Grooming

BrittanyNicole

my two just for nails and maybe at end of summer for a good bath cos thay swim in a pond in summer and thay start to get a bit smelly and bath at groomers is high up and i can manage better cos i have a bad back but our local groomers let you bath your own dogs which makes it realy cheap

Well, I have an appointment for her on Saturday and I was just wondering because I don't know how I should get her hair done. I need to have her hair trimmed on the back of her legs and inside of her thighs because her leaking issue has stained her fur. :( And all of her puppy hair is falling out so I'm sure they're going to brush it all out as much as they can. Just wanted to trim her down since it's getting hotter here now. Lovely Texas weather.

Just don't shave her!  Actually the fur and undercoat protects them in the heat as well as the cold.  Good ways to keep her cool is to fill up a kiddie pool if she is outside, plenty of water, ice cubes are a good treat! 

Just don't shave her!  Actually the fur and undercoat protects them in the heat as well as the cold.  Good ways to keep her cool is to fill up a kiddie pool if she is outside, plenty of water, ice cubes are a good treat! 

So should I just have them bathe her really well and them brush out all of her shedding hair and them trim her yellowing hair on her legs? Or should I see if they can wash that out with a whitening shampoo?

I would request the whitening shampoo.  Yukon's fur was stained yellowish but it was from his food, so I used that.  It didn't take care of all of it, but it did help a little.  My groomer will use a special deshedding shampoo and brush with the Furminator for 30 minutes and it takes alot of the hair out.

So should I just have them bathe her really well and them brush out all of her shedding hair and them trim her yellowing hair on her legs? Or should I see if they can wash that out with a whitening shampoo?

i'd get it washed out with a shampoo which should work. i don't cut Luka's hair at all. i just brush him weekly.

i've taken Luka to a groomer once and they were nice and all but he hated every minute of it so I just suck it up and do it myself now. More comfortable for him and myself.

Brittany, since I'm also in Texas - down by the Big Bend, in the desert - please *DO NOT* go for any kind of "cute cut".  The northern breeds hair is hollow ( or so I've been told ) and acts as an excellent insulation for the cold and the heat as well.

Sasha actually went through last summer with a full coat - top and bottom layers - and never had a problem.  Okay, I'll admit that she stayed inside with me ( uh, no A/C ) during the hottest parts of the day.  She's blown her winter coat and looks like she's putting on a second coat again.

Avalanche has a short coat and that idiot will actually lay out in the sun when we're at 100 or so! He *can* get inside, but he seems to enjoy a good sun bath!

In response to your last post, to keep her the most comfortable, yep, just a good bath and a good brushing and she'll be fine.

Brittany, since I'm also in Texas - down by the Big Bend, in the desert - please *DO NOT* go for any kind of "cute cut".  The northern breeds hair is hollow ( or so I've been told ) and acts as an excellent insulation for the cold and the heat as well.

Sasha actually went through last summer with a full coat - top and bottom layers - and never had a problem.  Okay, I'll admit that she stayed inside with me ( uh, no A/C ) during the hottest parts of the day.  She's blown her winter coat and looks like she's putting on a second coat again.

Avalanche has a short coat and that idiot will actually lay out in the sun when we're at 100 or so! He *can* get inside, but he seems to enjoy a good sun bath!

In response to your last post, to keep her the most comfortable, yep, just a good bath and a good brushing and she'll be fine.

HAHA! Nikko does the same thing in the heat.  It was like 100 out last summer and he wanted nothing more to go outside and lay on the hot concrete and sunbathe! 

Suka goes every 2 or so months to get the furminator treatment at Petsmart. They just cut his nails, give him a bath, and brush him out. I don't let them shave him, and he doesn't need trimming because his coat is always short and smooth.

Rusty goes to the groomer and gets a bath (furminator or whitening depending on the season), nails grinded, teeth brushed.  Only when I feel it's necessary do I ask them to trim the fur around the pads of his paws.  He has a shortish coat and all else is good.  I really want Rori to go being a wooley she hates to be brushed and I am afraid she might grrrrr at someone and them take it as aggression.  I am still trying to find a groomer that will take Vader.  I just find it difficult to do at home when you don't have outside water or the proper space to do it in.

Polee Is groomed by Pete's OH Louise aka @TheGroomer and is washed, blown and brushed.  I personally wouldn't advise using a furminator as they damage the guard hairs but instead use a blower which are more affective at removing the loose hair.

You don't shave or even trim a Siberian Husky!  Unless it's for medical reasons, only then it is acceptable.  The Siberian Husky is a very adaptable breed, and though they are built for cold weather- hence the ample undercoat- they can and do live well in warm climates as well without needing to be shaved.  The guard hair is designed to insulate from heat as well as the cold- by cutting, trimming, shaving, even using the furminator it breaks the guard hair and renders the hair non-functional.  The guard hair also keeps the skin, which in a Siberian is lacking melanin, from burning and from sun exposure caused skin cancers.  The main thing is to be sure your dog has ample access to cold fresh water and shade.  My first two lived with me for years in Phoenix AZ, never shaved no issues.