Taking Your Husky On A Trip??

HuskyGuerl

I would really love to go to the ocean and id love to take my dogs..but i dont want the risk of losing them while we are there or them not listening and it ruining everything..Have any of you took your dogs on a long trip??Id like to go for a week and its 12 hours one way in a car..We thought about maybe doggie day care but id love for them to be there with us as would he

Yes - Suka has gone camping with us a few times, and went with us when we rented a cottage for a few weeks. He's very good in the car, the longest drive we've been on is 6 hours and he's never complained.

When he's been with us for those 6 hour journeys, we let him out every 2 or so hours so he can stretch his legs and pee/poo. It also helps to have a lot of long-lasting treat chews and/or toys, so they are occupied during the trip.

We didn't have him when we went out east (drive was around 24 hours one way), but this is what we did:

Dad would drive for 6-8 hours, before he got tired. We'd stop at a hotel (we planned out ahead of time which ones we'd stay at.). We'd stay the night to re-coop, then in the morning we'd be back on the road again. Rinse and repeat until we got to P.E.I.

As for losing them...just make sure to keep them on leashes. If that isn't practical (ie: you're camping, obviously outside, and you don't want to/cant bring him everywhere on a leash), buy tie outs rated for 100+ pound dogs, and stick them deep in the ground. They hold my 75 pound boy when he's pulling.

Plenty of rest stops. Plenty of water

A BIG hide bone,

you'll find they probably sleep for a good portion of the journey.

we take our 3 everywhere with us, camping, visiting relatives in Scotland etc, although our longest drive has been around 6 hrs. But like Elyse said, we stopped every 2 hrs or so for a break, give them a walk, toilet, drink etc, then back on the road & they were fine.

Being outdoors etc is a big thing, you do want to make sure they are secure. When we camp, we either use tie out lines (like mushers use to hold their dogs between races, staked into the ground) or harness & leads ties to a tree / car wheel. Failing that & if you have room, take crates for them. There are always options it's just what suits best

Since I like to camp and I like my dogs, what I've done in the past is to get 100' of clothesline cable ( my preference is metal cable ) tie it to two trees that are as far apart as I can reasonably manage and then prepare myself for unwinding dogs from every twig they can find.

As for traveling, I've found that almost every dog I've ever had know the difference between "a quick trip to the store" and "a long trip", they may set up and look around once in a while, but with mine, as soon as I hit the open road, they kick back and go to sleep until the speed changes.

I have, and still do, use 100' ropes as long leads for when I want to let them run or swim ....

We have only took them to the lake which is an hour a way so we dont stay and they did pretty good we kept them on leashes and a long horse lead tied to a tree so they can venture in the water while we take lunch break..they have also been to the river but its not far either..they do pretty amazing in a car that far..Echo and meeka both love going bye bye even if its down the road to dump trash..As soon as you say the word bye them two are hootin and howlerin like crazy standing at the door ready to go lol...Echo is currently the only one who has a harness but i plan to go by another this weekend for cherokee since im back to working...i just dont know about buying the two girls one yet since they are not done growing..Plus we have a while till we plan to go any ways..we want to go in september..already been looking at places that allow our number of dogs and trying to find hotels also so we dont have to drive the whole 12 hours we can take a rest...we own a four door cavalier so i dont think it would be very comfy for four dogs to ride in :-( thats my only concern..we also have a truck though that a camper shell can go on and we thought about putting their cages back their and sticking them in them so they are more un crowded and comfy plus the camper shell provides protection from the sun, rain, etc...and we have a fan that we can put back their to blow on them so it dont get to hot on the way down it plugs into my hubby cigeratte lighter..and the camper shell has windows that can slide open...also thought maybe putting two up front with us and two in the back and rotate them every time we stop so they all not stuck in cages..we might wait intill next year so we can get all this figured out because neither one of us want to leave them home and we dont want to leave them at doggie day care dont want the risk of them being stolen!  Also it might be better when the pups are a little more grown up and listening better since we are still going through that "i can do whatever i want" stage :P

We took Broder with us on a 2 month trip around France and Spain in our little camper van - he loved it! 

Just make sure you've got somewhere safe for them to go, whether that be crates, stakes outs etc. Let them out every so often if you're driving a lot. 

:)

Seat belt harness things? They clip into the seat belt buckle and have a clip on the other end which you clip to their harness / collar to restrict their movement in the car? Also some dog guards - depending on how many dogs and size / space in the car - a guard between the boot / back seat and/or the one that goes between the two front seats to stop them from 'helping' you drive?

We have only took them to the lake which is an hour a way so we dont stay and they did pretty good we kept them on leashes and a long horse lead tied to a tree so they can venture in the water while we take lunch break..they have also been to the river but its not far either..they do pretty amazing in a car that far..Echo and meeka both love going bye bye even if its down the road to dump trash..As soon as you say the word bye them two are hootin and howlerin like crazy standing at the door ready to go lol...Echo is currently the only one who has a harness but i plan to go by another this weekend for cherokee since im back to working...i just dont know about buying the two girls one yet since they are not done growing..Plus we have a while till we plan to go any ways..we want to go in september..already been looking at places that allow our number of dogs and trying to find hotels also so we dont have to drive the whole 12 hours we can take a rest...we own a four door cavalier so i dont think it would be very comfy for four dogs to ride in :-( thats my only concern..we also have a truck though that a camper shell can go on and we thought about putting their cages back their and sticking them in them so they are more un crowded and comfy plus the camper shell provides protection from the sun, rain, etc...and we have a fan that we can put back their to blow on them so it dont get to hot on the way down it plugs into my hubby cigeratte lighter..and the camper shell has windows that can slide open...also thought maybe putting two up front with us and two in the back and rotate them every time we stop so they all not stuck in cages..we might wait intill next year so we can get all this figured out because neither one of us want to leave them home and we dont want to leave them at doggie day care dont want the risk of them being stolen!  Also it might be better when the pups are a little more grown up and listening better since we are still going through that "i can do whatever i want" stage :P

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan going on already! Check with the Red Lion Hotel chain...we've been told they don't have a size restriction on dogs at thier properties. (not sure about quantity) :D

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan going on already! Check with the Red Lion Hotel chain...we've been told they don't have a size restriction on dogs at thier properties. (not sure about quantity) :D

Oddly enough ether does Motel 6 - I'll admit they're "Budget" pricing ( sometimes with corresponding quality) but if you're traveling with a dog, ....

Oddly enough ether does Motel 6 - I'll admit they're "Budget" pricing ( sometimes with corresponding quality) but if you're traveling with a dog, ....

On a road trip.......a bed is a bed! :D If they will allow my kids to go along they are a friend of mine!

We've always taken our dogs from England to Poland since pet passports were introduced - approx 24 hours each way. Never had a problem with the journey, including being left alone in the car for a couple of hours on the ferry (which is mandatory). We feed them slightly less before the journey, and let them stretch their legs every 3-4 hours en-route. We have a good doggy memory foam pad which fits the back of the estate car perfectly, and quite often we won't see the dogs for hours as they are curled up and fast asleep. Storm is the best travelling dog we've ever had, but we've not had a dog yet that hasn't taken to it.

Thanks guys for all the replies!! Hubby and I have decided we are going to wait at least another year for the sake of the dogs and to allow them to grow some more and learn more :-P ..we are still looking at everything though so we can plan because the beach wont be fun without them with us for the week!!

We are going camping for the Easter 4 day weekend.

Phoenix loves car rides so we aren't worried about that... other than fitting everything in the car.

When Phoenix isn't attached to me via the walking belt, he will be on the stake out line which is the heaviest weighted one we could get or he will be in his crate which will be in our tent.