Thinking Of Another Husky

CARRINGTON

So we saw another husky today at petsmart when we volunteered at an adoption event and fell in love. We already have Balto and although there are days I think I could give him to the first person that asked I am secretly addicted to them and I think it would be good for Balto to have a play mate that isn't the cat. We are wanting to wait until Balto is a little older and knows a few more commands, possible passing AKC star puppy class and advancing through two more classes. We also have to wait until we move from our duplex since we are only allowed to have two animals anyways. They are just such a beautiful breed and once you understand them and adjust your life to them also using NILIF it becomes easier not perfect but easier, we also want to adopt a pitbull as well. Of course we do not really want to buy but hopefully rescue. What does everyone else think?

If it's something you want to do and plan on waiting for the best possible time to get another dog then I can't see why not,

if you can afford the cost.

Btw, we have three dogs despite the local department of housing only allowing two, lol  :bananadance1:

I got my second husky when Nikko was 9 months old and after he went through all 3 training classes. My plan was him to pass his canine good citizenship award but he failed his first test and right after we got Yukon. A month later Nikko passed. So I would suggest waiting until Balto is where you want him in training before u get another one Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my second husky when Nikko was 9 months old and after he went through all 3 training classes. My plan was him to pass his canine good citizenship award but he failed his first test and right after we got Yukon. A month later Nikko passed. So I would suggest waiting until Balto is where you want him in training before u get another one Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is for sure what we are planning on doing. I am pretty sure I would pull out my hair trying to train two dogs from the start. However, it is good practice for kids (I seem to think that kids are a lot easier and that is what many people tell me)

I know what you mean lol. I started looking for a second husky when Nikko was 6 month old and in his intermediate classes. It took a lot of restraint to wait!!! I really wanted a pure white husky so I decided on getting another puppy so the timing worked out for me. I was worried about Nikko regressing with his training but he actually became much more behaved! It helps out a lot with them Wearing each other out! And keeps them out of trouble for the most part Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having followed your posts since you joining, you've had a serious amount of adjustment to make. Struggled with a few, managed others fine. Torn your hair out, been brought to tears but also laughed your socks off on occasion.

No one can tell you whether or not you can or can't add to your family. But I would suggest as tempting as it seems, postpone the idea for a little while longer and just enjoy the fruits of you labour. As much as I love having my four, sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to stick to one. You've worked so hard, bask in the glow of your success before upsetting the apple cart lol

We want Balto to be where we want him to be training wise before we get another dog husky or not and possibly a year old or more. Right now we do not want another dog or cat or anything but as he gets older and is better trained we may think about getting another dog. However, no matter what kind of dog we get it is going to be a rescue. Rescue huskies are not common around here but we are fine adopting any type of dog as long as they get along.

I took Chula for a play date on Saturday, and she was so exhausted afterwards even I considered getting another dog just so she'd have someone to wear her out!

But it's also expensive, and time consuming. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on crates, food, toys, vet bills, etc and that's just for one dog that I've only had for a month a half, and who hasn't had any major issues and who potty trained pretty quickly. I've had to leave work early, miss days entirely, and operate on very little sleep.

Obviously a lot of people have more than one dog and are successful and have happy, well-adjusted pups. I know I am not ready to even begin thinking seriously about it, and from what I've heard the teen years can be hard! 

I'd wait until Balto is older IMO. We rescued our pitbull a few months ago and Luka was well over 6 months. I love Knox and he's great but its exhausting having two puppies still basically. Remember, Balto will still be a "puppy" even up to a year old.

We want Balto to be where we want him to be training wise before we get another dog husky or not and possibly a year old or more.

Just wanted to point out that she's already said shes going to wait until Balto has passed his training and is older before adding :) I think its a lovely idea, good luck with the rest of training and hope to see pics of the new addition here in a few months :)