Toddlers...help!

Keanu

Dear all mums and dads, I am absolutely worn out with my toddler son, he is worse than. Bunch of naughty huskies alltogether in one small room, he wears me out, he doesnt want to hold my hand whilst crossing the road, he has plenty of paddies whilst walking, he screams, he throws himself on the ground, he makes my neighbours laugh at me...I swear, I prefer to deal with a whole pack of husky pups than with him... Does it get better at all??! :(

have you tried clicker training?  :rofl:

My brother was the same, had my mum in tears many a time but yes he did get better (though always had his moments), now he's a hormonal, stroppy teen!

I have all this to look forward to! 

oh I remember that...what I did was copy cat my son in the store...alright people looked at me thinking I had gone crazy but it did stop LOLOL

did the same with tantrums where ever he had one...

oh sounds like my son when he was lil lol not easy, i used to have a bag of treats just lil things mostly fruit when we went out lol just like i do with the dogs now.

As for his tantrums one day i threw my self on the floor kicking and screaming them pretending to cry, i did this a few times lol he got so upset he stopped.

Also instead of active games that made him hyper we did mind games whee he had to think, they tired him out more or board him to death lol

I feel for you so much. Josh wasn't quite as bad, but he's going through a real testing time at the moment (just turned 5). He just will not listen at all and we can't figure out what his trigger is for punishment. He just doesn't care, will be put in the naughty corner anything up to 10 times in a day but doesn't change his behaviour. You wouldn't think it looking at him!!! Butter wouldn't melt! And he's generally a good kid, and sweet but if he doesn't get his own way then boy watch out!

Not really got any advice. It does get better but then they try it on in a different way (not helpful, sorry). Have you tried reward charts (I mean for more than just a week - we tried it before but gave up after a week or so cos it didn't work) - I've just devised a new chart system and I'm going to try it out for at least a month and see whether it helps. I'm literally at the end of my tether with him right now so it better work or god knows what we're going to do - I'll have a nervous breakdown I think as I'm not good at dealing with his bad behaviour.

I hope it gets better for you soon. It's not fun :(

for safety I would use baby reins when out that way he can't run off. I use them for a little boy I work with. There also litlle backpackes with a 'lead' attached. With my own son whenever he had a tantrum when out shopping I just picked him up took him straight back to the car then back home.-he only did it once. The only other thing I can suggest is to try one of the road safety awareness programmes which have videos, stickers and books to read with him.

It does get better. At 1-2 years old children have minds that run much faster than their verbal ability and it can get very frustrating, they also are learning boundaries by pushing things to see what they can get away with. This coupled with their yet to emerge sense of emotional control can be a recipe for disaster! The best thing you can do is be consistent, try to ignore the tantrums where you can, I appreciate that's very hard sometimes but if a Childs screaming for sweets and is then rewarded with them what you end up with is a repeat performance the next time. Someone once said to me "pick your battles" and so I did. I decided what rules really mattered to me and what rules didn't so much. The end result being less confrontations overall although there were still plenty with my youngest on a daily basis.

Wait till he's able to speak and he sees all those unneeded things in shops and then when he's a teenager. I'd like more husky pups too and am really considering to have just them.

Good luck, oh and since we're a dog forum, try some mental games/stimulation with him. Hide his toys and so on, if he asks for something always put it in the other hand of yours behind his back... Just don't give in.

And if your neighbours laugh - either they have been there or they have yet to try what children can be like. Once you're at your limit, just do what he does to you, if he wants to hold you, back away. If he screams, scream louder (with no people around). If he wakes you, well how will he like you waking him up? I'm kidding with the last one, I understand you want him to be sleeping and leaving you in peace as much as it's possible.

Don't give in. Allow time for him to paddy so you can stand there without reacting an wait till he's done. He knows he's getting what he wants which is why he's doing it. He can manipulate you with his behaviour. You're embarrassed so will do anything to stop it sooner which is what he's switched on to. Make sure he wears baby reigns when you're out an about so if he ends up on the floor you still have hold.

You need to be strong and its terribly hard. A week of not giving in will show its rewards. If he paddies at home walk away till he calms. Go do something you know he's interested in he'll get bored of paddying (vecause hes no longer getting the reacton he wants)and come see what you're doing but he can only do what you're doing if he asks nicely and sits properly, you set the rules. Take back control now while he's just a little one. People vastly underestimate the intelligence of little ones. They see a chink in your armour and exploit your love ( you want him to be happy so give him what he wants when he paddies) its quite normal lol

Be prepared to carry a threat through. If he's asked to do something and doesn't and you warned him he would lose something. Take it away. It'll only happen a few times before he gets the message. For example.. If he won't hold your hand to cross the road, tell him you'll carry him like a baby. And ask does he want to be a big boy or a baby? Or does he want to be a baby in a pram? You could also say ( if its possible) unless he holds your hand then you can't take him to play group. Bit of nilf for children

It's really not easy at first but will become better soon if you stick to your guns. But you must stick to your guns

Good luck :)

oh I remember that...what I did was copy cat my son in the store...alright people looked at me thinking I had gone crazy but it did stop LOLOL

did the same with tantrums where ever he had one...

My Niece did the same thing with her son when he threw screaming tantrums while out she'd do the same thing.

He would stop and then be trying to "shush" her, looking around at people all embarrassed.

However I appreciate you can't do that in the middle of the road.

Good luck