Kodi's Pulled His Hair Out

Dave

So I get home from work and Kodi has nawed a section of his fur away!!

He's blowing his coat at the moment so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I've put some skin cream (for dogs) onto it which we got from the vets and put his cone of shame on. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and I'm sure it'll clear up.

Anyone else experienced anything like this before?

*picture to follow*

When we rescued Darwin he was a year old and had been living in a flat in London.

While his owners did thier best the poor pup was just getting stressed at being cooped up all day on his own.

As a result of the stress he had stripped away most of the fur on his tail, it was so sad to know that Huskies have a glorious bushy tail

and darwin had this thin ratty thing.

Darwintailmay20101.jpg

Within a year it was back to where it should be.

It's most likely as Sid suggests just a Hot spot and Kodi has stripped it away because it's sore or irritable.

However it could be a stress reaction like Darwin.

When we rescued Darwin he was a year old and had been living in a flat in London.

While his owners did thier best the poor pup was just getting stressed at being cooped up all day on his own.

As a result of the stress he had stripped away most of the fur on his tail, it was so sad to know that Huskies have a glorious bushy tail

and darwin had this thin ratty thing.

Darwintailmay20101.jpg

Within a year it was back to where it should be.

It's most likely as Sid suggests just a Hot spot and Kodi has stripped it away because it's sore or irritable.

However it could be a stress reaction like Darwin.

Thanks Andy,

I don't think it will be stress as no circumstances have changed within our house for quite some time. He has always had problems with licking his skin if he gets mozzy bits etc. I shall probably head down the vets just to be sure

Ok, I have cut the hair away around the affected area, seems sensitive (as expected) but Kodi has a really good temperament so now growling / snapping. He seems ok in his demeanour too which is good.

I had a collie who would bite at the base of her tail, it looked a lot like your picture.

The vet said she had dermititis which would cause her to itch, but once she started she would chew herself sore. She would have to wear the collar of shame until it healed, but it was never long before she did it to herself again. When you have an itch, it has to be itched :(

We found she would be worse if she got too hot

Hope you get it sorted soon

I had a collie who would bite at the base of her tail, it looked a lot like your picture.

The vet said she had dermititis which would cause her to itch, but once she started she would chew herself sore. She would have to wear the collar of shame until it healed, but it was never long before she did it to herself again. When you have an itch, it has to be itched :(

We found she would be worse if she got too hot

Hope you get it sorted soon

Yeah, Kodi has had problems with his skin before... Damn them itches lol

its no fun for them, or us who has to watch their discomfort :(

The same dog also had a grass allergy....I know a collie with a grass allergy!!!........the vet advised we rub her stomach with vaseline, this acted as a barrier to the grass and helped reduce the irritaion caused. Not sure if this is somthing which could help in your case, but may be worth a try if it keeps occuring in the same part of the body

its no fun for them, or us who has to watch their discomfort :(

The same dog also had a grass allergy....I know a collie with a grass allergy!!!........the vet advised we rub her stomach with vaseline, this acted as a barrier to the grass and helped reduce the irritaion caused. Not sure if this is somthing which could help in your case, but may be worth a try if it keeps occuring in the same part of the body

I will defiantly bear that in mind yeah, thank you very much