Bolting Out Front Door

myka

Before you take her out make her sit and wait (if she does not know those two commands you may want to teach her them) as soon as you open the door keep the lead kind of short and she goes to bolt say ah ah and pull on her leash so she cannot go anywhere and have her sit and wait again. It may take you several times to understand this because up until now she has been able to bolt out the door. So have her sit and wait until you give her the release to go out the door. Also look up NILIF on google they really help you out on this and many other aspects as well.

I may be wrong but the way I'm reading this you haven't got her on a lead when you open the door. If this is right you must always keep her on a lead. If it is that someone is walking in the house and she is escaping, then people must be aware that the dog will run if she see's an open door. My dogs are all kept behind secondary doors or safety gates. The front door cannot be opened unless these doors are closed and the dogs are behind them. Another security measure is that the front door stays locked. It may seem a bit extreme but these are highly intelligent dogs and do work out how to open doors. Always remember that huskies love to run and if they see an open space they normally will, and not come back.

Gary.

Training is fantastic, however the lure of the big open space outside is very tempting.

Which is why we (and many others) have child or pet stairgates fitted for whenever we have to open the front door.

yes tiy the lead to back door with dog on end before you open front door and when you think dog gets the message thay jump out of bathroom window on first floor  or depending on how tired thay or through NEW carport roof to the delight of the local dog warden :rofl:  and rspca   can you guess yet i am still workin on it and eldest is 4 :D

When I have to open the front door I have my dogs in the back patio so try can't bolt or ill have them on a lead. I don't trust that they will listen when someone comes over like the pizza guy,etc Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are good, they know they can't go out the door unless its for a walk. They are told to wait while I open it for guests and the post. Also when I put the rubbish out.

Last week I was so proud, I went next door to ask if they had jump leads. The daughter opened the door an inch with their two poodles going ape behind her. Her dad came to the door an was having his tea. So I said I'd come back later. He came round an knocked at ours. I told mine to get back an wait. Then opened the door with them all sitting in the hall while he handed them over

It's no different to teaching them to wait while you put their dinner down. Make them sit an wait/stay. Begin opening the door, if they move close the door

Like some others, mine is good and doesn't bolt out...but just in case I always make sure he's attached to something before I open the door.

Huskies like to run and are naturally escape artists - I don't think that's something you can train out of them?

the last 3 days i have been working with luna to sit and stay, playing with the doorbell and knocking on the door, also teaching her "in the house" SHE is doing great, i think with persistant training i can keep her from bolting, or at least to come back if she does,