How Often Do You Wash Your Husky?

Julieanne

Rafeal had his first proper wash in two months and even though he soaks himself in the shell every day, he was full of dirt that the shampoo brought out.

When I saw the pure white patches on his coat it reminded me of how beautiful and clean he was when I first got him.

Also, if anyone can recommend a type of comb or product to keep him cleaner in between washes that would be great  :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the subject of another thread a little while ago Julieanne. The general census of opinion is that you should very rarely bath them as it plays havoc with the natural oils in their skin. Mine only get done when they stink the house down or they are extremely bad other than that if it's just dirt from a walk just leave them to dry off and then sit and wonder where the heck all that dirt went a couple of hours later. :D . I tried all sorts of brushes but some would get parts out that others couldn't and then you'd need another brush for a different part. In the end someone told me about the Furminator. Not a cheap item but since I bought one I have not looked back. Absolutely brilliant. I'd advise only light use on a young dog though as they are a bit harsh. Hope this helps you.

Gary.

This was the subject of another thread a little while ago Julieanne. The general census of opinion is that you should very rarely bath them as it plays havoc with the natural oils in their skin. Mine only get done when they stink the house down or they are extremely bad other than that if it's just dirt from a walk just leave them to dry off and then sit and wonder where the heck all that dirt went a couple of hours later. :D . I tried all sorts of brushes but some would get parts out that others couldn't and then you'd need another brush for a different part. In the end someone told me about the Furminator. Not a cheap item but since I bought one I have not looked back. Absolutely brilliant. I'd advise only light use on a young dog though as they are a bit harsh. Hope this helps you.

Gary.

Thanks, I don't plan on washing him too often. 

Kira was washed 2 times in her 2 years with us. Once when she got here cos she smelled awfull cos of the conditions she was in and once last summer when she rolled around in cow crap :angry:

If it weren't for those two unavoidable situations the answer would be NEVER.

I only bath her completely towards the end of her blowing her coat to get rid of a lot of the hair :)

Or before we go to a fun dog show, I'll wash her paws to make sure they match the rest of her white coat lol!

Lol, the paws are always the dirtiest  :P

I suppose it possibly depends on what you were brought up with in terms of pet care. I actually had someone tell me it was okay to wash Huskies every week which I would never do. 

I have bathed Hurley twice since I got her, both because she rolled in the mud during a rain shower. As Hurley has dry skin, I would prefer never to have to, but in a bad situation where she gets nasty dirty, that would be the only time i bathe her. She spends enough time grooming herself.

I've bathed Yuki twice. Once when she had rolled in mud and was /dripping/ wet, so I just rinsed her off and didnt use shampoo, and then once after we went hiking and she rolled in something that smelled horrible and she still smelled rancid after the hour drive home so I had to give her a full bath then xD

twice a year to help the shedding proccess and it help alot with the good brush session very often and of course whenever we have some stinky experience cause of course nanook reach for it every single time such as deer poo or any other smelly crap she can roll herself in, there goes for emergency bathing ahhaha

I don't give Luka full out baths but he gets muddy ALL the time so i rinse off his feet in the tub without Shampoo. lol It keeps my house and furniture from having little muddy pawprints yet doesn't damage his coat. He only gets a fullout bath if he like rolled in poop or something as gross as that is. haha

Since we have had Balto which is only 2 months we have had to do him twice. The first time was because since we rescued him he was covered in fleas so we had to give him a flea bath and then put flea medicine on him, the other time was when we went for a walk after it rained out at his mom's farm and he got extremely muddy. Other then that we do not bath him at all

Skye had quite a few when I first got her she smelt awful! Shadow hasn't had one for a long long time they both self clean. Ohh Skye does like to roll in dead things and fox poo so she will have a bath then lol

Chula has had three baths - one the night we got her because she must have been stepping/rolling in poo before we picked her up, it wasn't much of a bath though since she was scared we just wanted to get the stink off her. Then she got one with Dawn when we found a flea. And unfortunately last week she had to have a bath because she got sick in her crate in the afternoon while we were gone and was covered in her own diarrhea. 

She's getting kinda stinky again but I don't really want to bathe her. She has a tendency to roll in stuff and we've had so much rain that the grass/ground is all dirty and nastiness. 

Except for the time we used Dawn for the fleas, I use an oatmeal shampoo I got at Petsmart.

oh yeah nanook too, for sure she always find a dead animal somewhere during hiking that she absolutely must roll herself into, super gross and im not telling you the smell after that... too bad for the coat, the dead animal odor just kill me

Since getting Togo who is 5 next month. They've all had one bath which was last may. I did them specifically because they were going to my gdaughters bday and wanted them smelly clean fluffy an white white bits. There were a lot of people we wanted to make a good impression on lol. Needless to say on occasion they were complete loons so I may as well have not bothered lol