Allergies

Chula

Last night after playing with Chula, OH's eye got swollen, red, itchy and watery. This is the third time it has happened since we got her. We know he has a severe allergy to cats, but he didn't think he had an allergy to dogs, as he grew up with them in his home, and sleeping with him in bed, etc.

It doesn't happen all the time, but we can't figure out what it is that is triggering it. With cats, he doesn't have to even touch them, just being in the same room makes his face blow up and his eyes disappear. He can have Chula sitting on him one day and he's fine, the next and his eyes are red.

Any experience with this? Thoughts or suggestions?

Allergies can form at any age in life or it takes time for them to develop fully and to start to show. It could be the dog as my mom had cats a child but as she got older she became deathly allergic to them. Usually when you first show symptoms to a developing allergies it starts out as his is now and becomes worse over time as the allergy keeps becoming triggered. However, it could be something outside, something he ate, etc so I would see a doctor/dermatologist.

i'm allergic to cats (like severely, gives me asthma attacks) but not dogs. occasionally i will get a hair in my eye or nose and get a sneeze attack and my eyes will swell. it only happens sometimes so i just write it off. it's not all the time. i think some people just have bad allergies and anything can cause a flare up.

I would go to a doctor about this and see what they have to say.

I would absolutely die if I developed an allergy to dogs one day - does anybody know if there's a way to prevent developing allergies to certain things?

I don't know either, other than going on allergy medication. Was there anything else in common on the times this happened to him?  Such as weather, or did you just clean or something?  Maybe there was a lot of dust in the air.

That's odd that it just happened those few times

It is definitely from the dog, we just don't know why it's only intermittent. He thought maybe it was after she licked his hand and he touched his face, but wasn't sure. I guess we will just have to pay attention and try to connect the dots. I already had to get rid of cats because of his allergies, I am not getting rid of my puppy! He can sleep in the guest room where she isn't allowed.  :D

I would go to a doctor about this and see what they have to say.

I would absolutely die if I developed an allergy to dogs one day - does anybody know if there's a way to prevent developing allergies to certain things?

be around what you're allergic to. you can condition yourself to some things which makes your allergies less severe. and medication or just deal with it.

My suggestion is. If its not happening all the time, it could be that there's something on the dog that its picked up from outside which is why its not constant. It only occurs after having come into contact with whatever it is that's triggering your OH's eye.

I say this because I can't touch or sit near our cat George. But I can stroke cuddle and allow to sit on my knee our other cat lilu. The difference between the two? George is an outside cat, he goes out when he wants, hunts, wanders about an comes in when he wants. Lilu is a house cat. She never goes out, never hunts, never touches plants grass or trees.

As I say, it's a suggestion. Plus any basic over the counter antihistamine should sort it out and as your oh already has allergies he should have it to hand I'd have thought. I have asthma. But the dogs have never bothered me yet. The cat does, as does the rat. But not the dogs.

So perhaps a rub down with a towel or a brush down with dry shampoo when you come in from a walk.. Try the former first an if there's no improvement try the dry shampoo an a brush

Hahahahahaha that would be funny. Totally illegal, but funny. I might try it on myself so that I have an excuse for not getting up in the morning. 

I'll look into the dry shampoo. I've also heard of allergy wipes but not sure if those are good for husky fur.

be around what you're allergic to. you can condition yourself to some things which makes your allergies less severe. and medication or just deal with it.

No ...I meant..

I don't have any allergies, so I was wondering if there was a way to prevent developing allergies to certain things (in specifics: dogs). I heard it both ways - exposure to the thing you don't want to develop allergies can and can NOT encourage future allergy development to that thing.

And I know you can take medication for it, but I was talking about how much it would SUCK to develop a fatal allergy to dogs!