Baltos First Outing And I Am Concerned

CARRINGTON

We took Balto to petsmart today for his first time and he did ok except another dog came to play and the owner was ok with it. Well Balto then pulled out the other puppies hair and drew blood, the owner didn't get angry but it really embarrassed us. He has never done anything like that. Should we be concerned? Is there anything we can do?

When you say drew blood, how much?  I am guessing it wasn't gushing.  I would think it was playing rough too.  Yesterday my two were at it and I saw Nikko was bleeding near his eye.  Yukon must have nipped him when they were playing.  Husky play looks a lot worse than it is

I didn't even think of that!  It happened at one of our training classes, when it was play time Nikko was rough housing with a great dane and the great dane started bleeding, but he just lost a molar.  Blood was everywhere!

Was it definitely blood from the other dog? As his age he'll be teething. When any of mine have been teething they would always leave blood marks when playing, but it was from their own gums.

It was from the other dog he pulled the other dogs hair out and caused it too bleed. It wasn't gushing but just bleeding some from him.

Did he physically bite the other pup? Did you see what was the trigger?

Yes he bit the pup and when we went to separate them because he was biting the other dog on the neck he took hair with him and blood came. We separated because the other pup was whining. As for the trigger we have no clue he was on the leash and they were playing both were and then he grabbed the neck and wouldn't let go.

My two play like that.  Nikko grabs Yukon by the neck and shakes him, I have only had to break them up a couple times because it got out of hand, but they try to see whos alpha all the time!

I would just keep an eye on him when he is out in public since he tends to play rough.  I have to watch Nikko because he can be a little much

As long as it is play I am ok with that and I will have to watch him with other dogs. At puppy class he sometimes plays rough but most of the other owners are ok with it, plus there is a dog who is half his size who beats Balto up every time.