Really? Who Steals A Phone!?

HuskyMom09

I am soooo steamed tonight it's not even funny!  Last night while responding to a fatality car accident, someone back at the station decided to help themselves to my pockets. My iPhone, gone.  How can this be? Could one of my co-workers really do this?  My LifeProof case was found this morning in the ditch near the station completely demolished, but no sign of the phone itself.  For those who are familiar with this case you know it's not one the phone would just fall out of.  So it's become very clear to me that the phone was removed prior to the case being tossed.  I am so discouraged, the station is supposed to be safe for us to leave our stuff in the time of a call, but also these men/women are people I'm supposed to be able to trust to have my back in the worst of the worst, how am I supposed to trust someone that is willing to steal from me?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry - there are a lot of horrible people out there...even people you work with! :(

I trust you reported this to your supervisor? Maybe they can check any security cameras?

We do not have security cameras within the fire station, and certainly none in the bathroom where I changed out of my duty clothes into my turnouts.  The Chief has been notified by email since he is at a fire conference out of town, and my Captain and I talked today as well.  We're all perplexed, this kind of stuff may happen within the general public but we supposed to be a brotherhood/sisterhood.  Our very lives depend on being able to rely and trust each other.

If someone is short of money even a phone can be sold for enough.

If you know the imei number you can get it blocked 

So sad you now cannot trust your workmates.

except those that were out on the "shout" with you.

I've used the track my iPhone before. I couldn't find mine, turned it on and found that I left mine at work! You can even disable the phone and wipe it clean too Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awful, do you have the 'track my iPhone' feature turned on... maybe you can sign into your account and find out where the phone is using its GPS?

I do have the find my iPhone feature enabled on mine.  So far the phone has not been turned back on since that night.  I'm watching it though that is for sure!  I have it set to notify that the phone is lost/stolen on the screen and to erase when it connects to internet again.  Even my Captain is perplexed, at this point all they stole was a glorified iPod.  I saw what was left of my case, it was not pretty. 

What is this track my iphone thing Dave???

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8 ;)

I do have the find my iPhone feature enabled on mine.  So far the phone has not been turned back on since that night.  I'm watching it though that is for sure!  I have it set to notify that the phone is lost/stolen on the screen and to erase when it connects to internet again.  Even my Captain is perplexed, at this point all they stole was a glorified iPod.  I saw what was left of my case, it was not pretty. 

Still unbelievable what people will do but it's good that you have that turned on so if they do connect it, you can turn it into something useless for them 

Sorry to here you got your phone nicked :( but if 2 things of any good come outta this let it be that if it can be installed on a phone some type of tracker is put on it and used ( you would be surprised how many have it on and dont use it ) and all pictures taken with a smart phone are uploaded automatically to something like Google+ that way they can never be lost.

Don't sound like there is going to be much chance of it but hope you get your phone back.  

I have a feeling that IF we find out who has the sticky fingers, they will be losing their position at the fire station and I wouldn't put it past our Chief to press charges to set an example.  I can't wait to hear back from the Chief on the matter, he gets back tomorrow.

Yeah, I hope you find out who did this.

The few times I've lost my iphone, I've been so glad I've had the 'Find my iPhone' app on. I lock the screen, tell it to let out a shrill ring every minute or so (if needed), the screen flashes, and I track it using its built in GPS.

Thankfully, every time its been returned to me. The first time I lost it and I didn't have the app on, I was so afraid it was gone forever, but some guy gave it to the bus station's lost and found.

That's terrible, it leaves you feeling quite vulnerable.

Could your chief make an announcement stating what's happened an give whoever it is the opportunity to return it anonymously or they'll take further action? It's not ideal as they get away with having done it and you still have to work with the uncertainty it may happen again and the trust within the unit is gone, but you may get the phone back.

My daughter is a teacher and had her 4 day old iPhone taken from her handbag in the classroom. They aren't provided with a facility to lock up their bags?? So it was under her desk and taken during class ( she teaches science so its a lab.) it happened two weeks before her partner left for a 6 month tour in Afghanistan and she was 5 months pregnant. The child who took it had already doctored it to work as an iPod only and wiped it completely. There was no punishment, no informing of parents and nothing to deter him from doing it again. He was 14 and already on several warnings leading towards suspension. At the time she was just glad to have the phone back. I on the other hand wanted to string the boy up by his gooleys.

Yeah, I hope you find out who did this.

The few times I've lost my iphone, I've been so glad I've had the 'Find my iPhone' app on. I lock the screen, tell it to let out a shrill ring every minute or so (if needed), the screen flashes, and I track it using its built in GPS.

Thankfully, every time its been returned to me. The first time I lost it and I didn't have the app on, I was so afraid it was gone forever, but some guy gave it to the bus station's lost and found.

We've had the Find My Phone enabled forever, my husband is a planner...I always thought it was kinda stupid.   Then he lost his phone at a dog show-  He did the same thing we tracked it through my phone, had it notifying on the screen to call my phone if found, and setting off tones.  Luckily someone had found it and returned it to the Show Steward's table, we found it easily enough.

That's terrible, it leaves you feeling quite vulnerable.

Could your chief make an announcement stating what's happened an give whoever it is the opportunity to return it anonymously or they'll take further action? It's not ideal as they get away with having done it and you still have to work with the uncertainty it may happen again and the trust within the unit is gone, but you may get the phone back.

My daughter is a teacher and had her 4 day old iPhone taken from her handbag in the classroom. They aren't provided with a facility to lock up their bags?? So it was under her desk and taken during class ( she teaches science so its a lab.) it happened two weeks before her partner left for a 6 month tour in Afghanistan and she was 5 months pregnant. The child who took it had already doctored it to work as an iPod only and wiped it completely. There was no punishment, no informing of parents and nothing to deter him from doing it again. He was 14 and already on several warnings leading towards suspension. At the time she was just glad to have the phone back. I on the other hand wanted to string the boy up by his gooleys.

One of my Lt's put it out in our Daily email update that my phone was lost to be on the lookout.  It was right after the email one of our guys found my case in the ditch destroyed.  I have a feeling that offering a return without penalty may just prompt whoever has the sticky fingers to dispose of the phone if they haven't already.

So an update- we are deeming the phone stolen.  Insurance has been contacted, police report filed.  This is actually a Class C Felony, 2nd degree theft since the phone value to replace outright is $750 plus the $80 case that it had on it at the time.  If the person who took my phone is found they could be looking at 5yrs and up to $10,000 fine, not to mention obviously immediate dismissal from here.  Head is spinning and feel so lost without it.

I don't understand why they would steak it..

If it's reported stolen it will have bad ESN. And it will be nothing more than an iPod or paper weight, they'll never be bale to use it..

Some people are so stupid and selfish.

Do you have Find My iPhone? It's a great app.