Must Change Eating Schedule!

Chula

Chula has now figured out that she gets to eat when she gets out of her crate in the morning...so she's started deciding that she wants out earlier and earlier. She's driving us batty! It isn't so bad when OH is getting up to go to work anyway, but on his rare days off, I'd rather not be woken up at 5:30 by a whining puppy!

When does your dog get his/her first meal of the day, and how much activity happens prior to munching?

Balto gets his first meal at about 8 sometimes 830. Usually he is let out of his cage so he can run around the house and find his bone that he buried last night for the day. Then after I get dressed I feed him and then we go outside and then we play or go for a walk or both and then I leave. It sounds like Chula thinks she has you trained. If she whines to be let out you do and you feed her, so just keep ignoring her. It is really hard to do and sometimes that most annoying thing EVER but if you keep giving in to her she will just whining to be let out and fed. We have to ignore Balto all the time, at night he will whine if the cat is in our room and he wants out to chase her and we have made the mistake of letting him out because we thought he needed to potty but instead chased the cat down. So now when we whine we check to see if the cat is in the bedroom and if so we ignore him.

I had the same problem to start with, so now I feed Lunar AFTER my kids finish their breakfast, which is usually around 8 am. This way she knows it will not be immediately after leaving the crate and she knows her place in the pack:)

I can't really let her whine forever because we are in a townhouse and our bedroom shares a wall with our neighbor (who unfortunately is home 24/7). But I think I will have OH just take her out to potty and let her wait for her food. She just started this whining business this week, otherwise she would stay in her crate without whining until we let her out. 

Initially we did it this way because otherwise he never is home to feed her, and she has a bit of food guarding going on - more with him than with me. The goal was for him to spend some time working on that with her. But seriously, being whined at on a Sunday morning at 5:30 am is NOT COOL. At her age does she still need three meals?

Perhaps one of you will need to get up at 5.30 when she starts whining and just play with her or keep her busy otherwise, then feed her after certain time. Hopefully she will learn quickly and you will be able to make her stay in her crate longer.

Well he is up by 5:45 anyway 6 days a week, so he will be up with her anyway, and I usually get up right after he brings her back in from her potty time. We gotta try it, because she has obviously made the connection that morning - out of crate = FOOD.

I was thinking about what you wrote again and I think I gave you a bit risky advice. Because we don't know for sure why she whines-maybe it's because she just wants to go out of the crate? If so, you can make it worse by responding to it. There is no other way, I am afraid, than let her whine:(

I was thinking about what you wrote again and I think I gave you a bit risky advice. Because we don't know for sure why she whines-maybe it's because she just wants to go out of the crate? If so, you can make it worse by responding to it. There is no other way, I am afraid, than let her whine:(

She is definitely whining because she wants food. When we let her out she races towards the kitchen. If no one follows her she will come back and bark at OH as he's getting dressed. For a puppy who made pretty much NO noise her first two weeks, she sure is loud now.

We have a regular routine too.  At 6am we get up, they potty then eat.  Like clockwork Yukon will start stirring around 6 no matter what day of the week it is.  SOMETIMES he will let me sleep an extra hour on weekends, but not usually.  He sleeps in bed with me so he doesn't whine, just gives me the hint that it's time to eat. 

What I do is just get up with them, let them potty and eat, then we go back to bed until about 9. 

And Yukon is 8 months old and I am still feeding him 4x per day because if his tummy gets empty he will throw up.  I took Nikko down from 3 to 2 meals per day when he was about 6 months old

We have a regular routine too.  At 6am we get up, they potty then eat.  Like clockwork Yukon will start stirring around 6 no matter what day of the week it is.  SOMETIMES he will let me sleep an extra hour on weekends, but not usually.  He sleeps in bed with me so he doesn't whine, just gives me the hint that it's time to eat. 

What I do is just get up with them, let them potty and eat, then we go back to bed until about 9. 

And Yukon is 8 months old and I am still feeding him 4x per day because if his tummy gets empty he will throw up.  I took Nikko down from 3 to 2 meals per day when he was about 6 months old

Chula would look at me like I was nuts, and then bite my leg, if I told her it was time to go back to bed :)