Husky Humping Toy

CARRINGTON

So Balto has had this giant whinnie the pooh stuffed bear for about a month now and he has never humped it before in his life, usually he just attacks it and tries to destroy it. Well last night my fiance noticed that Balto was starting to hump his toy. He has never humped us or another person or any other toy. He is 4 months and is fixed. Should we be concerned? Is this normal?

Humping is not sexual, it's a dominance thing.  both mine are neutered and have been since they were 4 months old and they hump each other all the time.  I just let them be, because they will usually sort it out, but I won't let them do it to other dogs

Calvin did that a few times when he was younger to one of his toys. He always did it in front of guest so finally I just took the toy out from under him and bopped him on the head with it. He's done it to me a few times too and normally with him a no and a pop on his rear gets him to realize that's a big no no.

I am ok with him humping his toys but NOT other dogs or people which he has not done yet (thank goodness), but my fiance is extremely worried that if he is humping his toy now that he will next go to people and other dogs.

luka humps things and he's never humped me. like i said i only discourage it if we're at the dog park and he attempts it

My little dog only humps stuffed animals when new people come in the house [or even when we go to their house...he don't care]...if you think you have it bad, he runs up to them with toy while they are sitting on couch and JUST as they reach for or grab it, he hops on and goes for a ride. :monkeydance: He does not do this with me, ever...but I have established pack leader. The ONLY time I've seen him do it when it's just me here, is when I'm on the phone talking to someone...then, he has to come show the person on the phone who's king.   

Humpings normal, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with it when it's not appropriate...I simply take the toy away during these times, such as when he's doing it way too much to company [esp non family/friends. :angry2:]. My dog doesn't hump other dogs though [he's probably too small, though I'm surprised he has hopped on their heads and gone for it like a cowboy in a rodeo] so no advice how to correct it there. lol

i just tell Luka No in a stern voice. Occasionally I have to pull him with his harness and get him focused on something else. lol

I only watch out for it because it can lead to dog fights with dominant dogs. I've seen it happen multiple times.

The only thing Suka humps is other dogs. If the other owner and dog aren't cool with it, I always pull him off...but if they are (I ask them or they say something when I go to pull him off) and if their dog doesn't mind then I let it happen. I notice he does it out of play sometimes too.

If anybody cares to read a little article, I posted one a while back which explains humping and how it is a normal behaviour. But you can still correct if if you don't like it.

www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42769-humping-why-do-they-do-it

my 3 do it amongst each other just whilst they're playing it never lasts longer than a few seconds though as one or the other changes position and bounces around the place - if they ever do it to another dog i stop them straight away, i know my own dogs and what they will tollerate and what they won't but i don't necessarily know how another dog would react - plus i think it's bad manners but then again my boys have no manners  :unsure:

my 3 do it amongst each other just whilst they're playing it never lasts longer than a few seconds though as one or the other changes position and bounces around the place - if they ever do it to another dog i stop them straight away, i know my own dogs and what they will tollerate and what they won't but i don't necessarily know how another dog would react - plus i think it's bad manners but then again my boys have no manners  :unsure:

Yours love nothing more than to hump my shadow lmao he just stands there and growls!