For Those Who Are Married Or Live With Partner...

Chula

It's a new thing for you two. Eventually you'll both kind of settle in to having a dog. Your hubby kinda sounds like me. At first, I wasn't really into training the dog and didn't understand much about how to do so. Getting one was really her idea.

I've never admitted this on the forum, but when we first got Troy (first dog, older Siberian), I was ready to "take his stupid ass back to the pound". The gf got me Siberian Huskies for Dummies. I actually read it. I came here, and learned. I still have a bit of a unique way of training them (mix of older and new techniques), but I'm a LOT more educated on them. Lol, not only did Troy stay with us, but he now has two "siblings" (both newer dogs were my idea, and I had to fight for both), a website, Facebook profile, and a "dad" who adores the little guy. Now, I do far more training with them. I'm actually the one who gets frustrated bc my gf doesn't do stuff correctly. I'm also the one who goes and does things with them (walks, bike rides, park, etc)

So, as a hard headed guy, sometimes it takes a while for us to come around. Keep nudging him in the right direction.

If he is willing to listen to logic and reason, buy a book, find a few passages that are important and get him to read them. Once he realizes the inadvertent consequences of his actions, he might wise up. Hell, he might even go get two more dogs. :)

Good luck.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am laying in bed listening to him try to feed her breakfast. She barks and jumps when he opens the cabinet where her food is. I told him if he walks away while she's doing that, she will learn she needs to be quiet to get fed. But he prefers to struggle. It's funny actually cause she sits nice for me. :)

If he'd put in the work now, it will be so much easier later. At least last night was calm! Thanks again all.

My husband grew up on a farm...so they didn't have pets. They had goats and barn cats. They (his parents) are very old fashioned when it comes to animals, to say the least.

So, we kind of clash when it comes to Diesel, because I was raised with always having a dog as a best friend when I was a child living with my parents. My husband has kind of opened up to Diesel and thinks of him as a child, but it was really hard for him. Sometimes, I feel like I am the leader of the house and the disciplinarian...when it should be both of us doing the punishing or whatever. Diesel respects both of us equally, and that's because I make sure my husband follows through. I just hope he is not this way when we finally have children...

Me and my husband don't argue about the dog because well, he likes the dog. He's the one that gets rough with her and gives her that wrestling match that she wants. When it comes to when the dog misbehave (snatching food and what not) we are pretty much on the same page. When we argue about the pets, its mainly about the cat because he DESPISES the cat and the cat LOATHES my husband. They have staring contests and what not and the cat will misbehave in front of him just to make him mad.

We don't argue. But we definitely do things differently. He's the softie I'm the disciplinarian. I get a better response from mine than he does, they listen better and are better behaved with me. I can, at a push manage all four together, although he has the strength he'd never attempt all four as it would stress him out lol.

Funny how on reading all the posts it's the women who tend on the whole to take on that task. Just as women on the whole are the boss when it comes to children yet society in general see the man as the disciplinarian lol hey ho

We've been married 22 years, always had dogs, though we are new to huskies (we've only had Storm since August).

I would say we've never argued over the dogs, and our approach is pretty much the same. I do most of the walking, feeding, grooming, training etc, but we both accept the same limitations for the dogs.

Every dog we have had is allowed on the settee, chair, bed when we're there, but not when we're not, treats, but only in return for something. My OH didn't want Storm on the settee when we first got him, but I argued that we cannot let Holly on without the same going for Storm.

Our dogs do not get left-overs or scraps, other than the odd carrot. They do not get their food until released. Both of us will remove their food after 5 minutes - though this is rarely necessary! They do not go out of the front door until allowed (they sit on their leads with the door open until allowed out). Storm is getting better at walking to heal, but we're both consistant on our approach to this one.

I do get stick over not drying their paws properly when returning from a walk, and occasionally over the fur (it was me that wanted Storm), but nothing serious. Neither of us would change either of our dogs as they're both gorgeous. I would like another Husky, where as the OH doesn't, but I'm resisting until I can honestly say that Storm walks well to heal.

For both of us, the dogs are simply part of the family. Both of ours are really good (not typical judging by some of the things I read!) - Eve bakes bread and buns, leaving them out overnight on the work surfaces - neither of ours would consider nicking these, even though they are within easy reach.

We've been married 22 years, always had dogs, though we are new to huskies (we've only had Storm since August).I would say we've never argued over the dogs, and our approach is pretty much the same. I do most of the walking, feeding, grooming, training etc, but we both accept the same limitations for the dogs.Every dog we have had is allowed on the settee, chair, bed when we're there, but not when we're not, treats, but only in return for something. My OH didn't want Storm on the settee when we first got him, but I argued that we cannot let Holly on without the same going for Storm.Our dogs do not get left-overs or scraps, other than the odd carrot. They do not get their food until released. Both of us will remove their food after 5 minutes - though this is rarely necessary! They do not go out of the front door until allowed (they sit on their leads with the door open until allowed out). Storm is getting better at walking to heal, but we're both consistant on our approach to this one.I do get stick over not drying their paws properly when returning from a walk, and occasionally over the fur (it was me that wanted Storm), biut nothing serious. Neither of us would change either of our dogs as they're both gorgeous. I would like another Husky, where as the OH doesn't, but I'm resisting until I can honestly say that Storm walks well to heal.For both of us, the dogs are simply part of the family. Both of ours are really good (not typical judging by some of the things I read!) - Eve bakes bread and buns, leaving them out overnight on the work surfaces - neither of ours would consider nicking these, even though they are within easy reach.

Do you think it helps you have another dog of a different breed that is obedient? In that its a constant example of good behaviour and your husky follows that example to a certain degree?

We have cats that jump up on surfaces and I think it confuses the dogs even though they're told to get down (the cats) the dogs won't do it when I'm there but do when I'm not. But then I wouldn't leave things out either. In the same way when we eat, they know they have to be away from the table lying down and not looking at us.

I do most of it in our house, walking though i'm trying to tear hubby away from his life support machine aka his computer - that's sometimes more challenging than training the dogs! lol Grooming / feeding / arranging boosters, vet visits training etc i do though and hubby is fairly good at doing as he's told 

Do you think it helps you have another dog of a different breed that is obedient? In that its a constant example of good behaviour and your husky follows that example to a certain degree?

We have cats that jump up on surfaces and I think it confuses the dogs even though they're told to get down (the cats) the dogs won't do it when I'm there but do when I'm not. But then I wouldn't leave things out either. In the same way when we eat, they know they have to be away from the table lying down and not looking at us.

They are definitely good for each other, but Storm is probably more trust-worthy than our cross-Collie when it comes to work surfaces. Holly is nervous of any bangs - since we had Storm, she is much better, as a little of his confidence rubs off. Holly walks perfectly to heal, but this does not affect Storm's wanting to pull, so I guess the answer to your original question is probably not!

I've had many rants on and off here regular ding the different approaches I have compared to Jamie's (husband) dad, Paul towards the dogs.

Paul's method with dogs is to spoil them and let them have everything they want and the dogs do love him for it. But they don't have much respect for him.

I love to spoil them but I want them to earn what they get and show me respect as their leader. I find the dogs show more respect to me but sometimes me and Paul do clash about things.

Don't feel too badly about it guys.

I am married and my hubby was the one that island hopped to to get chewy back in the day lol

I am mother incarnate and the only adult in my house lol my hubby has never aged past maybe 14 hahahaha he only exerts discipline when he can't avoid it.

If it is husky and/ or child related, then you can bet that 95 to 99% of the time it's me doing it lol

I'm ok with all that tho, seeing as busy life is what I am best suited to. If I have nothing to be doing, then I'm a royal pain, that's the truth of it. I do have moments like every wife when I totally wish he'd help a bit but hey- it was my love of animals that has brought all the furry pack members here to our home...so they are my responsibility :)

To be honest I have yet to meet married parents that truly have the same style of raising furry or human kids, so don't let that eat at yah too bad. I would consider it highly unusual, maybe even alien in nature to meet parents

That never argued about these things.

Honestly though I sat down josh and we discussed what we both expected of Luka. We've started training from scratch again as Lukas behavior to Josh has gotten out of hand. He's not aggressive but he but Josh a couple weeks ago.

Josh is now working with recall and basic commands and I must say I'm pretty pleased as he's really trying and Luka is responding well.

My point is you have to make sure it doesn't get to the point where your dog is flat out disobeying and aggressive to your other half. It causes stress for your dog and even more, your relationship.

Sure we do. :D

First we argued whether to neuter him. Jay, my boyfriend was for neutering, me against it. I won, he did his readings and changed his mind. (I did want the options to have puppies but I did my readings on BYBs and rescues later on and just now have no health reason to go with neutering).

I used to scold him many times for not doing with Ghost what I told him to like - walk him mostly on the grass and not on pavements, that he needs to be on left side not on the right side... It got to a point where he told me that I am talking to him as if he were the dog. :D So I had to back off and now I only talk in my mind when I see him do something wrong.

Now he respects that I know more, because I go to classes with Ghost, so I tell him what and how some commands need to be executed with Ghost.

We, well he, has made a schedule when will each of us take Ghost out. It was supposed to be me in the mornings and lunch and he in the afternoon to night. Well it was more like me all day. And when I wanted to sleep in 2 days in a row he was all about the schedule, which as I told him we weren't really following unless he was supposed to take Ghost out for me.

Now most days I take Ghost out, for training purposes it's essential to have treats and when he takes Ghost out, he doesn't really take treats with him...

It's like that almost everywhere.