feel so horrible for this dog because I can tell she was abused and the poor thing spent the last 2 years of her life locked in a backyard. It's just not fair for us to continue the way i have it right now because she's not getting the attention she deserves. I'm having to separate them at all times and I feel horrible. The OH slept on the couch with her last night because she can't be in the bed with the other ones and she hates her crate.

I hope the rescue can help me.

I hope that you get everything sorted out. I have no advice as I have never been in this situation but I do hope the rescue can help you out or atleast send her some place else and then hopefully they can give you another foster who they know does really well with other dogs.

This is a shame as it was looking so promising. When you started explaining what was happening it definately sounded like play but as you've continued it seems now that it's more like there is an issue between them. I use tha command STOP and put my hand in front of them. It will take a little while but it does the job and they soon know what they can do and what they can't do. Mine play quite roughly at times but they are always wagging their tails, good thing to watch for. When the tail stops wagging and the teeth are bared then a swift STOP is given. As I said they soon learn ;) I do hope you can overcome this problem with her, good luck. 

Gary.

This is a shame as it was looking so promising. When you started explaining what was happening it definately sounded like play but as you've continued it seems now that it's more like there is an issue between them. I use tha command STOP and put my hand in front of them. It will take a little while but it does the job and they soon know what they can do and what they can't do. Mine play quite roughly at times but they are always wagging their tails, good thing to watch for. When the tail stops wagging and the teeth are bared then a swift STOP is given. As I said they soon learn ;) I do hope you can overcome this problem with her, good luck. 

Gary.

yeah i know! it was play at first, they were jumping around like loons and playing. Now Luka gets near her and she wants to bite him. :( It doesn't help that he doesn't seem to take her warning growls seriously and just keeps on until she about rips his head off. My biggest worry is that Knox is still only 4-5 months old and a baby. She was so gentle with him at first and really liked him (more than Luka) and now she does the same thing to him as well. That's what makes me think something is wrong.

It certainly sounds like somethings wrong but you really need to get someone else, such as the rescue, with a bit more experience with this sort of thing to assess the situation.You are on a learning curve and there is no better way to learn than this. Get them to guide you through it and you'll come out the other end with some valuable knowledge.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

It certainly sounds like somethings wrong but you really need to get someone else, such as the rescue, with a bit more experience with this sort of thing to assess the situation.You are on a learning curve and there is no better way to learn than this. Get them to guide you through it and you'll come out the other end with some valuable knowledge.

Gary.

I've already contacted the director. She's worked with huskies for 17 years so she will know how to handle it.

Sorry to hear its not going so well. Skye does not know when to leave shadow alone and he eventually snaps and I have to pull him off so it's Skye I'm training to learn when enough is enough.

Obv may not be the same situation, do you know any of her background?

Sorry to hear its not going so well. Skye does not know when to leave shadow alone and he eventually snaps and I have to pull him off so it's Skye I'm training to learn when enough is enough.

Obv may not be the same situation, do you know any of her background?

shes 2 years and 3 months old. her owner left her in a backyard all the time and she had escaped 4 times probably because she was so bored and had no interaction. She seems to be scared of any loud noise or if my OH yells (not at her like he yelled my name the other day because i was in the other room and she freaked) she came right up to him with her ears back and licking him like apologizing. really weird. i think she was abused as well honestly. :(