Starvation Syndrome

Removed #5

Okay, I'm out of my comfort zone and need some suggestions.

As I've been running back and forth to the hospital for cataract surgery, I've left the dogs at the vets in Alpine.  They get a free, quick health check and weighed.  Sasha has gone from 50 pounds last fall to almost 65 now.  When I took her in last time, about a month ago, she weighed in at 60 pounds so I took her off free feed and started cutting back on her food. She's now down to a cup a day - which she often just isn't interested in eating till late in the day - and is losing no weight.

There's a goodly layer of, what appears to be fat, over her ribs and stomach ...

Someone recently made a comment about cutting a dogs food back too severely because it results in starvation <???>.

I can't find the thread, nor do I have any real idea what I'm asking about ... comments, suggestions.

(( and no, she's not getting all the exercise she (and I) need, I'm waiting for it to get a bit warmer before we go back to our long walks.  She's now getting about 1/2 hour in the evening and a short "piss stop" in the morning. ))

I can't really offer you any advice as I only understand the metabolism of humans, not dogs and Huskies are quite different in how their metabolism works in comparison to other dogs.

They are able to slow their metabolism down if the energy doesn't meet their needs so that could be one reason why it is difficult for her to lose weight.

Though they are also said to be able to increase their metabolism when needed so if she still isn't losing weight then either she is healthy or I would think that their was a medical issue.

I think it would be best to ask a vet and if your still out of luck try switching things around a bit such as more exercise, a different type of food, feeding twice a day etc..

It has been said to help the human metabolism though I really don't know a lot about dogs sorry.

Hope you get some better answers.  :)

I only know how this works in humans, it's basically a starvation mode, where your body will hold onto fat during times when you are not getting enough food...it is a survival mechanism. You can gain weight, regardless of being on a low calorie diet. It actually happened to me, as I picked up a horrible problem from my ex [we never had money, never had food so I didn't eat enough, about 4-900 cals a day-way too low] of not eating enough. After we split ways, I got a job where I could afford to eat and without even trying, I lost around 150 pounds. People started to notice at the 50-70 pound mark...I hadn't even noticed and was just as surprised. Not one person believed me that all I did was increase my food intake...in fact, they would rather believe it was diabetes or cancer, as many suggested to me. Even after I told them I visited with doctor and was checked out, and doctor CONFIRMED not eating enough will result in weight gain...they STILL insisted I had some diet secret or disease. 

It makes sense animals would have this survival gene just as much as us, but that's just my opinion...I can't confirm it's fact. Know this probably isn't real helpful, but it's all I got. :) I hope you get the answers you are looking for and get this worked out for her soon.

Add: I forgot to mention, as well as excersize, it also helps to have smaller more frequent meals in these cases too. Again, assuming it's the same for dogs as it is for humans. Talking to a vet would probably be a good idea, and that way you can rule out if it's a medical problem or not. 

(Good job on losing all that weight, Apryl!) 

And I agree, it makes sense animals would have this survival adaptation too. Although you don't see fat animals in the wild as much, do you? But this is getting a  bit off topic so I'll stop...

As for dogs, I know Suka (and a few other dogs) will eat so much, if allowed, they will throw up. This is because, as a layover from wolves, they will eat as much as they can because they don't know when their next meal will be. 

I'm guessing she's getting chubby because she isn't exercising nearly as much as she should, so her body is storing all those extra calories she would normally use for exercise, into fat. This works for people too, actually, but again...getting off topic...

I know when I didn't exercise Suka for 2 months (long story...), even though I had cut his food down to a cup a day...he would still gain a lot of weight. At one point, he got up to 88 pounds (from 76)...which is what I think accelerated the rate of his arthritis. So, I decided to train him on a treadmill, and while he doesn't use it as often as he should, its better than no exercise at all during those crappy days. 

Now, while Suka is only exercising 50ish minutes a day (any longer that that, and he has more arthritic flareups. :( ), he gets 1.5 cups of food...and he's doing fine on it...maintaining his healthy weight (75-76 pounds). On the rare days he goes to the dog park and runs around for hours, I give him half a cup of extra food to replace the calories he lost during the run. 

It makes sense animals (as well as people) would store extra calories and wouldn't waste them - its a simple survival mechanism. Although sometimes I wonder what my body is doing to mine...not to brag or anything but I can eat a whole tub of ice cream in a day (had a really bad day...LOL), and not see a pound.

(Good job on losing all that weight, Apryl!) 

And I agree, it makes sense animals would have this survival adaptation too. Although you don't see fat animals in the wild as much, do you? But this is getting a  bit off topic so I'll stop...

As for dogs, I know Suka (and a few other dogs) will eat so much, if allowed, they will throw up. This is because, as a layover from wolves, they will eat as much as they can because they don't know when their next meal will be. 

I'm guessing she's getting chubby because she isn't exercising nearly as much as she should, so her body is storing all those extra calories she would normally use for exercise, into fat. This works for people too, actually, but again...getting off topic...

I know when I didn't exercise Suka for 2 months (long story...), even though I had cut his food down to a cup a day...he would still gain a lot of weight. At one point, he got up to 88 pounds (from 76)...which is what I think accelerated the rate of his arthritis. So, I decided to train him on a treadmill, and while he doesn't use it as often as he should, its better than no exercise at all during those crappy days. 

Now, while Suka is only exercising 50ish minutes a day (any longer that that, and he has more arthritic flareups. :( ), he gets 1.5 cups of food...and he's doing fine on it...maintaining his healthy weight (75-76 pounds). On the rare days he goes to the dog park and runs around for hours, I give him half a cup of extra food to replace the calories he lost during the run. 

It makes sense animals (as well as people) would store extra calories and wouldn't waste them - its a simple survival mechanism. Although sometimes I wonder what my body is doing to mine...not to brag or anything but I can eat a whole tub of ice cream in a day (had a really bad day...LOL), and not see a pound.

My theory on why you don't see overweight animals in the wild is because they are actually USING their reserves, where in cases of people...and I can only speak for myself as fact...don't excersize, so your body is just hanging onto those reserves until needed. Animals such as the wolf would be out on the move looking for food and getting excersize, using up their reserves. It's like 'giving you more time,' a animal or human will eventually run out of reserve and die if food is not found [obviously]. Anyhow just had to toss that in, as I do find the subject interesting. :)

As for being able to eat a whole tub of ice cream in a day and not see a pound Solitary...I hate you. lol I AM kidding, but I am def jealous. ;)

My theory on why you don't see overweight animals in the wild is because they are actually USING their reserves, where in cases of people...and I can only speak for myself as fact...don't excersize, so your body is just hanging onto those reserves until needed. Animals such as the wolf would be out on the move looking for food and getting excersize, using up their reserves. It's like 'giving you more time,' a animal or human will eventually run out of reserve and die if food is not found [obviously]. Anyhow just had to toss that in, as I do find the subject interesting. :)

As for being able to eat a whole tub of ice cream in a day and not see a pound Solitary...I hate you. lol I AM kidding, but I am def jealous. ;)

That subject interests me too, which is why I stopped myself before I launched into essay mode! lol