So Embarrassed :(

Julieanne

Rafeal had his first vet visit since we got him and he freaked out. He didn't want to move.

He was an angel until we were outside the house, the receptionist kept telling me he was spoilt and "You need to train him"!!

In an extremely critical voice  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I realize he needs training but this was his first time and IMO the staff were quiet intimidating.

Wish I had gone to our regular vet!!

Feel like such an idiot!!

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  

EDIT: She was also quick to assume he had a bad personality because he was timid.

And this probably belongs in the steam room lol  :P

Julieanne, you received a really bad service. This is not her job to make comments on your dog, unless you asked her for advice. If I were in your shoes I would remind her politely that making such comments is not what she is paid for, or, if you do not feel like talking, just change your vet practice, because next time she will say something even more annoying. Do not take other people's problems to your life, your dog, your training, your rules (as long as it does not make any real harm). I am with you.

Louise he is 5 months old and has always been a bit timid when something new comes around, which is normal in my opinion. It was a funny picture in my head imagining you trying to get Storm in  :rofl:

I agree Magdalena with your statement 100%.

It would be like if I gave the person with puppies a lecture on ethical breeding, I don't know the situation and I wasn't asked so I didn't judge.

They did give good advice on the best food for him among other things but people wont want to listen if that's how they choose to act.

Louise he is 5 months old and has always been a bit timid when something new comes around, which is normal in my opinion. It was a funny picture in my head imagining you trying to get Storm in  :rofl:

I agree Magdalena with your statement 100%.

It would be like if I gave the person with puppies a lecture on ethical breeding, I don't know the situation and I wasn't asked so I didn't judge.

They did give good advice on the best food for him among other things but people wont want to listen if that's how they choose to act.

lol Im glad it made you laugh, Storm is no small dog, hes easily 30kg since hes a cross! lol

As it was his first visit the vets should of gone out of their way to make it a pleasant experience for you both! Even if repeat business is their only motive!! And that includes the receptionist!!! My vet was lovely and Elka was given lots of treats and praise. Your puppy was probably picking up on the vibe they were giving out a more welcoming environment would of calmed him. DON'T BE EMBARRASSED IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT OR YOUR PUPS!!! 

If it makes you feel any better, Kira hates the vet, she doesn't even want to get out of the car there and I have to drag her inside. She's all panicy and scared.

The thing is, our vet loves her, but she hates him cos she knows that when she's there it ain't for anything good. It started when she had a pneumonia and had to take shots every day for a week, a younger vet gave her one in the leg (it's supposed to act faster from there, but it hurts more) and she cryed and howeled like never before or after, and few months after that she had a spaying operation, so again no good, so I understand her pain.

What I'm saying, don't be embarrassed, you're nor the first nor the last person who's pets are scared to death when they see a vet ;)

That's horrible service right there...

And, just to make you feel a little more better...

Suka is a 75 lbs Sibe/Mal mix. He's not afraid of anything - and is a very confident dog.

However, at the vet, he either tries to squeeze himself underneath the chair in the waiting room (funny to watch, haha!) or hides in a corner trying to make himself seem small and inconspicuous!

The first time we took Balto to the vet he went potty before we came in and once we got inside he was so scared he peed. It was super embarrassing and we felt so bad but the vet just said it is no big deal. They went slowly with him and gave him praise and treats. Now when we go and as soon as we walk in he goes right to the receptionist and vet waiting for his treat and let them do whatever. So I think you need a new vet, if they were that rude to me and my dog I would have walked out (and if I didn't walk out I am pretty sure my finace would be dragging me out)

Dont feel embarassed that receptionist should feel embarassed the way she spoke to you.  She is not paid for her opinions.  Vader does not like the vet either and has tried taking several hands off to prove it.  We did a ton of research and made just as many phone calls to find one that will make him comfortable.  We love our regular vet for the others but Vader has to have a different one and that it fine with us. 

Food for thought here....There are many smells at the vet.  Think of all the animals that come through and are scared.  Do we think that they scrub from celing to floor everyday?  Those smells add up and no wonder some of our dogs don't like vets?  Just my opinion but all the smells can put fear, intimidation and insecurity in our dogs.  Some handle it well and others don't know how to react.  I am not possitive on my theory but to me it makes sense :P

You're not an idiot, the receptionist is. She should know from the work she does animals recognise the vets and are intimidated by it. Just the smell of the antiseptic alone is off putting not to mention all those other mixed up animal smells from sick pets coming an going. Loki will bounce quite happily into the reception area and point blank refuse to enter the consulting room as his nose obviously kicks in a bit late (he's not the brightest bulb in the box) I then have to manhandle his 32kgs with all his anchors on (involves sliding his bum along the floor, him with his front legs out straight, elbows locked head set back in his neck) once inside, he glues the underside of his neck an chin to the door. And all he's ever had done is vaccinations microchip and implant!!

a new vet is in order I think. I seldom have any problems with mine - the one time I did was when Storm had her anal glands done and she was very reluctant to go back so the vet suggested I take her along anytime to visit with no treatment and she has been fine ever since.

When we first had Charlie (4 months old) he wee'd inthe reception. Iwas embarrassed but receptionist was fine, the only trouble we've had is getting them to give the dogs back and not take them home lol. You need yo complain to the vet remind them they will lose custom. We all know ankmaks act up when stressed not their fault.