Luka Bit Josh

LittleLuka

Well I've never attached a lead to Luka's collar. He's had a harness from like day 1. I've noticed when I'm guiding him with his collar he jerks around and acts like a maniac. I don't pull his collar really it's more like when he's muddy and i'm guiding him from the backdoor to the bathroom to get rinsed off in the tub.

Saturday night Josh was leading him to the bathroom and he turned around and bit Josh's hand. And I mean bit hard, like broke the skin and Josh has a pretty nasty cut on his hand. Obviously I wasn't there to see if Josh was yanking on his collar too hard (which wouldn't surprise me) but I have noticed how Luka panics when you grab his collar.

Not to mention, Luka has been a little aggressive since Sera was here. I've been working on it and he's been acting much better.

My question is how do i work on him with his fear of his collar being touched? and any idea why he's bothered by it in the first place? I'm thinking because we never touch his collar? He's never been abused or anything... and he LOVES his harness. He runs to the door when i hold it up and patiently waits for me to put it on him.

If you've never touched his collar as a puppy, its very likely he could just be scared and defensive. The neck is a very sensitive and important part of all animals - in the wild, a lot of predators (some like the wolves are the exception) go for the jugular (on the neck) to kill, so you can understand his panic. Even though you or Josh obviously wouldn't 'go for the jugular' on him, or even hurt him, its an instinctual fear response. Cause, at first, he tried to get away (flight), and when that wouldn't work he did the only thing he could to 'protect' himself..bite (fight)

As for trying to fix it...I don't have any experience with this but you might want to try this:

- Touch his collar. If he doesn't react, give a treat.

- Next, grab his collar. No reaction? Treat.

- lightly pull on his collar. No reaction? Treat.

And etc.

I don't have any advice since Balto always has his collar touched and when we take him outside to potty we attach his leash to his collar. I do hope that you figure it out. Good luck

yeah i have never done that because it's easy for him to slip his collar. he only has one to hold his tags. i use his harness for taking him out.

If you've never touched his collar as a puppy, its very likely he could just be scared and defensive. The neck is a very sensitive and important part of all animals - in the wild, a lot of predators (some like the wolves are the exception) go for the jugular (on the neck) to kill, so you can understand his panic. Even though you or Josh obviously wouldn't 'go for the jugular' on him, or even hurt him, its an instinctual fear response. Cause, at first, he tried to get away (flight), and when that wouldn't work he did the only thing he could to 'protect' himself..bite (fight)

As for trying to fix it...I don't have any experience with this but you might want to try this:

- Touch his collar. If he doesn't react, give a treat.

- Next, grab his collar. No reaction? Treat.

- lightly pull on his collar. No reaction? Treat.

And etc.

thanks will try this! maybe should have Josh do it as well as Luka's more freaked by him than me.

As Elyse says in the wild, wolves and wild dogs will grab the back of the neck to force them down for submission.

When Echo and darwin have fought in the past darwin will try to do just that.

So when a dog that isn't used to being handled at the back of the neck they will sometimes suspect that they are be forced into submission and retaliate.

you have to desensitize the area with the techniques Elyse suggested.

As Elyse says in the wild, wolves and wild dogs will grab the back of the neck to force them down for submission.

When Echo and darwin have fought in the past darwin will try to do just that.

So when a dog that isn't used to being handled at the back of the neck they will sometimes suspect that they are be forced into submission and retaliate.

you have to desensitize the area with the techniques Elyse suggested.

hmm maybe that's it. he doesn't mind if i touch his collar or rub his neck he just doesn't like when you pull on it and try to walk him. ill try the treat method.