Bike-Joring Set-Ups?

Mobezilla

As the title says, how do you set up for bike-joring? I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.gonetothesnowdogs.com/store.html#ecwid:category=2419326&mode=product&product=10416588

I really like how it keeps the dog to the side of the bike, and I feel like it would give me more control when I'm biking near the road that can be busy, but would your dogs pull next to the bike? Or do you have a set up with your husky in front of your bike? Any responses appreciated and welcome!! :D

There's that and also this that keeps your dog to the side.

http://www.entirelypets.com/walkydog1.html?mr:trackingCode=2C9B8A05-EC27-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=11329624270&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=19880599990&origin=pla&gclid=CObZ_7DU5LUCFY9AMgodQz4ALg

I know mine wouldn't mind (except maya) pulling on the side rather then the front. It would definitely give you more control. You also won't hit your dog when you have to stop immediately and they won't randomly cross your path causing you to stop.

As the title says, how do you set up for bike-joring? I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.gonetothesnowdogs.com/store.html#ecwid:category=2419326&mode=product&product=10416588

I really like how it keeps the dog to the side of the bike, and I feel like it would give me more control when I'm biking near the road that can be busy, but would your dogs pull next to the bike? Or do you have a set up with your husky in front of your bike? Any responses appreciated and welcome!! :D

I go bikejoring with Kodi but I have him out front (attached to the centre of the handlebars). I have never tried having him attached to the seat before but I have heard it is beneficial because that is where you weight is.

I use something like this but I have done my own 'budget' version using some bits I had laying around the house.

The only thing I would say is to avoid running next to roads wherever possible, just for the obvious danger reasons :up:

I know Molly bikejors too so I have tagged her for you :up:

I run D on the side and the front (not at the same time lol)

Front is more fun and easier for them to run i find, but side is easier to control them. Generally you're also allowed to cycle with them in more places if they are on the side (like cycle paths) which you wouldn't be able to with them out in front

The only trouble with front is if they want to dash off to the side they can. Trouble with the side is they can pull the bike out from under you if they want

But i find its easier to train D to run next to the bike than infront because he can start at my pace and get used to it, instead of infront because he kept wanting to come back for cuddles when we started lol

Thanks for the input everyone! There is only a little section of the road we'd start on that is busy, but we could walk until we get to the neighborhood, and then its just a peaceful sidewalk neighborhood area from there. I think I may end up getting the side one - I am getting it for Cloud, as he is turning 1 year old, and I don't think his 19.5 pounds of fluff will be able to pull me much lol

Well I've finally made a decision and gotten this: http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-dog-bike-leash.html?gclid=COP-mZmI57UCFSGqPAodqiAADg

And I also picked up some 'Musher's Secret' while I was on their page as I've heard a lot of people use it. So between Cloud's harness, the walking belt, and now the Walky Dog, I'd say I'm set for summer!

....Just gotta dig out my bike and buy a helmet!

I have the walkydog.

Darwin loves a good run.

He's had me upto 25mph !!!

Once he hits a good straight and gets his stride on. . . . Awesome :)

I have the walkydog.

Darwin loves a good run.

He's had me upto 25mph !!!

Once he hits a good straight and gets his stride on. . . . Awesome :)

Awesome! I'm glad other husky owners have it, makes me feel a bit better. Do you also use/recommend Musher's Secret? I've seen it a few times but have never even thought of putting stuff on their paws!

If they are a pup at least a year old then their pads may well still be quite soft.

Mushers secret will help toughen them up.

However stopping them from licking it off before it gets to work. . . difficult.

(good for toughening up the pads of your fingers when first learning to play the guitar too)

If they are a pup at least a year old then their pads may well still be quite soft.

Mushers secret will help toughen them up.

However stopping them from licking it off before it gets to work. . . difficult.

(good for toughening up the pads of your fingers when first learning to play the guitar too)

lol ok. Yeah I'm about to get Cloud started here, he turns a year old in 11 days -squee-. I don't think he'll lick it, he's not too interested or bothered when I put stuff on him. Yuki on the other hand.. well I'll tell you the end result here in 5 months  :rolleyes:

Glad you've pretty much sorted yourself out, remember to take it steady at first but for the most part enjoy yourself. There is nothing I like more than taking Kodi out on the bike!!

Yup gonna start out slow for sure. Thanks for all your advice Abby, Molly, Andy, and Dave! I just really wanted something besides walking I could take Cloud out on to burn his energy without Yuki along, and I think biking is the perfect thing! :)

Yup gonna start out slow for sure. Thanks for all your advice! I just really wanted something besides walking I could take Cloud out on to burn his energy without Yuki along, and I think biking is the perfect thing! :)

I'm sure you'll both absolutely love it ;)

i also do it at the side, more control i think, less likely to have an accident too :)

Yup seems like it to me! I even found someone who uses two WalkyDogs, one on each side, and has no issues with his two sibes. So it will be nice to order another one when Yuki turns a year old and add her onto the other side hehe :D

• 1 month later...

What happens now? You have Link! ;)

Lol since Cloud hated the bike I haven't been taking him out on it as much. He's a lazy dog, what can I say. So now we're using Link on it :) Still gotta get him a proper julius k9 harness though!