Buy A Shotgun!

Removed #5

Sounds like your vice president is as big an idiot as our deputy prime minister,  Great video btw

I completely agree. I personally do not feel that anyone should own a gun unless they know what they are doing. To tell the women of our country to buy a shotgun is straight retarded. To say that a shotgun is easier to shoot than and assault rifle is ludicrous. Giving people with no training a high powered shotgun is just an invitation for injuries or death.

I'm a military veteran with vast weapons training, which is why I am comfortable with firearms.

I completely agree. I personally do not feel that anyone should own a gun unless they know what they are doing. To tell the women of our country to buy a shotgun is straight retarded. To say that a shotgun is easier to shoot than and assault rifle is ludicrous. Giving people with no training a high powered shotgun is just an invitation for injuries or death.

I'm a military veteran with vast weapons training, which is why I am comfortable with firearms.

This. People that don't shoot don't really understand the difference in power btwn 5.56NATO, and a 3" twelve gauge slug. Assault rifles have pretty weak recoil compared to some shotgun loads.

I own that same maverick 88, but without the stock set and pistol grip you have on it. I'm 220 lbs and if I'm shooting powerful loads out of it, I might shoot 10 to 15 shells before my shoulder gets bruised. Now, my assault rifles, I can shoot all day and don't even feel.

LOL - even though I don't think I've actually SEEN a gun in real life before (besides on cops in their holster) - even I know that's bad advice! I play enough hunting games/simulations to know a shotgun has a huge recoil compared to other weapons.

And LOL - I would totally be one of those girls screaming and jerking away when the thing went off, haha!

And Ada ... I never knew you were in the military! I have great respect for those that go, they have bravery and courage...things I know not of!

I own that same maverick 88, but without the stock set and pistol grip you have on it. I'm 220 lbs and if I'm shooting powerful loads out of it, I might shoot 10 to 15 shells before my shoulder gets bruised. Now, my assault rifles, I can shoot all day and don't even feel.

Oh yes, I would take the AR15, M16, and even the M249 saw over a shotgun anyday. The shotgun is my feel good weapon if anyone ever breaks in. I know I can handle a couple of shots out of it, and lets face it, if you break into a house and someone greets you with that, are you going to stick around?

LOL - even though I don't think I've actually SEEN a gun in real life before (besides on cops in their holster) - even I know that's bad advice! I play enough hunting games/simulations to know a shotgun has a huge recoil compared to other weapons.

And LOL - I would totally be one of those girls screaming and jerking away when the thing went off, haha!

And Ada ... I never knew you were in the military! I have great respect for those that go, they have bravery and courage...things I know not of!

Is it common in other countries to have never seen a gun?

Oh yes, I would take the AR15, M16, and even the M249 saw over a shotgun anyday. The shotgun is my feel good weapon if anyone ever breaks in. I know I can handle a couple of shots out of it, and lets face it, if you break into a house and someone greets you with that, are you going to stick around?

My assault rifles are in a display case. My mav 88 is loaded next to my bed.

My husband showed me this video the other day. I've never had any problems shutting any sort of gun. And I've shot many...AK-47, shotguns, AR15s, handguns. I've always been able to figure out the best way to hold a gun before even shooting it. And I've only had one gun make me loose my balance...even then all I did was tip backwards a bit lol.

My assault rifles are in a display case. My mav 88 is loaded next to my bed.

Not sure in other countries, but here we have strict gun laws. And our culture is completely different - we feel we don't need a gun to protect ourselves. But I don't want to bring up the gun debate, so I'll just say different strokes for different folks. :)

The videos pretty funny lol. Love the reactions!

In all seriousness though, I know a lot of people (even in TEXAS, the crazy cowboy gun toters!) that would honestly give this advice to to combat a home intrusion. My father's a military vet and retired cop and still tells his fiancee to pick up the shotgun in an emergency. Why? Because of the spray, lack of aim needed, and intimidation. All my to-be step mother would have to do is point the gun outside the bedroom door and shoot - no need to look and aim or expose herself to do so. Or just shoot through the door, really lol. Of course training always helps :)

I personally have a small revolver for protection (concealed carry and home); I don't really see the need for an assault rifle for personal defense. That said, if someone actually broke in, I doubt my first thought would be to grab the darn thing. I'd be making sure the dog doesn't run out the door lol...  :facepalm:

We only talk about guns when we talk about the US actually. Otherwise it's 'out of my sight, out of my life' for me.

Not wanting to start a guns debat but just to give you bit of an insight of how (West-)Europe generally things about this: Showing off your guns, displaying them, etc, is mostly seen as flaunt which is why only people from the US replied to this thread. People that have a license to carry guns but show them off in public will be extremely frowned upon, to say the least. Now I understand it's seen totally differently in the US and I totally respect your opinions, but just keep that in mind the next time you post about (your) guns on a UK forum :)

People should not own guns INLESS they know how to use them or they will only get them and themselves hurt..I thought everyone knew how bad a shotgun kicks it knocks me on my butt when I shot our twelve gage (im only 96 pounds :-)) But then again I have been raised around guns my whole life these people apparently not!

I don't think this topic was ever started to create a "gun debate" between countries. Sometimes I feel like everyone challenges ideas that they aren't accustomed to. I think one of the best things about this forum is that we can learn things from different cultures as there are members from all over the place.

We only talk about guns when we talk about the US actually. Otherwise it's 'out of my sight, out of my life' for me.

Not wanting to start a guns debat but just to give you bit of an insight of how (West-)Europe generally things about this: Showing off your guns, displaying them, etc, is mostly seen as flaunt which is why only people from the US replied to this thread. People that have a license to carry guns but show them off in public will be extremely frowned upon, to say the least. Now I understand it's seen totally differently in the US and I totally respect your opinions, but just keep that in mind the next time you post about (your) guns on a UK forum :)

I understand your point, but  as this forum isn't associated with my address, I don't really feel it as a public thing, just a picture. If someone were to walk into my house right now, they would never know there are guns in my house. I don't advertise that fact to the general public in my area. But, as the apartment across from mine was broken into 2 weeks ago, and living on the second floor leaves me no escape, I like to have a little "piece of mind" to greet them with in an emergency.

In the future though, when I have the trained protection dog that I long for, I would much more less likely to use a firearm in defense. That being said, I hope I NEVER have to pull any firearm out in my home.

But then again, where I am living, this is what I am up against: http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/missouri/st-louis.html#.UToTufJmJVg

Thanks for the info. I was just curious about other countries. When solitaryhowl said that it got me thinking about the differences in the US vs other countries. There are certainly people in the US that have never seen a gun, but I was curious if it was the norm or not in other places.

To your point about people from the US responding to this thread:

1) the thread was started about the vice president of the US.

2) since other countries don't have as many guns as us, the citizens probably know less about them. If there was a thread about knitting, I wouldn't reply bc I don't know the first thing about it. So, it's to be expected that those more interested in firearms reply to a thread about firearms. It's also expected that those living in the US are more likely interested in them, since ownership is much easier. With those two statements in mind, it's easy to see why those in the US reply to gun threads more frequently.

2) since other countries don't have as many guns as us, the citizens probably know less about them. If there was a thread about knitting, I wouldn't reply bc I don't know the first thing about it. So, it's to be expected that those more interested in firearms reply to a thread about firearms. It's also expected that those living in the US are more likely interested in them, since ownership is much easier. With those two statements in mind, it's easy to see why those in the US reply to gun threads more frequently.

If you ever visit Europe: Rule number one: Don't talk about guns. It will get you in a very nasty anti-US debate that keeps getting refuelled by shooting incidents that appear in our news. Sad but true :( It's not that people don't care, it's the total opposite. It's a lot of us versus them. I'm glad to see this discussions on here usually stay quite nice (I love getting a different perspective on this). On other sites, including our own news, that's often fairly rare.