Maxx Has Developed A Limp

Maxx (4mnths) has started limping with his rear right leg, it only happens when he gets up from laying down for a whole or sleeping and disappears after a few steps.

His not crying or making any other indication that it hurts just limps and like I said it goes after a few steps.

It defiantly does not effect his running! Or playing.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Both of mine had an occasional limp before, usually if they were out playing a lot or at a dog park or something, maybe it is a pulled muscle or something.  If they continue to limp or whine like it hurts then I would talk to your vet to make sure nothings broken.  Anytime it has happened to my two, they start walking normal in a day or so.

I think if it has been like that for a week maybe you should take him to see the vet. Micah has HD, and is stiff at times and has a slight limp when she gets up, but when she plays or chases after something, you would never think she is in any pain.

They are very much a 'mind over matter' breed and seem to be mentally stronger than most other breeds I have come across, so when they display any signs of discomfort or pain, I would worry too because they carry on as if nothing can or must get in the way of FUN so they tend to ignore pain or discomfort which can worsen any problem they may have.

Good luck, and let us know how he is doing.

Hi!

Does Maxx sleep on a hard surface? If he's a deep sleeper and sleeps on hard surfaces it may be just a matter of the nerves in the limb "going to sleep" like it does with us if we sit too long in one position and a foot or leg goes numb. If he/she is on a hard surface, try putting a blanket, towel or pillow under Maxx cushioning the area will ease the pressure and permit ease of circulation. If Maxx is on a soft surface it's probably positional and as he/she grows Maxx will learn to position self and the stiffness will disappear. I've seen this with my Huskies it's a part of growing up! If it does persist and Maxx starts to register real pain, don't wait get to the vet! Hope this helps. All the best with the Baby!!

Fr. Carmen OFM  :)

If its been going on for a week (and he sleeps the same, and in the same location as he did before), then I would go to the vet. My boy, even though he's much older than yours, sometimes has trouble getting up when he's been lying down too often, and has a very slight limp all the time. The vet said it was arthritis but it very well could develop into HD. He doesn't show any signs of pain (except when he's in a flare up), other than the slight limping - if you're not looking for it you can easily miss it!

I wouldn't wait to get him checked out - puppies can get HD too.

• 1 month later...